Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
devoautist

Balance Grimmore

14 hours ago, ElementUser said:

Intelligence grants Mana, Mana Regen, and.....that's it

How about making intelligence also give magic armor, analogous to agility?  Or cast speed?

• Like 1

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

12 hours ago, MacroHard said:

How about making intelligence also give magic armor, analogous to agility?  Or cast speed?

Because it would be overbalanced as a stat. Currently each stat gives 2 secondary enhancements:

STR provides HP and HP Regen

AGI provides Attack Speed and Armor

INT provides Mana and Mana Regen

If INT were to provide any further benefits by itself then the others would have to be rebranded as well.

1 hour ago, LokiAuric said:

Because it would be overbalanced as a stat. Currently each stat gives 2 secondary enhancements:

STR provides HP and HP Regen

AGI provides Attack Speed and Armor

INT provides Mana and Mana Regen

If INT were to provide any further benefits by itself then the others would have to be rebranded as well.

Agree on this. If the 2 enchantments idea should be kept, my choice goes to mana regeneration to be replaced by something else because the there's less or no mechanic of a hero relying on mana regeneration too much unlike max mana.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, datfizh said:

Agree on this. If the 2 enchantments idea should be kept, my choice goes to mana regeneration to be replaced by something else because the there's less or no mechanic of a hero relying on mana regeneration too much unlike max mana.

Mana Regen lets you farm harder, fight longer, push further all without having to go back. For some heroes, it's core to their builds.

Not everything needs to do everything.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

7 minutes ago, Hubaris said:

Mana Regen lets you farm harder, fight longer, push further all without having to go back. For some heroes, it's core to their builds.

Not everything needs to do everything.

Fair point. Though my previous statement didn't intend to make most heroes losing their mana regenerating capability, it could be replaced by having innate mana regeneration instead.

The downside I find about innate mana regeneration is the dependency to items in order to scale through the game, unlike mana regeneration from intelligence that scale through both level and item.

In the end, I still choose mana regeneration over mana gain to be replaced with new enchantment if the two enchantments are the limit for new enchantment. 

On 6/10/2020 at 6:28 AM, Bersk said:

What I really would like to see is to change the Magic Lifesteal part of the Item to a Spell Damage Lifesteal. Could open the use of the item to other heros, which would also go in line with its counterpart, since you are not hardly restrained to not buy them (Geos for the case of the dispel, Frostwolf for the active slow; while Grimoire is more binary to the idea of having magic damage)

IIRC the original implementation of grimoire had spell damage lifesteal. I used to get it on Deadwood for the lifesteal from his ult (I believe the cooldown reduction was on spellshards at that time). It was a pretty fun build.

I think Grimoire of Power should just be reverted to its original release. It used to be one of my favorite items in the game.

17 hours ago, iDEXTER said:

I think Grimoire of Power should just be reverted to its original release. It used to be one of my favorite items in the game.

Oh, was that the one amplifying spell damage? I also liked it because it helped scaling up late-game damage to non-auto-attack carries. 

On 7/6/2020 at 1:59 PM, MacroHard said:

I still think the core design is flawed.  The cool down and magic lifesteal benefits casters.  The searing effect benefits attacking.

This is fundamentally why I insist that the searing effect should be applied through the application of damage, not just normal attacks. This small quality of life improvement would go a long way towards Grimoire viability.

This sounds super interesting.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:58 AM, datfizh said:

Oh, was that the one amplifying spell damage? I also liked it because it helped scaling up late-game damage to non-auto-attack carries. 

Decreasing cooldowns does in fact increase your damage (but with way more benefit).

Grimoire allows for some really strong spell cycles on heroes and does a lot more than a dull +% damage buff.

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

18 hours ago, Hubaris said:

Decreasing cooldowns does in fact increase your damage (but with way more benefit).

Grimoire allows for some really strong spell cycles on heroes and does a lot more than a dull +% damage buff.

Agree on that statement but there are drawback for benefit of cooldown reduction compared to spell damage such as additional mana to spend and cooldown itself. Nonetheless, I like the cooldown reduction.

Speaking of old Grimoire, it used to increase auto-attack damage based on mana cost. How about if the percentage of mana cost acts as a buff to deal magic damage on abilities instead of auto-attack? It could be damage overtime replacing current searing effect to lightbrand and its upgrades.

Edited by datfizh
Phrasing the statement.