Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
DesoZaKiddo

All Star Changes, Witch Slayer and Pyromancer

Both skills, Silver Bullet and Blazing Strike, deals massive damage to a single target unit. But, the difference is that one hero is a support role the other is a mage-hybrid. One skill is redundant to the other. Why not change it to something that fits their actual role? If I am not mistaken, this related topic to has been brought up to attention many times ages ago.

Silver Bullet

Magic Damage/Superior Magic Damage/Pure

Deals 450/600/750 damage to a single target unit

stuns the target for 0.1 seconds.

Staff of the Master Effect

SIlver Bullet*

Deals 600/750/900 damage to a single target unit

Cannot be blocked or deflect (e.g Nullstone, Edge Counter, Arcane Shield, etc.)

Blazing Strike

Deals 500/750/1000 magic damage to a single target unit

and if Fervor is leveled, doubles the duration of the buff.

Staff of the Master Effect

Blazing Strike*

Deals 750/1000/1250 magic damage to a single target unit

and if Fervor is leveled, doubles the stacks of the buff.

Witch Slayer skills cost large amount mana, ignore power drain, for a support role so why not buff the hero's last skill instead for the better? Then, the miniscule amount of stun, in which is suggest that should be also added, is to interrupt channeling spells. On the other hand, Pyromancer, in order to build stacks of fervor you must use the hero's skills efficiently. But, during team skirmish, most of the time you do not do that. You burst combi instead because, likely, in the eyes of ganker heroes pyromancer is a walking gold. By buffing the Blazing strike, which gives more stacks of the passive,  Pyromancer is now more lethal that before in terms of kitting.

Posted (edited)

I like your effort to differentiate similar ability between two heroes, I hope you could also suggest the change of other heroes' similar ability such as:

•  Magebane and Wretched Hag flash.
  • Witch Slayer and Pollywog Priest hex.

I'll update if I find the others.

Update:

• Pyromancer and Torturer stun.
  • Pyromancer and Defiler wave damage (Wretched Hag could be included).
Edited by datfizh

Wanna waste the time reading wall of text? Head the link below:

I appreciate the idea of trying to differentiate them but they are two very different heroes with different purposes. The Witch Slayer Upgrade could be interesting and I think it's a neat design space for dealing damage that just cannot be stopped.

I don't really like the Fervor/Blazing Strike one as its counter-intuitive. You want to double the stacks so that means you want to use it after a lot of autoattacks or spells, which means they're probably already at low(er) health, which ultimately wastes Blazing Strike.

There's also the idea that the kits of the heroes and the tools they have are more than the sum of their parts. Just because Magebane and Hag have a blink doesn't mean they are used the same way, one is used more to position for her close range AoE and her Cone-shaped blast, and the other is used to be slippery and escape (now that it no longer has the Magic Armor buff).

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

On 6/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, datfizh said:

I like your effort to differentiate similar ability between two heroes, I hope you could also suggest the change of other heroes' similar ability such as:

•  Magebane and Wretched Hag flash.
  • Witch Slayer and Pollywog Priest hex.

I'll update if I find the others.

Actually, I want to write, from stats down to FoC map, a lengthy suggestion. But I have to conisder the attention span of readers. [e.g Void talisman(Anti Physical) and Arcane Nullfier(Anti Magic) *practice mode only*]

On 6/24/2020 at 4:43 AM, Hubaris said:

I don't really like the Fervor/Blazing Strike one as its counter-intuitive. You want to double the stacks so that means you want to use it after a lot of autoattacks or spells, which means they're probably already at low(er) health, which ultimately wastes Blazing Strike.

It is your opinion, I respect that. I suggest to double the stacks, as mentioned, because this will increase the pyro's chance to survive, especially in late game hard pvp skirmish. Killing the opponent in one combo is good and all, but what if it fails to do so?