Jump to content

Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Recommended Posts

Hi

I used to play HoN on GeforceNow cuz I own a Mac and you don't make it for mac anymore. But today the game was removed from GeforceNow!

Please reconsider if you asked for it to be removed, for me and all the mac/linux users who love your game!! Otherwise please contact Nvidia and make them fix this error!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea!! Doe's it work? The HoN team should show this downloadable clients on the main website aswell!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't work unfortunately, It's not able to play a 32-bit game on Mac OS anymore. I hope they will either update this or at LEAST get it working with GeforceNow again, cuz that worked really well!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes i play it to on geforce now and  i don't know what to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hilge said:

yes i play it to on geforce now and  i don't know what to do

How about buying a non-Mac PC. I never got why Mac Users are crying about their system not getting supported. Macs are obviously not being meant for playing games and tons of games don't support them. So when you want to play Onlinegames, simply buy a Windows PC? HoN runs on literally everything. I play it on a shitty old PC with shitty 4 GB Ram and completely outdated hardware and it runs perfect. You can get those PCs for like 20 bucks, so i don't see the problem here, why the HoN Team should invest more time and ressources for Mac Users.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cobaye said:

How about buying a non-Mac PC. I never got why Mac Users are crying about their system not getting supported. Macs are obviously not being meant for playing games and tons of games don't support them. So when you want to play Onlinegames, simply buy a Windows PC? HoN runs on literally everything. I play it on a shitty old PC with shitty 4 GB Ram and completely outdated hardware and it runs perfect. You can get those PCs for like 20 bucks, so i don't see the problem here, why the HoN Team should invest more time and ressources for Mac Users.

Hi

I get the points you are making, though there are several factors at play here for me, the main ones being that I simply only want to own one computer. It feels really silly to buy an outdated PC so I can play one game.

I'm guessing you meant 200-bucks, since 20 buck computers barely can play snake 😉 

I'm not asking the HoN team to invest time in developing anything, simply to let their game be played on an upcoming big streaming platform, which both mac/linux users and PC who want to run on max graphics their "shitty laptop". So I think it's a simply solution and actually a great investment for S2 Games, since they get free commercial and attract more players!

So I hope they will realize this or at least come back with an answer regarding GeforceNow in this thread! 🙂

Take care!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered trying bootcamp on your mac instead?

Im playing HoN on a mac too, but ive installed bootcamp(Win10) and run it like that 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HungryShrimp said:

Have you considered trying bootcamp on your mac instead?

Im playing HoN on a mac too, but ive installed bootcamp(Win10) and run it like that 🙂

Yeah I have thought about it, though I don't have any space for it on my hard drive hehe. Seems to work fine for people who use bootcamp tho!

I just really wan't to be able to use GeforceNow again, it worked so well and I even started paying for it cuz I thought that HoN among other games would be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have any Network Storage, you could mount it from there as a Virtual-Harddrive. (Its called VHD files). Just PM if you have any questions. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of things have to be said here I guess.
While I'm also sad that FB stopped supporting Linux and Mac officially - it's actually Apples fault that the game doesn't run anymore. If you simply stop to support running 32 bit and drop OpenGl-support, software will stop running.

Linux is still running and it's still running better than the Windows-client (and it has a 64bit client which no other OS has).

If you don't want to run Windows completely (which I totally understand), there are other ways to run HoN:

  1. Wine - or some of its derivatives like Crossover. The windows version of HoN should run flawlessly with those. A little bit slower, but fine
  2. Linux on USB. You can easily install a linux-distribution on an usb-stick and you can easily put HoN onto it too. If you use my newly created AppImage, you could even put your entire settings onto your usb-stick (you'd need a little bit of google about how to put a home-directory for AppImages on an usb-stick though). All you need is a USB-stick with at least 8GB (better: 16GB) - preferably USB3
  3. Linux on dual-boot: Well kind of the same as Option 2 and the same as Bootcamp, but with less space-requirements (and you get 64bit hon)

About the streaming platform, I don't believe that FB/GG asked any streaming platform if they could put HoN onto it. They probably got asked if they would allow them to put it there and they agreed.
I also don't really see a reason why they would have changed their mind about it (maybe ip-bans didn't work with that or sth), probably too few people used it on those streaming platforms and the providers decided to drop HoN. You should probably try to convince GeforceNow to put HoN back into their platform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Manu311 said:

A couple of things have to be said here I guess.
While I'm also sad that FB stopped supporting Linux and Mac officially - it's actually Apples fault that the game doesn't run anymore. If you simply stop to support running 32 bit and drop OpenGl-support, software will stop running.

Linux is still running and it's still running better than the Windows-client (and it has a 64bit client which no other OS has).

