Thread: Help: Tips, guides and videos on some heroes

Account Icon

Help: Tips, guides and videos on some heroes

Hi, i'd like to request someone help to relearn the game. I stopped playing for a long time and i would like some tips, guides and if possible up to date videos on some heroes.

The heroes i'd like to learn more about are:

Warbeast
    Grinex
    Parasite
    Zephyr
    Emerald Warden
    KoTF
    Voodoo Jester

You can also share the way you play any of these heroes, even if it's not in the most conventional way

Account Icon
    I've got to say, training grounds and strategy forum was a lot better 1 year ago. What did it happen? Is everyone who actually likes to debate strategy gone?

Patch notes and hero/skills definitions may give you a general idea of how to play a certain hero. But there's nothing like other players experience to help newbies really understand what they're doing right/wrong and how to improve their gameplay or make someone try different hero builds that guides usually don't cover.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I understand your frustration, but I think you are getting a bit too impatient.

Account Icon
    You're probably right. Just got a bit disappointed about how much the forum changed. It has changed a lot over the years, but i wasn't expecting that the main focus (well at least in my opinion) of the forums would be this empty.

Anyway, i've played a couple of matches. I usually start with one hero and then when i feel comfortable with it i try to learn a new one.
    The main change that i felt about warbeast was his mana needs. You can play the full match now without worrying about mana at all. He also seems to have more room for a little mistake in the beginning, compared with before. Being ganked at the start doesn't hurt that much either, and you can grab level 6 fast even if you're not trying that hard.
    Even though battlecry was nerfed, the fact that you can sustain yourself the whole game without going to base and help your team more often, i would say that the hero is actually stronger now.

So i would say that going is still the way to go most of the games. Going is still fun but i don't feel like warbeast needs the mana and the cooldown makes warbeast less active. You also have cheaper and better alternatives against invis or against enemies with lots of magic dmg.
    I usually throw a when the enemy team has lots of magic dmg but only 1/2 stuns.
    seems a bit useless now that tp's are so cheap. The game must be pretty screwed if you're forced to buy it in order to save it.
    seems viable like always, but removes a lot of mobility

I guess i'll try grinex next. I love the hero, but i have no idea of what items to choose. I'm not an amazing ganker and i play solo queue, so i can't really rely on my team. That way i feel more comfortable if i have a farming tool. I don't feel the way guides tell me to play this hero would work for me.

Haven't seen anyone doing it, but i actually think Lex Talionis could work on this hero as a starting item. It's cheap, gives some armor and magic armor for survivability, health regeneration to help him farm and -armor for ganks.
    Not sure how thunderclaw would work on him.

Would appreciate if someone has some thoughts on this, or better alternatives for what i'm looking for.
    Last edited by Barghest`; 03-19-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I'd be happy to help, but none of the heroes you mentioned are heroes I play on a regular basis, so I can't really tell you anything outside of the obvious stuff, which you already know.

Now, if you were to ask about blitz...

SBT members are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I LOVE WARBEAST!

I disagree with picking up a Shaman's Headdress if the enemy has a lot of magic output. Yes if you wanna go Barrier Idol quickly after, but it shouldn't be a "I'll keep it as is" item. Warbeast is also usually one of the last heroes you want picking up Barrier Idol as well especially if you're forced into a situation where he's solo pushing and away from the team.

Puzzle Box does have the weakness of going on cooldown, but don't forget the minions summoned do benefit from Warbeast's buffs to controlled units. This makes them incredibly strong in fights and will often output tons more damage than they appear to (Especially on squishy supports that have to spend a skill or two to deal with a max speed PB minion). It's not a pickup for every game, but don't avoid it just because of the cooldown and stats on it.

Even though Homecoming Stones are cheaper, the ability to teleport to allied creeps and summoned units is still a very, very powerful one. On Warbeast, you can summon one of your Hellhounds, have them sneak around the enemy and teleport to them. This is great for solo pushing, sneaking into Kongor, attacking from a surprise position in ganks/team fights.

Main tip I give to those learning Warbeast - Use the hell out of your wolves. Use them to scout runes (Can also destroy runes with them unless they changed that) and for enemy positioning. People do forget this in the late game, but the scouting you can do late with them is very useful! Finding a lone hero in the enemy jungle with them, using them to run up into the enemy base as your team pushes in, etc. Use them for controlling enemy lane creeps. Use them to block enemy hero movement in fights if they don't have a blink/leap. And of course, even though very obvious, make sure they're attacking when needed to deal DPS. Also not sure if they changed it, but I used to LOVE being able to sneak them up to enemy heroes with PK and put the PKs on CD right before a fight starts with the wolves.

----------

Emerald Warden. He's not the strongest ranged carry, as that role is dominated by heroes like Klanx, Silh, etc. He's definitely a hero that's more powerful in lower brackets rather than higher ones. If you have a player to support you, I suggest Nymphora. EW+Nymphora is a lane I used to do with new players all the time. During the laning phase, just spam wolves and Nymphora regenerates your mana. This will annoy the crap out of your enemy lane opponents and will almost always give you space to just farm the lane. Being able to spam wolves like that also keeps away enemy gankers as they'll be spotted. As the game goes along, EW rocks at picking off supports who hide in trees. Gawain giving that clearvision means you'll be able to spot them, hit them with a Q and pew pew them before the other team reacts. He's not Fayde, but he can get it done (Especially if you go Genjuro). Just be careful on positioning, as traps can help, but escaping bad situations as this hero is rough.

