Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Rift Wars Beta Information + FAQ

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Rift Wars Beta Information + FAQ

Contents
    Picking Heroes and How Abilities Work
    Map and Win Condition
    Points System
    Other Rule Changes/Hero Ability Tweaks
    Why a Beta?
    Frequently Asked Questions

Rift Wars was an idea we had a while ago that we have, over the last few months, turned into a great mode for all players. I encourage you to go and try it, but now it's time to get into some of the detailed mechanics of what is going on here.

Welcome to the Rift...

Picking Heroes and How Abilities Work

Rift Wars uses a new picking phase called "Shuffle Pick". This is the process:

1. Every player picks a hero to play during the game. If a player does not choose a hero, that player will get a random hero. Randoming the hero you play DOES give you bonus gold.
    2. When every player has a hero, each player then chooses two additional heroes. The abilities of these heroes will be added to the global ability pool. All heroes are available for the global ability pool, and each hero can only be selected once for each game.
    3. When the game begins, every player is given four random abilities from all of the heroes in the global ability pool.
    4. When a player dies, that player is given four random abilities from all of the heroes in the global ability pool.

A total of 30 heroes are used in a game of Rift Wars.

Example: I pick Puppet Master during the normal "Picking Phase", meaning I will play as Puppet Master in the match. Then the game changes into the "Shuffle Picking Phase" and I pick Electrician and Prisoner 945. These two heroes have locks that appear over their faces so I know they are Shuffle Picked.

All of the abilities from all of the heroes picked are put into a big pool, so in total there are:

90 Base Abilities
    30 Ultimate Abilities

Once you get ingame you will notice that you do not have the abilities of the hero you picked. Instead, at the start of the game and every time you die thereafter you get four new abilities. Your first three abilities (Q,W,E) are randomized out of the pool of 90 Base Abilities. Your ultimate (R) is randomed out of the pool of 30 Ultimate Abilities.

All Abilities have had a slight tooltip change. In the upper right corner of every Ability tooltip you will see what Hero this Ability came from. This is to make it not only easier for new players but for experienced players who don't know all of the Ability names. This works for spectators as well, since casting or spectating this mode is quite crazy sometimes.

There is a way to change what abilities you have once you are ingame. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen (bottom left if you moved your minimap) you will see a new button. This is the Amulet of Rebirth!

The Amulet of Rebirth is a new function we added that allows you to "reroll" your abilities if you are unhappy with them. Using the Amulet will instantly re-random all 4 of your abilities, but costs a very minor amount of Goblin Coins to do so. The Goblin Coins the Amulet consumes are the Goblin Coins purchased in the HoN Store, not the ingame gold you get from killing creeps.

You can use the Amulet as many times as you want (Costs Goblin Coins every time), but you have to be in your team's Well to do it. No changing abilities in the middle of a lane, sorry.

Every three games you play of Rift Wars will credit you one free use of the Amulet of Rebirth. This is displayed as a charge on the icon in the bottom right corner. You can have at most two free uses of the Amulet.

Map and Win Condition

Rift Wars is played on the new Rift Wars map. This, as many of you will notice, is Grimm's Crossing re-textured and with changed effects. We also unlocked the map so it is now a full 5v5 brawl instead of 3v3.

We opted to use this map because it brings the best experience for the players. We tested on Caldavar, Grimm's, Mid Wars, and even older maps like Watchtower and Darkwood Vale. Grimm's was the best experience by far, as it brings a lot of action to the game while still being spread out enough for pushing or solo action.

This new map named "Rift Wars" will appear in the Matchmaking screen where Grimm's Crossing used to be.

There are two ways to win a game of Rift Wars. The first is the Normal way to win, you kill the enemy team's Tree of Life or Sacrificial Shrine. Easy.

The other way to win is through the new Points system! Reduce the enemy team's points to 0 and finish them off to win the game. Now to explain this new system...

