3 hours ago, Manu311 said:

In Linux you don't really have the option to use both at once, so applications don't have a choice which one they use.
The open source drivers for nvidia are called "nouveau", mesa is only used for general stuff which is necessary for every driver. If you have nouveau installed, replace it with nvidia-drivers - you can easily check with this command: "lsmod | grep nouveau" which should not print out anything if you're using proprietary drivers. You can only have either of those drivers loaded, proprietary drivers will not load if you have nouveau loaded.
I haven't tried to run HoN with open source drivers, I guess they should work as well but it might be a reason for low FPS (after all I'm actually running HoN on integrated graphics with playable FPS).

The only other reason I can think of is actually slow hardware.

Nouveau are installed but blacklisted for loading

pacman -Qs nouveau
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.16-2 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

cat /usr/lib/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf 
blacklist nouveau

Like i said i'm using nvidia-beta-dkms drivers from AUR

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 460.27.04    Driver Version: 460.27.04    CUDA Version: 11.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 166...  Off  | 00000000:09:00.0  On |                  N/A |
|  0%   52C    P0    24W / 130W |    224MiB /  5943MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A       684      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                     222MiB |

My hardware should be fine as i play different video games from Steam and also VR ones.

I already played HoN on this computer a couple of years ago without issues, but i think i was on a different distro, debian i think.

I may try to uninstall nouveau drivers anyway and see if something change.

Edited by psychoapatic
53 minutes ago, psychoapatic said:

My hardware should be fine as i play different video games from Steam and also VR ones.

I already played HoN on this computer a couple of years ago without issues, but i think i was on a different distro, debian i think.

I may try to uninstall nouveau drivers anyway and see if something change.

Steam also provides a lot of lower spec games, but VR does probably mean your PC is powerful enough ūüėČ.

i3wm should be X11 only, so no wayland either. I'm kinda out of ideas - do you get any output on your terminal if you start the appimage via one - other than problems to start a separate thread? Can you look into nvidia-settings and top (or any task manager) if you can see a bottle neck? (probably 100-200% cpu for hon-x86_64, which is normal).
(the issues with the separate thread can be ignored, I couldn't find any issues when getting those - I guess they are inherited from the browser "plugin" which tries to run multiple threads and runs in just one as a fallback)

9 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

Steam also provides a lot of lower spec games, but VR does probably mean your PC is powerful enough ūüėČ.

i3wm should be X11 only, so no wayland either. I'm kinda out of ideas - do you get any output on your terminal if you start the appimage via one - other than problems to start a separate thread? Can you look into nvidia-settings and top (or any task manager) if you can see a bottle neck? (probably 100-200% cpu for hon-x86_64, which is normal).
(the issues with the separate thread can be ignored, I couldn't find any issues when getting those - I guess they are inherited from the browser "plugin" which tries to run multiple threads and runs in just one as a fallback)

I forgot the report what i got on the terminal

./Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage 
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/05-reset-dirs-sample.conf", line 6: unknown element "reset-dirs"
[1227/155525:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/05-reset-dirs-sample.conf", line 6: unknown element "reset-dirs"

Besides following your steps i also removed libfreetype.so.6 and did :

echo 'SetSave "gl_modesetting" ""' > ~/.Heroes\ of\ Newerth/game/startup.cfg

Otherwise the game couldn't even start at all.

Edit: CPU usage is around 90% but GPU, based on nvidia-settings, looks like 1-2%

Edited by psychoapatic
28 minutes ago, psychoapatic said:

Edit: CPU usage is around 90% but GPU, based on nvidia-settings, looks like 1-2%

Did you look at that during a game with 5-10 FPS or during the menu? During a game it should be at least around 100% (one CPU) if it's not at "maximum" FPS.

Anyways I'm out of ideas - did you try to run HoN without the AppImage? If you're using Arch (and a tiling wm), you should know your way around Linux so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

47 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

Did you look at that during a game with 5-10 FPS or during the menu? During a game it should be at least around 100% (one CPU) if it's not at "maximum" FPS.