If you don't want to run Windows completely (which I totally understand), there are other ways to run HoN:

  1. Wine - or some of its derivatives like Crossover. The windows version of HoN should run flawlessly with those. A little bit slower, but fine
  2. Linux on USB. You can easily install a linux-distribution on an usb-stick and you can easily put HoN onto it too. If you use my newly created AppImage, you could even put your entire settings onto your usb-stick (you'd need a little bit of google about how to put a home-directory for AppImages on an usb-stick though). All you need is a USB-stick with at least 8GB (better: 16GB) - preferably USB3
  3. Linux on dual-boot: Well kind of the same as Option 2 and the same as Bootcamp, but with less space-requirements (and you get 64bit hon)

About the streaming platform, I don't believe that FB/GG asked any streaming platform if they could put HoN onto it. They probably got asked if they would allow them to put it there and they agreed.
I also don't really see a reason why they would have changed their mind about it (maybe ip-bans didn't work with that or sth), probably too few people used it on those streaming platforms and the providers decided to drop HoN. You should probably try to convince GeforceNow to put HoN back into their platform.

Great advice!

Have you any links to how to install HoN on Wine? I've tried several times but never succeeded, maybe I did it wrong though. If wine doesn't work I'll try Linux on usb, sounds awesome!

Yeah I've been trying to reach GeforceNow aswell, but hey are not easy to get in touch with unfortunately... So my hopes are that the HoN team could have an easier time getting in touch with someone who listens over at the Geforce team hehe. But I'll keep trying to reach em myself aswell!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sonen3 said:

Have you any links to how to install HoN on Wine? I've tried several times but never succeeded, maybe I did it wrong though. If wine doesn't work I'll try Linux on usb, sounds awesome!

 

You can find basically every program or game on the database of Wine, including HoN: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10349 (apparently HoN is a RPG 😁)
A Platinum rating means it's running out of the box, without further fine-tuning.

It's been years since I've tried to run HoN via wine, but it was basically just "wine hon.exe" which made it work, so you shouldn't have problems there. I mean I have no experience on Mac, so it might be harder/different, but I think just starting should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Manu311 said:

I also don't really see a reason why they would have changed their mind about it (maybe ip-bans didn't work with that or sth), probably too few people used it on those streaming platforms and the providers decided to drop HoN. You should probably try to convince GeforceNow to put HoN back into their platform.

well, since HoN is not the only game "taken down" from geforce now, then I think there could be some bigger issues with it.

For example Blizzard banned geforce now from streaming any of their games, also Bethesda took down Skyrim, ...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day !

We are aware of the issues for MacOSX Catalina no longer supporting x86 and I wanted to share some information regarding this.

For those who don't know, we are testing 64-bit versions of the HoN Client with a small group of testers for Windows, which have enormous performance boosts and various other upgrades, and much more compatible with the latest OS, this is currently invite only and has been going on for a while but - and I need to make this clear, I make no promises, but MAY be able to in the near future release this publicly as an alternative way to play the game! 

I am also personally in my spare time working on a Catalina 64-bit port that will allow users on the latest MacOSX to play HoN once again, but not only that but with the same performance boosts and the original issues fixed that compelled us to with good reason, take the download links from public view, such as RAM issues and crashes.

I have no ETA on this, but know that its been worked on ;)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HyperXewl - Can you give us more information about 64-bit version and how could it be different ?:O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HyperXewl said:

G'day !

We are aware of the issues for MacOSX Catalina no longer supporting x86 and I wanted to share some information regarding this.

For those who don't know, we are testing 64-bit versions of the HoN Client with a small group of testers for Windows, which have enormous performance boosts and various other upgrades, and much more compatible with the latest OS, this is currently invite only and has been going on for a while but - and I need to make this clear, I make no promises, but MAY be able to in the near future release this publicly as an alternative way to play the game! 

I am also personally in my spare time working on a Catalina 64-bit port that will allow users on the latest MacOSX to play HoN once again, but not only that but with the same performance boosts and the original issues fixed that compelled us to with good reason, take the download links from public view, such as RAM issues and crashes.

I have no ETA on this, but know that its been worked on 😉

Thank you for your answer! Really happy to hear that both a 64-bit version and a 64-bit catalina version is being worked on, that's really awesome!! 🙂

Do you know anything about GeforceNow aswell, why it's HoN support has been dropped? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, HyperXewl said:

G'day !

We are aware of the issues for MacOSX Catalina no longer supporting x86 and I wanted to share some information regarding this.

For those who don't know, we are testing 64-bit versions of the HoN Client with a small group of testers for Windows, which have enormous performance boosts and various other upgrades, and much more compatible with the latest OS, this is currently invite only and has been going on for a while but - and I need to make this clear, I make no promises, but MAY be able to in the near future release this publicly as an alternative way to play the game! 

I am also personally in my spare time working on a Catalina 64-bit port that will allow users on the latest MacOSX to play HoN once again, but not only that but with the same performance boosts and the original issues fixed that compelled us to with good reason, take the download links from public view, such as RAM issues and crashes.

I have no ETA on this, but know that its been worked on 😉

OMG yes, please for the love of god make this happen. I've been playing hon since 2009 and right now I had to pay parallels a shitload of money so I can barely play at 50fps on minimum settings. Please please please make this happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...