Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
ztt

Semi-automating the report system

Posted (edited)

Yo, I'll start with an example as usual: Nitro 0/8/0 KDA 5 minutes into the game who start to ward the team jungle only to block you, the 5/0/5 KDA 700 GPM War Beast, from farming. You confront him but instead of owning up to the grief he starts deflecting: "fu wb trash u only farm u should have helped me", what do you do?

Report and CC 15 unless miracles is the usual answer, this means that the current RAP system is broken since the damage is already done when GM's come with the banhammer. To fix this I suggest to make things more live via making it so when a player is reported X times in a game a (team of) GM's should be able to join as spectator(s) of the "live replay" with a lil delay to prevent maphax but with the abillity to pause the game as to discuss with players what's up in real time and solve the issue

In order for this to work properly GM's should be able to kick, ban & replace griefer(s) with fresh respectable players instantly thru a replacement system like I suggested in this thread. With this in place griefers will get their shit rekt in real-time, not a few days or weeks after the incident, hopefully also making it clear to them what's cool and not cool effectively preventing further abuse.

Taking things one level higher would be to build a next-level self-learning AI that automatically flags malicious intent for inspection with high accuracy. The closest thing to this atm (?) is Google Perspective, it's not perfect but could definitively be used in-tandem with a squad of respectable GM's to better keep things in check. This better be a thing in HoN in the near future 🙏.

Also thank you GM's for doing the exhausting (yet somewhat interesting I bet) work of sorting out & dealing with toxicity 👍

tl;dr?????????????????????????????? read the bold text only

Edited by ztt
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ztt said:

Yo, I'll start with an example as usual: Nitro 0/8/0 KDA 5 minutes into the game who start to ward the team jungle only to block you, the 5/0/5 KDA 700 GPM War Beast, from farming. You confront him but instead of owning up to the grief he starts deflecting: "fu wb trash u only farm u should have helped me", what do you do?

Report and CC 15 unless miracles is the usual answer, this means that the current RAP system is broken since the damage is already done when GM's come with the banhammer. To fix this I suggest to make things more live via making it so when a player is reported X times in a game a (team of) GM's should be able to join as spectator(s) of the "live replay" with a lil delay to prevent maphax but with the abillity to pause the game as to discuss with players what's up in real time and solve the issue

In order for this to work properly GM's should be able to kick, ban & replace griefer(s) with fresh respectable players instantly thru a replacement system like I suggested in this thread. With this in place griefers will get their shit rekt in real-time, not a few days or weeks after the incident, hopefully also making it clear to them what's cool and not cool effectively preventing further abuse.

Taking things one level higher would be to build a next-level self-learning AI that automatically flags malicious intent for inspection with high accuracy. The closest thing to this atm (?) is Google Perspective, it's not perfect but could definitively be used in-tandem with a squad of respectable GM's to better keep things in check. This better be a thing in HoN in the near future 🙏.

Also thank you GM's for doing the exhausting (yet somewhat interesting I bet) work of sorting out & dealing with toxicity 👍

tl;dr?????????????????????????????? read the bold text only

Amen.

Excellent ideas.

I'm afraid that won't happen though. FB is comissioning their cash to balancing, getting cash through gold coins and keeping the hardcore players.

They don't care about griefing in lower brackets, since it doesn't generate revenue.

Posted (edited)

That's not really the main reason. The main reason is because systems development take up a huge amount of time & resource investment & coordination between multiple parties to actually pull off. Especially modern features like integrating with AI, and especially when most/all of the parties aren't working on HoN full time. In other words - it's largely a resource issue.

We have bigger problems to solve now - if we start resources on this suggestion, it may take half a year to 2 years + while other important features will get halted. In other words, we don't know as we would need to do a risk-benefit & thorough analysis on whether it's feasible to implement said feature in the first place.

Edited by ElementUser

Also, for a GM to spectate it would require a GM to be a) online and b) available.  Then the GM would have to sit there and try to watch the griefing happen; they can't rewind time and watch the previous transgressions so their only recourse would be to hope they continue griefing to catch them in the act.

Sitting around hoping that somebody griefs again is not a good use of GM time.  They could probably process several normal tickets through replays in that time.

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Posted (edited)

While the suggestion itself isn't bad it won't happen as it doesn't work for HoN due to many factors such as:

a) GMs being volunteers. If you want to make sure to have GMs available 24/7 they need to be paid and this would be sort of a full time job.

b) The changes on the game would be massive. It would require rewriting larger parts of the codebase and due to a) there is no point of blocking resources for that purpose.

c) Also the benefits are rather small cause even if you kick the player on time it will be still hard (unlikely) that you win the game at that point.

That been said there are other things that would help more to prevent this from happening and that would cost less resources + it would work with GMs being volunteers. However, it's not on any priority list and it will take time to implement (if that's going to happen at all).

Edited by hegelsohn