Anyways I'm out of ideas - did you try to run HoN without the AppImage? If you're using Arch (and a tiling wm), you should know your way around Linux so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Those are just appearence, i'm very newbie despite i use arch linux, trying to learn ūüėĄ

Thanks for your help, i will see if i can manage to do something on my own ūüėÄ

• 7 months later...
59 minutes ago, FerAnoymous said:

Hi, am new at linux, i don't know how to install.

Can u teach me please or anyone

thanks

Hi,
sure ūüôā.

In case my post rn doesn't help you enough, you should tell us your distribution (Ubuntu, Mint or something else) and its version.

First you need to download the former official client from here: http://dl.heroesofnewerth.com/installers/linux/HoNClient.sh
Store that file somewhere and try to execute it. If it doesn't work or it's opened in a text-editor, right click the file instead and open settings of that file - there should be something named "executable" or something which you can tick a checkbox near to it (it's really depending on the "distribution" how this looks).
After you checked that, you should be able to open the file which will create an installer like you know it from Windows.
In case you get asked how and if you want to open the file, just let it open normally.

As for directories - you can choose any directory you like, however it's probably easiest to put it somewhere below your home-directory (usually /home/your-username/). The default is a good option iirc.

Iirc you should get a desktop icon by this and it might work just fine - try it! If it works, you're done ūüôā.

If it doesn't work, you have different options, either you can start it from a terminal and see which errors HoN throws at you (I can help you if you tell me what errors you get), or you can try my AppImage from this threat. So here's what you do precisely:

1. Download the file from the initial post: https://manu311.de/Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage ). You might store it on your desktop or basically anywhere
2. Create the directory ".Heroes of Newerth" in your home-directory. It has to be named exactly like this - including the leading dot. It might have been created already by your attempt to start HoN.
3. Now move the directory where you installed HoN into, into this directory and rename that directory into ".bin" - again including that leading dot. You should now have the file "hon.sh" inside "/home/your-username/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/".
4. Finally start the AppImage on your desktop (or wherever you put it)

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, FerAnoymous said:

when i try to execute the appimage nothing happends, what i would do?

That probably means that you didn't put the installed files in the right place. If they are not there, it downloads them on its own without any interface - that'll take a little time but should start the repair-tool of HoN eventually (however HoN can't repair all files, some are missing on their servers, which is why you need to put them there manually).
You can run it from a terminal to see potential errors or the downloading-progress.

If you aren't asked how to start it and want to open it in the terminal, right click the directory with the app image in it and search for something like "Open Terminal here" - into that terminal you can type: "./Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage" to manually do that.

Edited by Manu311
  • 4 weeks later...

Pregunto, después de bajar el viejo cliente de HoN de linux, coloco en la raíz de la carpeta el archivo 'Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage' y actualizo con el?

• Confused 1
12 hours ago, ridkv said:

Pregunto, después de bajar el viejo cliente de HoN de linux, coloco en la raíz de la carpeta el archivo 'Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage' y actualizo con el?

Please only post in English, since I'm not sure google translated that well.

It doesn't matter where you place the AppImage-file, however it matters where you place the hon-linux-client. It has to be place in "~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin".
You can update everything just as you usually would.

ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$ ls
base  game  Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage  hon-downloader  libs-x86_64  updater_resources
ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$ sudo chmod +x Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage
[sudo] password for ridk:  
ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$ ./Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage
[manifest.xml.zip]
 End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
 a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
 latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
 the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of manifest.xml.zip or
       manifest.xml.zip.zip, and cannot find manifest.xml.zip.ZIP, period.
grep: /home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/manifest.xml: No such file or directory
/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin
base  game  Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage  hon-downloader  libs-x86_64  updater_resources
grep: /home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/manifest.xml: No such file or directory
/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/game
/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/libs-x86_64
/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/base
/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/updater_resources
chmod: cannot access '/home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-x86_64': No such file or directory
/tmp/.mount_Heroes1VWOmQ/AppRun: 38: exec: /home/ridk/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-x86_64: not found
ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$

• Confused 1

Esta aqui: ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$ cd hon-downloader
ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-downloader$ ls
manifest.xml.zip
ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-downloader$

Lo copie en la raiz de la carpeta y mira lo que me da al tratar de descomprimirlo

ridk@ridk-x453sa:~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin$ sudo unzip manifest.xml.zip
[sudo] password for ridk:  
Archive:  manifest.xml.zip
 End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
 a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
 latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
 the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of manifest.xml.zip or
       manifest.xml.zip.zip, and cannot find manifest.xml.zip.ZIP, period.

