Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Sorais

Make certain abilities/items not able to target creeps

There're several single-target skills in the game that have no conceivable reason to use on creeps, yet can target them nonetheless, e.g. Sheepstick, Witch Slayer ultimate. I suggest making them hero-only. Almost nothing is lost, and there's a lot more to the game than "click accurately on enemy target".

19 hours ago, Sorais said:

There're several single-target skills in the game that have no conceivable reason to use on creeps, yet can target them nonetheless, e.g. Sheepstick, Witch Slayer ultimate. I suggest making them hero-only. Almost nothing is lost, and there's a lot more to the game than "click accurately on enemy target".

I have mixed feeling about this suggestion because sometimes a mere creep could kill a hero.

Wanna waste the time reading wall of text? Head the link below:

23 minutes ago, MerryHONmas said:

*cough* ophelia *cough* parasite *cough* whispering helm *cough*

This.

Would be better if this suggestion proposes controlled-player targeting rather than hero targeting. Still, mega creep is still something to be considered.

Wanna waste the time reading wall of text? Head the link below:

You could easily make it a toggle if it's a massive issue but I don't think it is. Having it as player-controlled creeps or heroes is a perfectly valid targeting system and I can support this idea.

I've definitely Greedguttered my share of creeps by accident with Goldenveil.

• Like 1

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

Posted (edited)

But what if the creep is hitting your shrine with low hp and the only way to stop it in time is to use ulti?

Nah but seriously, if we do this, also make Succ/pyro/panda ulti unable to hit creep.

Edited by TehNubZar

Posted (edited)

If this is implemented, you will 100% get comments about "getting good" and "game is becoming more casual". I also think it's largely unnecessary due to fringe cases & believe in the design philosophy that allowing players as much flexibility as possible is ideal.

To be frank though, mouse accuracy is something that I don't believe we should handhold players for. You make the mistake, you should learn from it 🙂

Edited by ElementUser

On 6/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, ElementUser said:

If this is implemented, you will 100% get comments about "getting good" and "game is becoming more casual".

git gud and do smart cast. Seriously, the game is becoming more casual. lmao!

On 6/24/2020 at 11:33 AM, ElementUser said:

If this is implemented, you will 100% get comments about "getting good" and "game is becoming more casual". I also think it's largely unnecessary due to fringe cases & believe in the design philosophy that allowing players as much flexibility as possible is ideal.

To be frank though, mouse accuracy is something that I don't believe we should handhold players for. You make the mistake, you should learn from it 🙂

How about we remove hotkeys then. Everyone should be able to click on their skills / items and still click on their targets. /kappa

Didn't you already make changes that elicited these comments? Plus, there's nothing to learn from this mistake. "Don't use your ultimate on creeps". Yeah, I think everyone including beginners knew that already.

Oph / Parasite / etc, if they come up (I doubt it's happened to me before, except for a botched attempt to Succubus ult a Parasite creep), can be dealt with by changing it to player-controlled units. 

Posted (edited)

I may consider doing it for enemy player controlled units if you give me a list of abilities to work with. 

I'm not particularly interested in this change, so you're going to have to do the heavy lifting for this one (or someone else) if you want to see change.

Edited by ElementUser

Here's a list then, there might be more:

Artillery ultimate (this description also says "enemy hero" when it can target enemy non-heroes)
Nitro
Scout
Witch Slayer
Pyromancer (non-SotM only)
Panda
Rampage
Blood Hunter (non-SotM only)
Arachna (non-SotM only)
Flint (non-SotM only)
Gauntlet

Sheepstick
Codex
Hellflower

A minor point but I would say that Gauntlet might want to target creeps to maximize the amount of people put into Stasis.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Hubaris said:

A minor point but I would say that Gauntlet might want to target creeps to maximize the amount of people put into Stasis.

bing bing bong bong

Spells with AOE effects should automatically be exempted from the list for this reason.

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Non-SotM only clauses make me want to not implement this even more, tbh.

The other abilities will be at my discretion & I'll think about it.

Edited by ElementUser

What next? You will ask for autocast on heroes with those items/skills? You get punished for bad plays, that's just it.
One thing i would suggest to change is Magmus ulti. It can't be canceled even if it has 2 seconds of cast time.

can't even recount the amount of times i casted my ult on a puzzlebox creep was witchslayer or pyro, to protect my carry from being vaporized...

I am absolutely against any such kind of implementation to be honest because there will always be niche moments where it would make sense. ontop of that why not just make the entire game outplay itself and we just get to watch and bid on the bots?!