Points System

Each team has 5000 points at the start of the game, which is the health of the Tree of Life or Sacrificial Shrine in a Rift Wars match. The number of points your team has and the health of your Main Building are linked, so if your team loses 100 points your Main Building loses 100 health. When their base gets to 0 Health (team at 0 points left), a few things happen. Firstly, they can no longer respawn. Second, the Well loses it's ability to attack. Third, all of the Towers lose their Armor.

At this point if you kill all 5 of the enemy team's Heroes and none of them can respawn, the game will immediately end.

When BOTH teams have their point totals reduced to 0 at the same time is when people start to sweat. This means that the game turns into a true Deathmatch, where if you die you are out. The last man standing wins.

This is a list of the "value" in points that doing something has on the game. Doing any of these things will take the listed number of points away from the enemy team. Remember you want to get them to 0 points to win.

On the Rift Wars Map:
    Killing an Enemy Hero: 100
    Destroying a Level 1 (Outer) Tower: 200
    Destroying a Level 2 (Second) Tower: 300
    Destroying a Level 4 (Shrine) Tower: 500
    Destroying a Ranged or Melee Barracks: 200
    Destroying the Meatball: 700

On Caldavar/Mid Wars Maps:
    Destroying a Level 3 (Base) Tower: 400
    Your Team Killing Kongor: 500
    Destroying any "Filler" building in the bases: 100

Example: You push a lane and destroy the Outer tower, dealing 200 damage to their Main Building and lowering their available points by 200.
    Example: You get a triple kill. You just dealt 300 damage to their Main Building and lowered their available points by 300.
    Example: Your team kills Kongor. He gets really mad and deals 500 damage to their Main Building, lowering their available points by 500.
    Example: You destroy the Meatball. The enemy team's base loses a whopping 700 health, lowering their available points by 700. We wanted to really emphasize how important the Meatball is to us.

All players can always see the points each team has left at the top middle of the screen.

On the Rift Wars map the Outer, Base, and Shrine Towers are levels 1,2, and 4 respectively. The Meatball is behind the Hellbourne Well (Good Luck!), there are no filler buildings or Kongor.

Why do Kongor and the filler buildings have an entry in the points table, then? You can play Rift Wars on Caldavar and Mid Wars in Custom Games, so if you do that you now know the point values of these objectives.

Other Rule Changes/Hero Ability Tweaks

In Rift Wars, the following rules have been changed:

You do NOT lose Gold on death
    The respawn time has also been lowered to 1 second per level
    You cannot buyback

We also added a new experience-based comeback mechanic. As the game goes on you can see which team is ahead or behind based on how many points either team has left. The team with a lower amount of points (thus who is currently losing) get bonus experience. For every 100 health difference between the point values, each player on that team gets 3 experience every 10 seconds.

Example: Your team has 2100 Points, the enemy team has 3300. Every 10 seconds your whole team gets 36 experience.

To make this mode work for every hero in the game, clearly some changes had to be made to some of the abilities. We made a lot of the buffs and debuffs in the game stack with each other. This is so if you have two of the same Aura or two Electrician's Shields for example, you can use both abilities at the same time. We made sure that cooldowns that are normally shared are unlinked for Rift Wars.

We also went through all Auras & Charge-based Abilities to completely rescript them. Auras no longer are 'usable' toggle abilities in Rift Wars, instead are passive and stack if you have several of them. They don't work on illusions at all.

Illusions get a new set of random abilities when created. As do Mimics (Circe).

Split abilities such as Maliken or Nomad's Abilities are no longer tied together in the Rift. Instead, you can random one or the other.

Example: You could get Mirage Strike and later in the game get True Strike. You also get only one of the three Soulstealer Hand abilities at a time, not all 3 at once.

Abilities that directly affect other abilities have been un-linked in Rift Wars. This goes for all Heroes that have abilities that change others, including Flux or Master of Arms.

Example: Flux's Abilities are usually changed by his Polarity. If you happen to random his Polarity Swap and his Magnetic Surge at the same time, the Polarity Swap will not change the effects of the Magnetic Surge.

I am sure you can think about some abilities that just DO NOT work in this mode. Pure passives that only affect the other abilities on the hero, for example. We had to disable abilities like these in this mode. The following abilities are NOT added to the random pool and you will not be able to get them at all in a game of Rift Wars.