• Confused 1

Creo estar en camino ya, evidentemente ademas de crearme dos carpetas y tener que copiar ciertos archivoa de una  a otra, tambien le faltaba al sistema monton de librerias que me esta enumerando una a una

• Confused 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I did everything appointed before ridvk started to post in spanish. But I'm getting the following error when I try to run the game:

./Heroes_Of_Newerth-x86_64.AppImage
~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-x86_64: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_memdup2

I understand library pango is trying to look for dependencies but not sure which one.

To ridkv: 

libk2-x86_64.so

This file is on the HoN folder if you downloaded and installed the deprecated HoNClient.sh from http://heroesofnewerth.com/download/

Linux Client ~4.9GB

bash-5.1$ pwd
/storage/Games/HoN
bash-5.1$ ls | grep libk
libk2-x86.so
libk2-x86_64.so

Just to make it clear I'm testing both ways to run the game with the AppImage on /home/lariesadx/.Heroes of Newerth/ (copied files inside the .bin folder there as well) also trying to run on the terminal with the shell script and binaries on /storage/Games/HoN

Edited by lariesadx
10 hours ago, lariesadx said:

~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/hon-x86_64: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_memdup2

According to google and the Archlinux-forums it's a symbol defined by libglib-2.0. Looks like something changed there after I created my AppImage.

Sadly I haven't been able to work on the AppImage in some time and the prior setup to create it doesn't work anymore either ūüėě. So until I get some free time to update the AppImage, you are probably out of luck with a "plug-and-play-experience".
However I think you might have another option: Your system most likely either has libpango.so already or you can install it (the package is probably called pango or libpango).
Out of my head, I'm not sure whether HoN will load any library that is within the library-path, but trying that first, won't hurt.
So copy that file from "/usr/lib64/libpango-1.0.so" or wherever it has been installed to your system to "~/.Heroes of Newerth/.bin/libs-x86_64/" and try starting the AppImage again.

Edited by Manu311
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply Manu it seems copying or linking the file on the game's lib folder won't do the trick, apparently the AppRun¬†LIBS_PATH="$SELF_DIR/usr/lib64" seems to override that, I'll wait until the appImage is updated, no worries here take your time.¬†ūüėĬ† In the meantime I'll try to figure why it won't run¬†from the bash script or binaries either since AppImages are still very alien and new to me.¬†ūüėÜ

Regards.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 7:21 PM, lariesadx said:

Thanks for your reply Manu it seems copying or linking the file on the game's lib folder won't do the trick, apparently the AppRun¬†LIBS_PATH="$SELF_DIR/usr/lib64" seems to override that, I'll wait until the appImage is updated, no worries here take your time.¬†ūüėĬ† In the meantime I'll try to figure why it won't run¬†from the bash script or binaries either since AppImages are still very alien and new to me.¬†ūüėÜ

Regards.

I got it running on my computer from bash after I did this

First

rm HoN/libs-x86_64/libfreetype.so.6

Then:

echo 'SetSave "gl_modesetting" ""' > ~/.Heroes\ of\ Newerth/game/startup.cfg

After that it was just do ~/HoN/hon.sh

But we maybe got different problems

This was the error I got and the fix above fixed it

warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  86
  Current serial number in output stream:  99

Hope this help would get you running :D

• Like 1

Thanks for your input sandia, but after checking my error output it is indeed diferent from yours, like Manu said is about a change on glib API  from g_memdup() to g_memdup2(), I don't know but maybe only affects some distros like mine, been reading previous post on this thread and seems to work well on gentoo, manjaro, debian systems.

But don't worry I've made the game work with the¬†Unofficial Downloads¬†and some manual fixes.¬†¬†ūüôā¬†