Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
asheelarry24

How to fix leavers/quitters in Mid Wars?

This has been a bane on the existence of mid wars.  But it goes through phases of being really bad.  And lately I've noticed A LOT of people quitting mid wars or just afking in the fountain.  Or just feeding constantly.  Players don't even get leaves a lot of times because teams will just push the minute it turns into a 4v5 and then the game is over.  

Is this a fixable problem?  Some ideas for how to fix it...

1.  Stricter bans on egregious feeding/afking in tower.

2.  Quicker kick vote in MId Wars (less than 5 mins).

3.  Disconnect timer when games end with you not in game. 

Any other ideas or suggestion on how to address this problem?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the feeding part is handled well, they get the punishment.

But with leavers, I totally agree that it is a huge problem!

If the game ends before their disconnect timer runs out, they don't get punished and it does not go in the stats as I remember (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about it). That allows people to just feel when they don't like it.......

Also when game is remaked then they get away with it too...

edit// I forgot to propose a solution lol

I believe if they can make those situations punishable somehow, it'd be super nice.

I thought of proposing to decrease the dc timer but then it's unfair with people who really have a connection issue, or needs to restart etc.

Edited by sjolnick

41 minutes ago, sjolnick said:

I think the feeding part is handled well, they get the punishment.

But with leavers, I totally agree that it is a huge problem!

If the game ends before their disconnect timer runs out, they don't get punished and it does not go in the stats as I remember (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about it). That allows people to just feel when they don't like it.......

Also when game is remaked then they get away with it too...

edit// I forgot to propose a solution lol

I believe if they can make those situations punishable somehow, it'd be super nice.

I thought of proposing to decrease the dc timer but then it's unfair with people who really have a connection issue, or needs to restart etc.

Feeding is one of those things that's incredibly hard to get a ban for though.  Someone constantly "initiating" when in reality they're just trying to make the game go by faster rarely gets banned.  Unless the person is literally running into the tower over and over again, they almost never get banned.

I think a disconnected player should be kickable after 1 minute.

The afk kick timer should be 1 minute.

Kicked players should have the leave recorded even if the game is remade.

Kicked players should get a 10 minute matchmaking ban.

The above 4 things will prevent 73% of the leaver problems in MW.

• Like 2

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

12 hours ago, MacroHard said:

That's not even enough to reconnect if your game crashed (if you have a HDD and use a sub-account) - let alone if you get a bsod.

But I guess thanks to this:

There's no reason to hurry if your pc crashed. Just make some coffee or sth while your PC boots back up again 🤔

I think a disconnected player should be kickable after 1 minute.

Kicked players should have the leave recorded even if the game is remade.

The above 4 things will prevent 73% of the leaver problems in MW.

1 min might be too low, just give the benefit of a doubt in case their PC is slow and have difficulty in reconnecting.  Maybe 2 minutes is fairer.

Agree  AFK kick timer should be 2 minutes. 

You can reconnect in 20s (Ctrl-F8 "reconnect").  If internet is glitching briefly, mine takes about a minute to come back.  If my PC crashes, it takes about 4 minutes (Win 7 ftl).  But team can still vote to pause.

Leaving should be auto, insta-kick.

But it doesn't fix much.

Having something like ELO for # of Leaves would work a lot better than dividing total Leaves by total games.

Back when HoN had load of developers, it would have been great to be able to draft in replacement players, but that can't happen now.

Posted (edited)

I've looked at this thread and have implemented variations of what can be implemented for the next patch.

Some of them will apply to all maps too because the current timers for certain mechanics are a little too long. People shouldn't be AFKing, etc. in regular games even.

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 4