Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
MacroHard

Tier 3 Boots: Void Marchers

Void Marchers

Ghost Marchers:    1500
Void Talisman:    1500
Major Totem:    540
Total Cost    3540

Passive:
70 movement speed
24 damage
10 strength
10 agility
10 intelligence

Activation:
Mana Cost: 0
Cooldown: 12
Applies Phased and Void Talisman to self for 4 seconds.  Activate again to end Void Talisman early.

Phased:                            
20% Movement Speed.  Unitwalking.

Void Talisman:
-5 Magic Armor, Disarmed, Physical Immunity

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

why would i as carry want to be disarmed?
why would i as any hero using ghostmarchers be disarmed?
i dont understand the idea of these boots. people buy these boots if they require flat damage or flat bonus ms for a short duration to deal damage. these boots typically are not build to run away from someone else... tablet is much more beneficial for such situations.
feels a bit like you were trying to just find more t3 boot alternatives.

would you kindly add your thoughts and general ideas and stuff to all of those suggestions, to make these easier to understand as to where your motivations are coming from, please?

Void Talisman is in most cases something for supports or magic nukers. None of those should ever buy ghost marchers.

It could be valuable for carries I guess, but if these boots were the only one, it would just prevent them from ever having to decide for boots (since these are the best) - and if you put all of them in, dynamo boots are just way more useful.

I guess one could buy these if you're something like tdl, which doesn't benefit from attack speed much, and play against kane or dw. But that's kind of rare - especially since you have to have fast reactions to counter those.

1 hour ago, merryhonmas said:

would you kindly add your thoughts and general ideas and stuff to all of those suggestions, to make these easier to understand as to where your motivations are coming from, please?

I will be tomorrow when I have time.  There's a surprising amount of thought and nuance that went into these that may not be obvious at first read.

10 hours ago, merryhonmas said:

why would i as carry want to be disarmed?
why would i as any hero using ghostmarchers be disarmed?
i dont understand the idea of these boots. people buy these boots if they require flat damage or flat bonus ms for a short duration to deal damage. these boots typically are not build to run away from someone else... tablet is much more beneficial for such situations.
feels a bit like you were trying to just find more t3 boot alternatives.

Bro it can be double tapped to instantly remove void.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, RUS_AGENT007 said:

Bro it can be double tapped to instantly remove void.

This is key.  That, combined with the short cool down and unitwalking, gives opportunities to dodge specific physical attacks and reposition safely during a fight, then immediately start attacking again. The speed burst plus immunity is also a solid escape on its own if the skirmish is lost.

Edited by MacroHard
  • Thanks 1

@MacroHard 
Prioritising void talisman in your slots, means you are mostly dealing with heavy physical nukers like deadwood, rampage,rally . So we actually look for a way to get ourselfs safer from early mid game to late game. So being able to purchase these two items means we are either position 1,2,3 in the game.

-If im playing Position 2 Hero and i decide that void will be a must in my slots i will most definatley go striders, as i must somehow replenish my economy , so i can get faster my core items.(provided my hero is suitable with striders and position 2, ie Artesia, Pyromancer )Another point being is that i rarely built Ghost marchers on my position 2 . Mainly Steamboots.

-Position 3 hero often is a tank, so void is not an option,your tank needs to tank ^^

-So we end up with the most viable scenario in my eyes. My Position 1 hero getting his phase boots ,and void.Thus being a able to farm without the constant fear.

In this scenario we have 3 things we are doing:

a) most of the times you will pop void and TP out. 

b) You either know that the ganker is +1 with a magic damage stunner so u try to run back,juke them into safety, wait team etc 

c) Your TP is on cd (something a carry should always avoid), so ideally you are not so overextended, and you have a decent distance to cover from your tower

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- on the b) and c)  scenario we are going to mark a spot as X(aka safe spot) , whilst Y will be your current position.

Running from Y to X is 6 seconds. While you cover this distance ,if you pop void early the ganker will keep chasing you as he knows void will go off soon.What you need to do is actually outrun the ganker. Thats what phase boots are for,mobility. By having a nuker like rampage, drunken, deadwood, if you dont use phase boots they will catch up to you relatively fast, but at the same time you dont want to early use void. Void usage has to be perfectly sychronized as it is a 4second state.So in order to reach X you have to rush there, and by early pressing your boots it means you are wasting also your void.

Teamfights:(as you mentioned about the teamfight usage of the boots)

- Viable scenario would be early-kinda midish game. You are playing agi carry, you commit, and you want to avoid physical damage.You pop the item, evade, pop it again, start attacking. I can see this working there.

- Also as game moves on this item loses its power. Mid -Late game fights are way bigger,Heroes are stronger, more items come in place. So shrunken always overpowers void. And as an agi carry you have to face the physical attacks with item builts and positioning.( ie geometers, wingbow, lifesteal) , plus your teammates getting armor aura items, and survivability items for you (i.e storm,tablet) . So void talisman on agi carries is really situational, and a waste of an item on them imho, as game reaches the later stages.

So i dont know if i made my thoughts clear and understandable,
Generally i believe you need to have phase boots and void talisman at a seperate time frame activation. As with perfect timing you are getting the maximum survivability you can from both items. The pros of having Ghost marchers and Void into one item, are less than actually having it as a 2 seperate units.

* other specific situations of viability on certain heroes can exist, didnt think of any, and always my arguments are for serious games. 
*Also if i see my support with ghost marchers, void in a serious game, i would be really frustrated, 3k gold wasted to save his ass 😄

• Like 1

I like these but they might be too strong.  Void talisman can be particularly annoying even without being able to be disabled.  I don't think there's  a visual indicator either.

The other big downside of void talisman is that it takes up a slot.  Two of the other suggested boots don't correct that downside.  So I think it would need an expensive recipe.

A smaller factor is that it will make Nomes overshadow Abyssal even more.

I like the concept in general and tier 3 boots would play a big role in MidWars where we often get farmed beyond 6 slots, and where Ghost Marchers are viable for all heroes.

I don't think FB employs an artist any more so the community could be asked to provide that.