Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Jeraziah and the frustration his E causes in low to mid tier mmr games.

Hello guys.

I want to talk about jeraziah, more specifically his E and the confusion it causes regarding his role. It is quite annoying regarding the recent trend with jeraziah being used as a mid hero or carry hero. Which in my oppinion he is not really well suited for anyway. The frustration he causes for any team that has him is something i think a lot of people can relate to, (I think so ). 

I am talking about jeraziah choosing to last hit with a shroud and heal himself rather than being the supportive hero he should be. Now, i dont care about the kills myself, but i have lost countless games due to people rageing over the negativity that brings to a game. Letting all 4 of your team mates die rather than choosing to shield or heal that very important ally. We are allready strugling with motivation in the game with no pro scene being active at the moment. In my humblest oppinion i do not think Hon needs something like this hero to further be a nuisance. I get it, some of you love the way he is currently played, but i am talking about the health of the games. If you think about it? how many positive games do you have with him as a team mate?

I do not have a sugestion for a replacement for his E. But would rather just open a debate about him.

Thank you in advance.

How about a simple slow-aura as his E like it used to be?

I kinda agree that Jera should be a support hero, however his current design rather favors him as a carry, and afaik that's intentional.
I don't personally like to play Jera, neither as carry nor support nor anything else, but he feels like a support since he has 3 supportive skills (even when he can use those to save himself).

The main issue is that melee supports just won't work simply due to the fact that they can't harass people. The only role he can be properly played is offlane with some ranged semi carry and even then there are much better choices to actually properly contest the lane to harm the enemies carry.. In lower brackets there are loads of heroes played in not suitable positions. You see a short lane without an actual carry etc. So you could basically complain about almost every hero there.

I do agree that his E doesn't really fit his kit. However, not for the reasons that people play him short carry or mid but for his hero design..

There is nothing wrong with jeraziah you guys just need to get good. and the people who fail with him as a semi carry i can only say the same to them. Get good 

• Confused 2
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, nutsy said:

There is nothing wrong with jeraziah you guys just need to get good. and the people who fail with him as a semi carry i can only say the same to them. Get good 

It has nothing to do with being good with the hero. It has something to do with the frustration he brings to a team. 

I would prefer some heroes excel at team play rather than every hero has to have some gimmick that makes them able to carry. That to me, is not what hon is about.

Edited by anubis2108

People thinking K:D is an indicator of skill is probably one of the reasons people build him like a carry.

But I ain't saying nothin'.

• Haha 2

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

If someone wants to play selfishly and grief that someone will grief with any hero. It's nice for Jereziah to be able to do things other than being a heal bot while being melee.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rezziedahl said:

If someone wants to play selfishly and grief that someone will grief with any hero. It's nice for Jereziah to be able to do things other than being a heal bot while being melee.

In the case of jeraziah, i am not talking about griefing or anything like that. Unless you consider building shroud and playing for kills is griefing? I would just prevent that even being a possibility on that hero. Honestly, why excactly did they ever add a carry passive skill to that hero? No, i just think it is very bad play. Why even confuse players with a skill thats absolutely useless for the purpose of the pick? Can anyone here honestly say they pick the hero to use E? please?

Edited by anubis2108

Well I know that WZA wanted to transform Jera into a "core" hero, even tho I would also like to see him in more of a support role, but the current kit kinda promotes the carry/mid Jera due to his E I guess... and atm Jera should be played as such imo. Players in lower games not using spells on allies is for some other debate.

• Like 1

I agree with that turning his E to only slow will make him useless as he can't do much in laning phase in terms of harrasing etc.

Wouldn't it be nice that E skill would throw his sword to an enemy, the sword stays on enemy for some time, causing DoT bleed on enemy and (maybe tapering) slow aura around him ? it can be a low-mid damage skill with low-mid mana cost which can be used for harrassing and would not be too powerful

To be fair i would be happy with anything on his E, just dont make it scale with items. That is all i am asking. Make it do 900 damage, i dont really care. Just stop that item scaling please.

I agree with you, his role aint clear, it has nothing to do with wether you can rape or not with him, hes more certainly a suport but then hes E also makes him some sort of weak yet viable semi carry. The problem is as you mention that suports need to be able to harras and that is hard to do with a melee, plus his E doesnt provide any help for the carry you would be suporting.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, hegelsohn said:

The main issue is that melee supports just won't work simply due to the fact that they can't harass people.

Accursed would like a word or two with you :'D

I do agree that the recent Jeraziah semi carry trend is hard bs.

But that is my personal oppinion and EU made pretty clear about a year ago or so, that that hero is not supposed to be a support anymore but more of a carryish something (forgot his actual words but it was absolutely clear the hero was supposed to be leaning more toward a carry playstyle than anything else, with the rest of his kit being a beneficial factor).

I rarely see the hero so I don't really care too much but I honestly much rather seem him reworked in it's entirety as the hero the way he initially was designed simply does not fit the majority of the pool anymore.
He comes from a time where matches were played differently, evolved slower and had entirely different laneups and while alot of heroes saw adjustment to that, he was adjusted the wrong direction. That is my oppinion at least.

I don't know why EU decided to push him into the carry niche (to be honest I think we have enough of those carryish heroes) but I really got sad when I played him a few months ago and noticed myself how much the hero now actually promotes an aggressive selfish playstyle. I could barely resist trying to play him as a semi carry even tho I was playing with 4 friends and we were coordinating very well.

I would like to suggest a complete rework of the heroes core concept with only his ultimate remaining (close to) as is, as it is somewhat unique and serves as very particular counter to certain laneups, while being dispellable, thus not too broken (altho his staff is a tiny bit underwhelming if I am being honest).

[Q] Holy Blessing

Target an ally hero or self to heal them for 100/180/260/340 health. Deals 50% of the healing as Magicdamage around the target.

15/14/13/12 seconds cooldown

[W] Divine Protection

Target an ally hero to apply Divine Protection onto them. Grants the target a shield for 80/140/200/260 HP that absorbs half of the damage taken for 6/7/8/9 seconds or until it's life is depleted. The shield reduces all CC (stun, slow, immobilize, etc) by 50% of their duration, however does not stack with other sources of CC reduction. The shields HP linger over the remaining duration after 4 seconds.

The Shield's HP value can not be transferred nor dispelled, however it's buff may be purged (cc reduction).

18/17/16/15 seconds cooldown

[E] Presence of the Ascended

Passively applies a tapering 3 second 25% Movementspeedslow and 12% Attackspeedslow to opponents that are within 250 units radius of your initial spell target.

Staff of the Master (addition to pre-existing): now applies half of those values passively around Jeraziah as a purgeable, non-transfereable buff, with 8 seconds cooldown (does not stack with its applied effect, the higher value will dominate).

All propositions were made with the fact in mind, that no new animations will be required and in it's core, the abilities remain similar. However my goal was to decentivize the current selfish playstyle that more often than not harms the own teams morale and instead promote a more support oriented playstyle. The hero in it's core remains unchanged regarding the idea of every ability, however I tried to turn them into a more team friendly version.
It's just an idea at the end of the day and I did spend a good amount of time on trying to figure out something that works with current ressource limitations.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, merryhonmas said:

Accursed would like a word or two with you :'D

Accursed isn't working either at least not as main support. He has better offensive tools than jera in the offlane tho to harm the enemies carries farm.

Edited by hegelsohn
2 hours ago, Froschbein said:

OnIy Iane jera works is mid, so he isn't supposed to be a fuII support. More Iike a teamsupporting semi-farmed hero something.

pair him with a ra and watch everything burn ?