----------

As for the forums, they're definitely not as active as they used to be. I used to love the TG section, and it does make me sad that it's not as active as it used to be. I've moved onto other games, but it would be nice if FB did take better care of TG and some of the other sections. Even though HoN isn't as popular as other games, it's still got enough people to make the forums much more active than it is.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Kotf was reworked again in 4.0, and is really strong atm. The build I go for is - mana ring, phase boots, pk, resto. Depending on the lineup, bulwark or sheep can be slotted in between pk and resto. i believe I have 100% win rate on this hero currently, so I am confident this is the best build. Don't go the carry build, that is awful.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by LoserKing` View Post
    Kotf was reworked again in 4.0, and is really strong atm. The build I go for is - mana ring, phase boots, pk, resto. Depending on the lineup, bulwark or sheep can be slotted in between pk and resto. i believe I have 100% win rate on this hero currently, so I am confident this is the best build. Don't go the carry build, that is awful.
    Why would you go phaste boots if you go mana ring? why just not mana boots?

If you are buying phase you might as well consider buying chalice.

OT, Warbeast didnt change especially much, but you lack harkons blade vs potential void talismans, and I see no frostwolf which sometimes is better then shieldbreaker due to the hp it gives you.

Restoration stone is super viable as 5-7th item or maybe even 4th idk, since you are only useful in your ultiform.

Any utility items could be situational as always on any hero.

RCT members are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.

Account Icon
    @katieeee: That's some useful tips you've got there. I'm probably not ready for some of them, but i'll try them when i get more confident and experienced with wb. I end up losing a lot of farm and map awareness with that kind of micro.. it's pretty difficult for me to play at that level at this point.
    I do agree about post haste, what i was trying to say is that you won't get to that point most of the games and if you do.. well.. it's probably a pretty boring match..
    I also understand your point about shamans headdress, but what would you suggest against that kind of heavy magic lineup? Maybe try an earlier behemoth heart?

@BeggreT: Yes, harkons is always a good idea on those situations.. Luckily i didn't have to play harkons matches so far.. i really hate going harkons.
    I like to go shieldbreaker because it's easy to build, it gives -armor against buildings and has good dps. I love frostwolf concept and i tried using it on warbeast before, but i honestly didn't find a good item for him, because it's an attack modifier, it's expensive and you could always use behemoths heart instead. I know it doesn't have the slow, but by that time you would have bash and you wouldn't have to change between modifiers.
    I've seen some high plays with resto stone before i quit playing, i'll try to use that item on warbeast when i get the chance.

Also, like i said before, i'm not an amazing farmer, so i usually try to go the cheapest most efficient build. A better player has more room to try expensive builds. But i'll try to improve that aspect.

@LoserKing: Yeah, i really want to try that hero. When i left the hero was pretty bad.. i hated when his minions where removed. I'm really curious to try that hero after the rework. I like your build, but i kinda agree with Beggret about going mana boots instead. I was also thinking about going puzzlebox on him.

@Alelor: Don't really like the hero /:

I have however became interested to try bloodhunter too after this new rework. Maybe his new Q makes him more viable in dual lane?
    I like heroes that can get their own kills without relying much on the team and without taking the responsibility of going mid.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    As someone who can farm up a Shrunken Head and utilize it, Warbeast will generally rely on the magic immunity granted by that item over having magic armor. The hero is at his scariest when he pops that ultimate and Shrunken Head together. But without either one, engaging a team that's magic heavy usually isn't the best idea. If you get caught out with Shrunken on CD, you're probably best off with ult'ing and fleeing. If you're still struggling, as suggested above, Resto Orb is a pickup to consider. This can bring your ultimate back online along with Shrunken Head to deal with magic damage-heavy enemies for more time.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by BeggreT View Post
    Why would you go phaste boots if you go mana ring? why just not mana boots?

If you are buying phase you might as well consider buying chalice.
    i will start with mana boots and then split into phase boots. Reason for phase is:
    a) can't get trapped by minions (sounds dumb, but can surround yourself quite easily)
    b) close distance on ultied target
    c) skirt the tower dmg leash distance with less risk (the leash is very short).

I've done mana boots heaps as well, and would say that part of the build is simply personal preference. It just feels better for me.

Would you have enough mana for double ulti with chalice? (Assuming you've been using w whenever off cd)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by LoserKing` View Post
    i will start with mana boots and then split into phase boots. Reason for phase is:
    a) can't get trapped by minions (sounds dumb, but can surround yourself quite easily)
    b) close distance on ultied target
    c) skirt the tower dmg leash distance with less risk (the leash is very short).

I've done mana boots heaps as well, and would say that part of the build is simply personal preference. It just feels better for me.

Would you have enough mana for double ulti with chalice? (Assuming you've been using w whenever off cd)
    a) Sure thats a good idea, but you have to be really smart with how you use the ghost marchers then. You actually want to utilize your minions to block people, and you usually need your own hero as well. So having unit walking might bite you in the ass. But it goes both ways.

b) That shouldnt be to much of a problem unless you ulti with a tree dog. But lets say you do it max range, fine, but you shouldnt be the main damage dealer in your ultimate.

c) xD, you really like the speed boost, just buy an energizer and splitpush with your trees, would suit your play style. Great item as well if you understand it.

I usually buy steamboots, plated greaves or striders depending on the game. And yes, with all these boots you can spam your Q and W when ever off cooldown. Assuming you use your chalice 2 times. But I guess plated greaves are probably the best boots you can get together with post haste. But steamboots are just so great with INT mode early game.

Yes you do have the mana becasue of chalice and regen from refresher. At level 16. (highest mana cost ulti). Beyond that it will just become easier.

RCT members are not Frostburn Studios employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Frostburn Studios or any of its staff.