Aluna's Emerald Red
    Artillery's Special Ammunition
    Blacksmith's Chaotic Flames
    Drunken Master's Drink
    Kinesis's Telekenetic Control
    Midas' Transmute
    Revenant's Manifestation
    Scout's Electric Eye
    Silhouette's Tree Grapple
    Tremble's Terrorform Teleport
    Wild Soul's Natural Attunement

Why a Beta?

This is an incredibly complicated system and one that we could work on for months and not see the end of it. We would rather not hold it back; we want to get it out to you guys as quick as possible. We recognize that there will probably be plenty of bugs and you can only imagine how many we have already fixed. If you notice an ability not working correctly or not doing what you think it should, post on the forums. I will put a link below to a bug post and just reply with what you think is wrong. We will go through it and continue to improve the mode as time goes on. You guys will have a lot more eyes on this than we ever could have through our internal testing.

We will have a list up of all of the known bugs in the thread below.

Rift Wars Bugs:
    Riftwars Bug Compilation Thread
    Last edited by Idejder; 11-05-2013 at 11:31 AM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Rift Wars Information + FAQ

FAQ

Will alt avatars be disabled for this mode?
    Nope, all Alt Avatars are available and encouraged! When you pick an Alt Avatar with changed spell effects, those carry over into the game! Any player who randoms the abilities from *your* current hero will have spell effects from your Avatar.

Example: If you pick Deconstructor Tempest and an enemy player gets Elemental Void, the effects of the spell he uses will be the "Black Hole" Deconstructor effects.

But will the matchmaking be stat-enabled?
    We are treating this just as we do Mid Wars, where only leaves/disconnects/games played are recorded.

Does it cost anything to play Rift Wars?
    No. Playing Rift Wars in Matchmaking is completely free, just as Mid Wars is.

Can Melee Heroes only get Melee abilities?
    Nope, any Hero can get any ability. The only limits are the Abilities we removed from the pool, listed above.

How long have you been developing this mode?
    For over 6 months by now. It was originally concepted by [S2]Kros, which is why you have heard people call it "krosmode" before. It has been a lot of work and we have a lot more to go!

Isn't Prisoner's One Man Riot combined with Scout's Vanish hilariously overpowered?
    Yes... Yes it is...

Quote Originally Posted by OtherPlayers View Post
    How are the levels of abilities handled? In other words if I have 4 skill points in my first ability and die/re-random do I still have 4 points in my new first ability?
    When you die all of your skill points are refunded. We didn't want to do an auto-level right away because it takes away a significant choice from the players. You get new abilities immediately when you die so you can spend the few seconds you are dead looking at them and planning your levelup path. If this is something that is highly requested we can look into this.

Will there be/how much will be the silver coin rewards for this mode? Will it be the same as midwars?
    Rewards should be the same as Mid Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by ZzZavarKin View Post
    Will there be neutrals on the Rift Wars map?
    Absolutely.

Will staff of the master work on the appropriate ultimates?
    Yes. If you get a Staff of the Master and then randomly get an ability that can be Boosted by it, you will have the Boosted version.

Quote Originally Posted by Morfin View Post
    if you play a melee hero and gets FA Split arrows how will the game treat that?
    You get Splitfire on your attacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Techies View Post
    The two additional heroes you pick for the pool, can you pick their alt avatars too?
    No, you only pick their abilities and cannot select Alts for them (at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKekz View Post
    Will there be a confirmation after you click the Amulett, but before you spent Goblin Coins? I'd hate to loose some because of a simple missclick.
    We agree. There is a confirmation box before you spend any Coins. You can check a box to make the confirmation box not appear again.

Quote Originally Posted by sexconker View Post
    Does randoming the shuffle picks give you bonus gold as well?
    No, just your main hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkmeat View Post
    Can the same ability be present at the same time in multiple heroes? And if yes, can the same ability be present twice in the same hero?
    Yes and yes. The same hero can have up to 3 of the same ability.

