Announcement of the Contest: June 28th
Expanding Sol's Theatre
will be announced to the community. START THINKING OF IDEAS!
Beginner's Guide to Map Making: July 25th*Date Changed to August 1st
A video will be released giving community members an introduction to the map making process. This video will also be supplemented with other resources that will help beginners and, for that matter, all map makers in their process of creating their maps.
Expanding Sol's Theatre Web Page: July 25th*Date Changed to August 1st
Along with the Beginner's Guide to Map making, there will be a web page created that will be the primary location where the contest will be hosted. The web page will contain further details on to what is required at every step of the contest and will also be the place where participants can enter the contest.
Part 1 Begins: August 1st
For the first portion of the contest, participants will be required to create detailed map design documents that will convey their idea in a manner that is complete and fully flushed out. We will administer a template that will need to be filled out entirely when submitting an entry. More information on this section will be coming soon (most likely on July 25th
) but to give you an idea of what will be required, here is a basic list of expected information:
- Name of Map
- Size of Map
- Number of Players in Map
- Description of Map
- 200 Word "Short" Description
- 1000 Word "Medium" Description
- No Limit "Full" Description
- Description of Winning Conditions
- Story board of game mode from start to finish
- Full description of the majority of units used in the game
- Expected amount of effort in hour of production time (Use your best knowledge when making this assumption)
- Reason why this game should be chosen above the competition
Part 1 Submissions due: August 27th
We will stop accepting submissions at 11:59 pm EDT on August 27th. Once this time hits, the HoN team will choose the top 8 submissions based off of the following criteria:
- Fun potential of map
- Feasibility vs. Complexity
- How long will the production of this map take?
- Number of new units?
- Size of map?
- New textures?
- Required Coding?
- Map Proposal
- How thorough is the proposal?
- How much effort is put into the proposal?
- Is the proposal complete?
- Overall Appeal
Part 1 Winners Announced: September 5th
Once the top 8 submissions have been chosen, they will be announced on September 5th. Each submission that is chosen will receive a $250 prize
and will be announced on the Expanding Sol's Theatre
website for the rest of the community to view.
Part 2 Begins: September 5th
For the second portion of the process, the top 8 submissions are expected to deliver the following assets by October 17th
- A working version of the map
- A video explaining what the map is, how it functions and how to play it.
We understand that not all 8 of the finalist will have the skills to do both of these to the ability that they may want to have them done. Due to this, during this phase the 8 finalists will become the team leaders of their respective maps and will be allowed to recruit help to accomplish the goals that we have set out. Here are some notes that should be known:
- The team leader will be responsible for organizing the team and accomplishing both of the tasks above
- Those who volunteer to be on the team will work on the map under the guidance of the team leader (unless control is given from the team leader to another member)
- If your team wins, the team leader will receive the prize in its entirety and will be responsible for distributing the appropriate amount of prize to his/her team members.
- If the two assets are not provided at the submission date, the team will be disqualified.
More information about this phase will be released at the end of Part 1.
Part 2 Submissions Due: October 17th
The videos, delivered on Oct. 17th
, must follow a certain set of requirements that will be laid out on Sept. 15th
The map submission must also be delivered on Oct. 17th
. The map is not required to be polished but it must convey the full idea of what the game mode will be and it must be in working condition.
Part 2 Community Voting Open: October 24th
We will compile the submitted videos and create 1 full submission video with all of the maps. The Expanding Sol's Theatre
website will be changed to display the compilation video and the 8 separate submitted videos. Once the website is up and the videos are released, there will be a voting option built into the website where community members can vote for their favorite map. In addition to the community voting for maps, three different departments of the HoN team will collectively vote on the maps.
The votes will be counted like this:
Part 2 Winners Announced: November 7th
- Community Votes
- 3 for the most voted map
- 2 for the second most voted map
- 1 for the third most voted map
- HoN Team Department Votes
- 2 for their top voted map
- 1 for their secound favorite map
After the voting is done, we will tally up the number of points that each map as received (with 9 being the most points possible). The map with the most votes will be the winner and the team leader will receive $4000
. The second place map will receive $2500
and the third place map will receive $1500
. Remember that this money will go to the team leader and it is his/her responsibility to divide it up as he/she sees fit (or was previously agreed on).
Part 3 Begins: November 7th
With the winner decided, the HoN team will then undertake the task of trasforming the initial map into a map that will enter Heroes of Newerth. This process will include getting rid of bugs, testing the map, refining the code, creating maps/textures, creating effects and everything else that goes into making a map polished and grand.
Part 3 Progress Bar gets implemented: November 7th
When all of this is happening, the Expanding Sol's Theatre
website will have a progress bar implemented so that the community can continuously view the progress of the map. Since all maps are different and the winning map could require 1 month of work or 3 months of work, there is no set deadline for the map to be implemented but we will keep you guys in the loop and will make sure that we continue to move the progress bar.