Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Hubaris

Hero Draft - Norn, the Threefold One

Posted (edited)

In honour of the new forums, I decided to throw up a new Hero Draft thread because it is so much fun for me to make hero designs and I urge others to try it out! It is a great creative outlet and helps you deepen your understanding of mechanics and game knowledge / balance. I understand this is simply vanity at this point, but aren't all dreams? So take a read and have some fun and feel free to leave me some feedback!

Norn is an Intelligence hero that requires fast adaptation, and can seamlessly shift from doing damage, to buffing allies, to shredding enemies all while supporting your team. Norn however is unable to protect herself, making positioning extremely relevant and gives her a dependence on items to maximize her survivability.

Norn, the Threefold One (v1.0)

Story, Flavour

Spoiler

magdh.png

The fates were always a part of Newerth, weaving it slowly through the ages, but once the Hellbourne army approached the future became uncertain... And threatened to cease to be. The tapestry itself created a champion, an avatar to help right the course of this uncertain history that would threaten to destroy all futures. Norn rose as that chosen hero and has joined the Legion forces to right the wrongs of the Hellbourne, by weaving fortune for her allies, and misfortune for her enemies.

Basic

Ranged Intelligence Hero

Range: 600

Strength 18 (+1.6) Agility 16 (+1.5) Intelligence 25 (+3)

Movespeed 300 / Armor 3.0 /  Magic Armor 5

Q - Weave Fate

Spoiler

Target: Ally or Enemy hero other than Self

Range: 600

Mana Cost: 90

Charge Cooldown: 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 Seconds

Tugging at the strands of fate, Norn is able to affect allies and enemies alike by changing the course of their future. Similar to Soulstealer, Weave the Future has 3 sub-abilities on Q, W and E. The ability has 3 charges and using Q, W or E will remove a charge from the ability as charges are shared.

Q – Weave of the Maiden

• Target an ally hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Strength and +2 / 4 / 6 / 8 armor for 3 seconds. This buff stacks with itself.
  • Target an enemy hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Strength and -2 / 4 / 6 / 8 armor penalty for 3 seconds. This debuff stacks with itself.

W – Weave of the Mother

• Target an ally hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Agility and +10 / 20 / 30 / 40 Move Speed and Attack Damage for 3 seconds. This buff stacks with itself.
  • Target an enemy hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Agility and -10 / 20 / 30 / 40 Move Speed and Attack Damage penalty for 3 seconds. This debuff stacks with itself.

E – Weave of the Crone

• Target an ally hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Intelligence and +3 / 6 / 9 / 12% cooldown reduction and Spell damage on their non-ultimate abilities for 3 seconds. This buff stacks with itself.
  • Target an enemy hero to provide them with 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 Intelligence and -3 / 6 / 9 / 12% cooldown reduction and Spell damage penalty on their non-ultimate abilities for 3 seconds. This debuff stacks with itself.

Weave stacks are removed one at a time and there is a maximum of 3 stacks for any type of Weave.

Each Stack has a duration of 3 seconds.

W - Ethereal Shears

Spoiler

Passive

Whenever Norn targets an ally with a spell or ability she heals the ally for 60 / 120 / 180 / 240 damage and half as much to other allies within 250 radius.

Whenever Norn targets an enemy with a spell or ability she deals 60 / 120 / 180 / 240 magic damage and half as much to other enemies within 250 radius.

E – Spell Turning

Spoiler

Passive

Aura Radius: 600

Cooldown: 14 / 12 / 10 / 8  seconds

When off of cooldown other allies gain +4 / 8 / 12 / 16 Magic Armor, stacking with all others,  however once Norn takes an instance of non-DoT magic damage it is then is put on cooldown, Silencing the caster for 0.75 / 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 seconds and dealing 75 / 150 / 225 / 300 magic damage to them.

R – Thrice-Born Tapestry

Spoiler

Radius Around Self: 600 / 750 / 900

Tether Range: 600 / 750 / 900

Mana Cost: 250 / 350 / 450

Cooldown: 120 / 100 / 80 seconds

Norn binds allies and enemy alike to her magical strands, allowing the whims of battle to flow. Norn targets each other hero in range and attaches a Strand (state) which lasts for a total of 9 seconds or until they move out of the tether range. Enemies can see their own connection to Norn.

Allies in the tether range have buffs applied to them last 33% longer and debuffs last 33% less time.

Enemies in the tether range have debuffs applied to them last 33% longer and buffs last 33% less time and are revealed by the Strands.

Using her signature ability, Weave Fate (Q), Norn is able to fill a variety of buffing and debuffing roles, at the cost of spreading her power out or by focusing entirely on one target. While her abilities on Q are flexible, she does not have any dedicated defensive abilities or hard disables outside of Spell Turning (E). That being said she has great power by using Ethereal Shears (W) to buff up her Weave Fate (Q), allowing her access to responsive and low cooldown healing magic as well as low cooldown damage. This allows her to respond quickly to changing situations on the battlefield as long as she has a sense of what to do. With her ultimate, Thrice-Born Tapestry (R) she is able to quickly apply her Ethereal Shears (W) to a group of enemies and allies for sudden burst damage and healing as well as extending how long her and other allies' abilities last; giving her significantly more mileage on her Weave Fate (Q). However due to the way her Ultimate functions, it is best used when there are multiple targets in range, that can keep in range, so she is best paired with other heroes that can do so such as Engineer or Keeper of the Forest. Despite all of this, she is unable to weave her own future and protect herself, so she needs to position well in the fights while balancing her buffing and debuffing power to increase the length of fights and maximize the power of Thrice-Born Tapestry (R).

Changelog:

Spoiler

v1.0 -> Created

Edited by Hubaris
  • Like 2

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

I like the overall concept . At a first glimpse i felt that the numbers need balancing though . And to be able to balance them properly you actually need a testing environment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MacroHard said:

How does Q work with Kinesis’s Q?

i guess as Soulstealer`s . You just steal Q 

You would just steal Q. Keep things as consistent as possible with other instances of Thoughtsteal.

And yeah numbers were really hard fiddle with, especially with how the kit interacts. Shows the importance of iterative testing!

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?