Quote Originally Posted by iwtcird View Post
    So your base damage, main stat and stat gains are ALL taken from your base hero right?
    Yep
    Last edited by Idejder; 11-05-2013 at 02:53 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    If you have any questions please ask away and we will add the good questions to the FAQ!

Not a big fan of the goblin coins influencing a game idea here.

Question!
    How are the levels of abilities handled? In other words if I have 4 skill points in my first ability and die/re-random do I still have 4 points in my new first ability? I'm asking because I remember in random abilities/deathmatch in Dota (which was very similar to this) one of the most annoying things was needing to spend 10 seconds every time you died to rebuy all of your new abilities, especially later in the game when you could be spending more time buying abilities then you were spending dead.

Another question:
    Will there be/how much will be the silver coin rewards for this mode? Will it be the same as midwars?
    Last edited by OtherPlayers; 11-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Any rewards for winning/losing a game?

Will there be neutrals on the Rift Wars map?

And yeah, some sort of quick leveling of abilities would be nice

Oh another question!
    Because that would be sweet.

Quick lvling please.
    Under Construction

Account Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Morfin View Post
    Pseudo-splash damage? :P

That said one thing that might be done with the leveling is allow the player to level up their skills while dead. That would pretty much remove the time needed to level up all your skills after you revive while still giving the player the ability to control what abilities they have.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The two additional heroes you pick for the pool, can you pick their alt avatars too?
    Nightmarish
    Custom Zombie Survival Map for HoN

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...9#post15049429

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Oh another question!
    Because that would be sweet.

Yeah! For example if you get Pyromancer's ultimate and you gave SoTM it will be boosted!
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) but at what cost?!

When in doubt! pick scout!

Good to see Grimms back! Will Grimms still be playable in its original 3vs3 form for custom games? Is the map size still the same, cuz if so then that's just epic? Are you guys going to be listening to suggestions for the mode from the players or only bugs?

Support my Emerald Warden SotM buff here
    Get Bloodpact Riptide into the game here

Will there be a confirmation after you click the Amulett, but before you spent Goblin Coins? I'd hate to loose some because of a simple missclick.
    I must admit, when I saw the message subject I thought, "Uh-oh, what did I screw up?" - [S2]Woodshed (in response to my latest p.m.)

Does randoming the shuffle picks give you bonus gold as well?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I have a few questions
    (I haven't yet played riftwars, played krosmode through the ability swap console command)

1. If I happen to accidentally missclick the amulet, would it immediately deduct the gold coins or require a confirmation?.

2. Is there any way to turn off the amulet in the options menu so you don't happen to missclick incase there isn't any confirmation box?.

3. Sometimes (or always as from my recent experiences in the console exploit way of starting a kros mode game) people pick heroes who have multiple passives or let's say, abilities which have a miniscule impact to the ruthless fast paced playstyle of midwars games at any given time, for e.g FA splitshot, Defiler's power in death, Accursed Sear, so is there going to be an option in the future to turn off passives in rift wars? this is why kros mode has been very frustrating for me, I random 3 passive-like abilities and then I've had no option to commit suicide even though I've been on a kill streak. Due to that I can't play more then 3 games in kros mode. I can already see myself staying away from Rift Wars if this is something that isn't worked upon, sadly. Midwars on the other hand, could play for days without being bored.

As for the amulet feature, I don't really support the idea of purchasing goblin coins and spending them to refresh your abilities, from what I recall it contradicts S2's policy where we were promised that purchases from the HoN store would have absolutely no impact on the game and they're only cosmetics, those aren't obviously the exact words but something along those lines. So I need some clarification regarding this, I understand it's no stats but stats are irrelevant here.
    Last edited by pz; 11-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2poz882.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by An Intelligent man View Post
    You can't find quality troll thread these days, nowadays its just terrible "wannabe" trolls trying to post random crap with horrendous use of English and lack of knowledge on the subject being posted just to act cool, when in reality they're just looking stupid and ignorant.

Can the same ability be present at the same time in multiple heroes? And if yes, can the same ability be present twice in the same hero?

can i be kros

So your base damage, main stat and stat gains are ALL taken from your base hero right? Melee/range and the animation obviously..