Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
idan223

Here to talk about the new Shadowblade change

I haven't played a lot of SB I think, but I played some, before patch and after. 

My latest instinct when playing him now is to avoid using gargantuan, because it doesn't allow me to chase, and doesn't allow me to run away.

The only instances where I know I can use it is either when I chain the 2 damage abilities to secure a kill, or that I can immediately change to soul's sight as to avoid the debuffs.

Honestly, if possible, and I can understand the need for the nerf (he could reach ridiculous amounts of hp early game if itemized for that), can you also add a button to disable gargantuan's form early? Since I won't be getting the buffs of the form, I feel this is a legit way to mitigate the double anti carry nerf he receives from using it, without making the form obsolete when needed.

Posted (edited)

Although the nerfs are slightly heavyhanded, they were necessary to prevent the cheese that is quite obviously Gargantuan Form early game for offensive purposes. Changes will come in the next patch to make this better, but Gargantuan Form isn't meant for offense & the intention is for it to stay that way.

Having 2000 HP prior to level 11 (or even at level 11) with minimal items is just way too good, particularly with even more defensive bonuses from that form.

Edited by ElementUser

On 6/17/2020 at 12:15 AM, ElementUser said:

Although the nerfs are slightly heavyhanded, they were necessary to prevent the cheese that is quite obviously Gargantuan Form early game for offensive purposes. Changes will come in the next patch to make this better, but Gargantuan Form isn't meant for offense & the intention is for it to stay that way.

Having 2000 HP prior to level 11 (or even at level 11) with minimal items is just way too good, particularly with even more defensive bonuses from that form.

Were these changes actually based on numbers and statistics because he was crushing every bracket and really needed it or was it because you and/or the SBT team felt this way?

I'm asking because shadowblade is now sitting comfortably on the very last place of overall win % with a total of 38%. This is actually a significant three percent lower than the next hero (Qi). I can't see the history of his win/loss ratio, but I assume you can, so where was he pre-patch?

Posted (edited)

High-bracket games.

It's the same phenomenon with multiple heroes (see: old Nitro, Qi, Adrenaline, Ichor, etc.), and this all stems from problematic design issues. We can't solve them all at once as it actually takes time to theorycraft & get a good suggestion conceptually agreed upon before further resources are used to actually make it a reality.

Nitro is a good example of the problem being (mostly) solved - the hero is fun, albeit underpowered at the moment. However, the hero's frustration problems are practically all resolved & there is a healthy amount of counterplay to her. Just some mechanical changes to the E and some more number tweaks will make her a healthy balanced hero for the game - that's the ultimate goal for all the heroes, and some heroes just can't fit the bill (they are either numerically balanced for all brackets but cause frustration, or are balanced for a particualr bracket but causes imbalance & frustration for other brackets).

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 2

I believe the change was required for the issues stated above by EU, I believe though the speed penalty in gargantuan form is too much and needs to be adjusted/removed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Shadowblade will be adjusted accordingly next patch, it's just that he needed the changes for high bracket play pretty urgently so a little bit of an overkill nerf had to be put in place.

His design issues still need work in the long term, but at least he'll be more bearable in the early game after the adjustments while not losing much later on.

Edited by ElementUser

What's the point of giving heroes abilities which are debuffs, making then slower, more vulnerable? If firing skill do not counter debuff? Shadowblade lost his potential. He is now underpowered too much. I hope You will adjust him in next patch.