Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Pulses of Newerth - Spellshards Change

Pulses of Newerth - Spellshards Change  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What map do you mainly play on? How do you feel about the Spellshards change so far?

• FoC Player / Positive to the Change
    • MW Player / Positive to the Change
    • FoC Player / Negative to the Change
    • MW Player / Negative to the Change
    • FoC Player / Neutral
    • MW Player / Neutral

It seems that the Spellshards change is a hotly debated topic and I was very curious about the opinions of you Newerthians. 

For those who don't know me, I love numbers and I wanted to see the numbers and actually understand why certain people felt a certain way.

Check off one of the poll answers above, I'm interested to see what happens.

I don't want to put my opinion here and sour the poll but I'm sure you can find it if you look.

Edited by Hubaris
  • Like 1

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

I value you a lot Hubaris, but i dont think that a poll can give any source of information regarding balance aspect. Balanced is best solved with arguments , counter arguments and numbers.

edit: *I wrote a long post but saved it  for another day. 

Edited by doctornik

But it can give a quick idea of the general thoughts of players.

I'm more interested in what the average GD user feels.

Call it vanity.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

Armour penetration has been reduced from 65% to 60% and cost increased ~1225g.  Stats have gone down and but mana regen is significantly up.

Spellshards has now been turned into a mid to late game item.  I read on another thread that the damage reduction is applied after Vest, Shamans et al, which would mean those latter items do almost nothing to counter it.  They are effective counters to Harkons though.  Made me feel like I've been playing HoN wrong all this time.

Edited by NubbyMcNub
1 hour ago, NubbyMcNub said:

Armour penetration has been reduced from 65% to 60% and cost increased ~1225g.  Stats have gone down and but mana regen is significantly up.

Spellshards has now been turned into a mid to late game item.  I read on another thread that the damage reduction is applied after Vest, Shamans et al, which would mean those latter items do almost nothing to counter it.  They are effective counters to Harkons though.  Made me feel like I've been playing HoN wrong all this time.

Penetration effects happen after any Minus effects.

This is why I shake my head when people get Shards on Revenant and Blacksmith when they should be getting Mad Mage and Harkon's instead.

• Like 1

Could argue you should probaly not build damage on thoes heroes anyway. It is funny this has such a big debate thees days. Back in the day spellshard was considered a trash item, even when it was more powerfull. Tablet, stormspirit, hellflower, kuldra. All of thoes items are better pickups. Personally i dont like every hero has to be able to carry somehow, so yes i like the change. I want to see less heroes going for a carry build.

Edited by Anubis2108
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

Alright, so taking a look at the numbers I have to admit I was kind of shocked.

I was definitely expecting a larger trend toward Midwars players being very negative about it, I didn't actually think most FoC players would be negative about it (I'm actually shocked this many people responded)!

Not like this has anything to do with anything, but I have to say thanks for the poll and I hope that regardless of what happens you enjoy the 10 year anniversary of HoN!

Edited by Hubaris

Its a small sample size, but I still stand by my initial assessment that the old Spellshards were too strong. Are the new ones too weak? It's hard to say in only 2 weeks but we will see over time.

Balancing for the general populace generally isn't the best but I think its worth taking note of.

Just now, Hubaris said:

Its a small sample size, but I still stand by my initial assessment that the old Spellshards were too strong. Are the new ones too weak? It's hard to say in only 2 weeks but we will see over time.

Balancing for the general populace generally isn't the best but I think its worth taking note of.

It is, but I think the general consensus would be the same. An in game poll would be awesome. Im not sure why they don't use them on significant changes.

10 hours ago, Sky said:

Im not sure why they don't use them on significant changes.

Generally changes are always downvoted. People are getting used to things and they don't like them to change. Of course you get exceptions: A couple of people that try to judge objectively (minority) and those that like to abuse buffs or like to no longer get owned by an item which got nerfed. But only few of the votes are actually useful and it's impossible to decide which of the votes are which.

For that reason there was SBT in the past - which had hand-selected people (mostly) which could argue about their opinions and were (mostly) skilled enough to know what they were speaking of. However eventually that died of because there weren't enough people willing to do that which lead to opening it to everyone and very soon to the complete collapse of SBT.