Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Grimoire of Power - Searing trigger

Is: "Autoattacks apply Searing to target for 3 seconds."

Proposed: "All damage sources apply Searing to target for 3 seconds.  Searing and Spell Sunder cannot trigger each other."

Grimoire, by nature of magic lifesteal and cooldown reduction, is targeted towards high spell damage semi-carries.  Unfortunately, these heroes rely on their abilities and do not benefit much from Grimoire's searing effect.

Currently, the Searing effect is simultaneously the most iconic and least important aspect of Grimoire.  Having Searing trigger off all damage instances, whether magical physical or dot, will allow spellcasters to benefit from the core aspect of the item as part of his or her natural playstyle.

Grimoire is indeed powerful in its current state, but not quite efficient enough to be seriously considered compared to other options such as Spellshards, Spell Sunder, and Nomes.  It is on the brink of playability.  Expanding the vectors its core effect is applied may be the push it needs to make players seriously pause and consider it as a viable choice.

Edited by MacroHard
spell sunder infinite loop
  • Like 1

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Note: Just how Ravenor gets reduced lifesteal, Soul Reaper's aura and Mock of Brilliance can be specifically exempted due to balance concerns.

I like the idea, I'd include mock in the triggers though. For consistency, anything that triggers spellsunder should trigger searing as well.

Searing and spellsunder cannot trigger eachother to avoid endless loops.

34 minutes ago, Syllab said:

I like the idea, I'd include mock in the triggers though. For consistency, anything that triggers spellsunder should trigger searing as well.

Searing and spellsunder cannot trigger eachother to avoid endless loops.

Good call.

Soul Reaper is health removal. It doesn't actually deal magic damage.

I like the change. I don't think the item itself really needs much else honestly.

• Like 1

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

32 minutes ago, Hubaris said:

Soul Reaper is health removal. It doesn't actually deal magic damage.

I like the change. I don't think the item itself really needs much else honestly.

It was just a hypothetical.  My point is that specific problematic synergies could be excluded if necessary.  Even if it was all non-DoT damage it would still be a step in the right direction.

40 minutes ago, MacroHard said:

It was just a hypothetical.  My point is that specific problematic synergies could be excluded if necessary.  Even if it was all non-DoT damage it would still be a step in the right direction.

I would probably put it on non-DoT damage as we don't have a lot of support for targeted instance damage.

Thumbs up from me.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?