New CoN Seasons

Seasons were discontinued because:
A) they required maintenance and ressources (even if just to a "minor" extend, but every little bit of nothing you take leaves less something and more nothing if you get what i mean);

b) the constant stat reset encouraged smurfing and made it too easy to constantly derank or maintain low ranks (speaking from experience here sadly have to admit that);

Unless I am demented ofcourse but I am to a major extend certain those reasons were included in the initial announcement.

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, merryhonmas said:

b) the constant stat reset encouraged smurfing and made it too easy to constantly derank or maintain low ranks (speaking from experience here sadly have to admit that);

You can smurf ridiculously easy even without CoN.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, merryhonmas said:

A) they required maintenance and ressources (even if just to a "minor" extend, but every little bit of nothing you take leaves less something and more nothing if you get what i mean);

Hmm I see. I had in my mind that it was effortless,like, you just zero the ranks from all accounts and all get placement matches all over again. 

5 hours ago, merryhonmas said:

Seasons were discontinued because:

They shouldn't have implemented CoN seasons if they're gonna make this an excuse. Anyways, people won't buy gold coins if they'll get it for free every season. 

Edited by LazyDawg
11 hours ago, Falk1 said:

You can smurf ridiculously easy even without CoN.

You could smurf even more easily with Con resets, trust me, they were literally free stat resets. You'd smurf for 3 months on silver and take the last two weeks to break up to diamond or legendary, for the reward if you had no subs, repeat.

Now, if you are caught smurfing it is alot more easy to deal with as you can actually have your account reverted and your stats withdrawn from you if you are deemed guilty of stat manipulation or match manipulation in order to maintain high kd on low ranks.

This obviously could be done before but the regular resets made catching onto it alot more difficult. All it took to get ranked silver was lose 5 matches so all you had to do was play bad without griefing et voila.
Now you have to actually maintain your KD while actively refusing participation if you are that sort of smurf, which is significantly more easy to catch onto.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, LazyDawg said:

They shouldn't have implemented CoN seasons if they're gonna make this an excuse. Anyways, people won't buy gold coins if they'll get it for free every season. 

That makes literally 0 sense.
seasons were introduced around a time when hon still had sufficent funding and a fully staffed team.

then ressources were withdrawn, majority of the team was layed off so now they decided to drop seasons...

i am not catching onto your logic there whatsoever

spacer.png

I think they should make a new season without reseting stats.

Basically remove everyone's rank without changing the MMR, and make it so the first 10 games are worth double MMR

This will make sure noone will get a free smurf account, while refreshing the ranks a bit, considering there are immortal players with less mmr then leg 2 players right now.

Also, the rewards for a new season shouldn't require much effort. Name color for immortal players and a chest of avatars depending on your rank. We don't even need a new TP effect, but that would also be great

I wish FB people saw this and gave their opinion on why this is not, at least, considered

The princess is always in another castle

The problem with seasons is and always was the huge hit to balance.

The entire rating system only has one goal: Make players in a game as equally skilled as possible.
While the success might be something else to discuss, whatever success it has, is clearly ruined by resetting everyones stats.

HoN is a game where you don't improve by a lot within weeks. Your skill has to gradually increase and so will your rating.
To take a look at an older game with a similar skill-development, look at Chess and the ELO-System. Would you suggest just resetting the ELO of everyone every other month? Of course the Elo-System works better since you're playing 1v1 and gaining rating based on the skill-difference (HoN has this too, but it's worse).

The introduction of Seasons together with the removal of Balanced Random was the point where I basically stopped playing HoN (retail) and played only SBT and RCT and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who stopped playing because of that. It took probably half a year - maybe an entire year - before I started to play retail again.

1 hour ago, Manu311 said:

To take a look at an older game with a similar skill-development, look at Chess and the ELO-System. Would you suggest just resetting the ELO of everyone every other month? Of course the Elo-System works better since you're playing 1v1 and gaining rating based on the skill-difference (HoN has this too, but it's worse).

With the difference that you can't really have multiple accounts. (Higher players would be recocgnized by their physical appearance if they would participate in a beginner tournament)

And the implementation of rating floors. (You can not drop below a certain rating once you achieved it)

People could not play anymore if they got banned. (They could use the time to think about their wrongdoing though)

It's close to impossible to smurf with those mechanics in place.

10 minutes ago, Falk1 said:

With the difference that you can't really have multiple accounts. (Higher players would be recocgnized by their physical appearance if they would participate in a beginner tournament)

And the implementation of rating floors. (You can not drop below a certain rating once you achieved it)

People could not play anymore if they got banned. (They could use the time to think about their wrongdoing though)

It's close to impossible to smurf with those mechanics in place.

So your argument is: "because we can't prevent smurfing in general, we should just make everyone a smurf"?

2 minutes ago, Falk1 said:

No, why would you think that?

My assumption was, that you argued against my comparison. And you just stated that you can't smurf if you have to physically appear at a place (like for old-school-chess). I guess the assumption was my bad.

Also, fun fact: Magnus Carlsen smurfs a lot - he always appears in online tournaments with different nicknames and a bunch of people try to guess who he is.

My assumption was, that you argued against my comparison. And you just stated that you can't smurf if you have to physically appear at a place (like for old-school-chess). I guess the assumption was my bad.

Actually at least what I wanted to do, is to support the comparison.

Also, fun fact: Magnus Carlsen smurfs a lot - he always appears in online tournaments with different nicknames and a bunch of people try to guess who he is.

Didn't knew that.

22 hours ago, LennyXX said:

I think they should make a new season without reseting stats.

Basically remove everyone's rank without changing the MMR, and make it so the first 10 games are worth double MMR

This will make sure noone will get a free smurf account, while refreshing the ranks a bit, considering there are immortal players with less mmr then leg 2 players right now.

Also, the rewards for a new season shouldn't require much effort. Name color for immortal players and a chest of avatars depending on your rank. We don't even need a new TP effect, but that would also be great

I wish FB people saw this and gave their opinion on why this is not, at least, considered

Hello? Can anyone read this? :´D

The princess is always in another castle