Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Improving char/item choices

I feel like I build chars wrong sometimes. Just wondering on some insight, like when to build armor or hp. Or when to buy certain items. Or a counter char picking guide. 

Item picks are highly dependent on opposing item and hero picks. Personally I usually favour armour over HP as it scales a lot better (armour gives damage reduction, hp gives straight hp)

If for example a team is mostly magic damage and i have already got shrunken/headress/barrier then straight hp/str is a better choice than physical armour, however sometimes the best way of mitigating/preventing damage is preventing the opponent from outputting it, in which case crowd control items are extremely effective and often under estimated.

A good way to work on your item choices is to look at what people who are successful against you have picked up and thinking about why they chose those items.

If all else fails you can just choose to pick carry every game and pick hyper carry items, won't make you popular but will take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation.

• Like 1

Generally speaking

Items. Try to go for items that give more than one thing. Items like geomancers and frostwolf give you all stats and an extra ability. Stats are very good because you get dmg, armor, reg, atkspeed, mana and hp. Hex used to be +10 all stats (iirc) but since it's already gives a great debuff the extra agi and str made it too good. Dawnbringer is not very good though because it gives a little of everything which means your gold is better spent on a more focused item.

Armor and hp. What to go for depends on what hero you are playing and your opponents heros. Armor is very good vs physical carrys while high hp protects you from all types of damage. Try to guess what type of damage will be the biggest problem and buy defensive items accordingly. 

Counter picking. All heros have something they are best at but some are more focused on their thing and suffer more if countered. Abilities can counter heros but items can prevent the counter but then another item can counter that and so on. It comes down to who has to invest the most gold and lost opportunities. For example a carry should be forced to buy shrunken head, sh doesn't give alot of dmg or stats lategame and takes up an item slot, just to protect themselves so they can be useful. A complete list of counters would be too long. Hellflower, hex and bola are good offensive counters, shrunken head, nullstone and geomancers are good defensive. 

I know I have missed a million things, this is just something to start with.

• Like 1

Damage as survivability is one a concept I'd like to bring up. When you are outputting a lot of pain in your zone of control, it doubles as survivability. Enemies tend avoid dying, and may position themselves in a way where they try to avoid your damage. Either that or they die faster, boosting your survivability by removing them from the fight.

Armor is underrated.  When in doubt buy armor.

Items like Grave Locket, Ring of Teacher (and it's forms), and Plated Greaves are efficient to build and go a long way towards survival.  Additionally, the extremely efficient Energizer can give you an edge on positioning and escaping while providing a huge benefit to your team in the process.

Too many people, in my opinion, go for "big" items early.  I prefer to fill up my inventory (less a slot or two) with low and mid tier items that are extremely efficient in terms of effects-to-cost ratio.  This gives you an important early game advantage that can snowball your way to the high tier items to round off your slots.

• Like 1

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Items depend on your roIe and on enemy heroes. a few ground ruIes are:

If you pIay shortIane carry aIways upgrade boots then farming item then damage or shrunken (you onIy want to buy shrunken if it is 100% necessary, eIse you wanna go damage/IifesteaI). AIso note that firebrand is core on 90% of aII carries.

Boots: If enemies have high phys dmg hero, e.g. Panda, DW, Iegio you buy armorboots.

HP vs armor: The onIy time you want to buy fIat hp (heIm etc) over armor is, if enemies have a magic dmg nuke hero that does a certain amount of dmg, e.g. PebbIes, pyro etc. you want to have more hp than he can burst with his combo.

Some speciaI mentions: If u fight many iIIusions buy arcane bomb. if u fight martyr or monarch buy scepter/nuIIfire to dispeII it.

Those are just some ideas how you wanna think whiIe deciding what item to buy.

regards

• Like 1