Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Hubaris

Hero Draft - The Wickerman

Posted (edited)

Alright, another Hero Draft for the fun of it. This time I bring you the Wickerman, an eclectic mix of abilities that can shift easily into a carry role or provide your team with game changing ways to initiate. A fairly squishy and frail hero, the Wickerman shines in keeping your allies alive with it's Harvest ability, while simultaneously punishing enemies. Smart use of its Crow Form will allow a clever Wickerman to avoid the brunt of dangerous fights by quickly repositioning; granting unparalleled mobility when paired with his Circle of the Ancestors.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

The Wickerman (v1.2)

Story, Flavour

Spoiler

Long ago there was a small island off the coast of Newerth where the harvest was celebrated and the fields were always plentiful. These idyllic days were watched over by the protector of the island, a powerful entity simply known as the Wickerman. Stories came and gone about the island, tales of dark sacrifices and black magic from the pits themselves, but the truth had always been more complicated than what appeared. Despite the myths, the creature itself finally left the island once the Hellbourne invasion started... It's side undetermined and its myth not quite realized yet.

Basic

Melee Agility Hero

Strength 18 (+2) Agility 25 (+2.4) Intelligence 22 (+1.8)

Movespeed 285 / Armor 5.0 /  Magic Armor 5

Q - Harvest

Spoiler

Radius: 400 around self (for healing and damage)

Mana Cost: 100 / 110 / 120 / 130

Cooldown: 15 / 14 / 13 / 12 seconds

Swinging a harvest scythe, The Wickerman rips enemies apart and provides a bounty for his allies. The scythe deals 50 / 100 / 150 / 200% of The Wickerman's attack damage as magic damage in an area around itself. Allied heroes nearby are healed an amount equal to the damage dealt divided evenly among each other.

Damage to creeps only results in healing an extra 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 per creep damaged instead of the normal amount.

This ability can be boosted by Staff of the Master

Whenever Wickerman deals ability based magic damage to an enemy hero, reduce the cooldown of Harvest by 0.5 seconds.

"You are what you eat."

W - Crow Form

Spoiler

Range: 300

Mana Cost: 50

Charge Cooldown: 15

Maximum Charges: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

The Wickerman quickly bursts into a swarm of crows and moves forward 400 units gaining everythingwalking, 100% slow resistance and maximum move speed before reverting backWhile The Wickerman is a swarm of crows it is physical immune and deals 100% of its attack damage as magic damage to every enemy on the path.

"A different kind of murder."

E – Burning Effigy

Spoiler

Range: 400

Mana Cost: 100 / 110 / 120 / 130

Cooldown: 16 seconds

The Wickerman traps an enemy inside a straw prison that begins to incinerate. The target is stunned for up to 3 seconds.

While they are Stunned by Burning Effigy, they are effectively removed from the map (and are invulnerable) but instantly take 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 Magic Damage. The damage increases over time to eventually do 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 additional Magic Damage over the whole duration, ticking each second.

Enemies can free their ally by attacking the effigy, removing half a second of remaining duration for each attack against the effigy.

"How did it get burned?!"

R – Circle of the Ancestors

Spoiler

Mana Cost: 200 / 300 / 400

Cooldown: 140 / 120 / 100 seconds

Maximum Range: 2000 / 2500 / 3000

The Wickerman creates a circle of stones at it's location and gains a magic glow for 6 seconds or until The Wickerman reaches its maximum distance or until it is activated again. Upon the glow ending, a second circle of stones appears at The Wickerman's current location, linking the two sets of stone circles. Enemies and allies can teleport from one circle of stones to the other freely. Once the circles are both placed, the circles last for a total of 6 seconds before vanishing.

Once both circles are linked, enemies who are within 400 radius of the circle of stones take 150 / 300 / 450 magic damage and allies are healed for the same amount.

"Travel far, spread the word, spread the sword."

Changelog:

Spoiler

v1.2 -> Crow Form damage scaled to 100% at all levels.

v1.1 -> Added Staff effect to Harvest, changed the damage over time on Circle to be an instant burst of healing and damage.

v1.0 -> Created

Edited by Hubaris

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

I guess this hero has a high base damage at level 1 because of his first and second abilities scale with his damage. Though, I'd like to propose a flat number besides only percentage to those numbers so they have slight impact at the start of the game rather than only better at the late game.

For the rest of suggestion, let me put this reply (I apologize to the poster for not asking the permission first) 

Wanna waste the time reading wall of text? Head the link below:

Numbers are always tricky to balance but with the combination of the mobility on W and the stun of E giving him a super early game presence isn't the idea. Giving heroes obvious weaknesses that are offset by niche abilities is one of the most fun ways to balance something.

Besides, its not like with R and E he is unable to contribute to fights even early on.

Being careful with spells like W is important as it is a mobility, cleave, and useful tool all in one. It probably scales a little too funny though as it gains exponential power with the amount of charges plus the damage so I may have it deal a flat amount early on. Q scales just like Apex's Decimate Q so it's not that far-fetched. I'll definitely rethink the scaling on W though.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?