Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
merryhonmas

Incognito replays for GMs to review to reduce bias

Now this will probably immedeatelly call a few of you to arms as GM's are supposed to be unbiased in their judgement but I factually know a few (including one or two SGM) that are NOT!

I don't either wanna break lose any argument or debate reagrding this as no matter what will be said, someone will end up being mad so I'll let this statement sit there all by itself and just simply add that it is factually impossible to remain entirely unbiased everytime.

I am also not accusing any GM or SGM of anything before that kind of debate breaks lose either.

My point is simply that to guarantuee unbiased judgement, a GM should NEVER have the reporting players name nor the reportee displayed on the report they receive.

Nor should they for a fact see the players names on the replay. Due to how everything is set up, I figure the latter one will be impossible unless some small changes are introduced to how GM receive their replays (no more Match IDs, instead cloned replays will be provided through portal ONLY with only SGM being able to pull clearnames from the portals backend (or match IDs) should something go wrong. However that should include a log to keep track of when and why those informations were pulled.

I am proposing this as GM are volunteers and in any other game that has GM handling tickets, they are employed and have no relation to any of the players (usually) which already puts this into a different light. However games that feature public judgement or selective public judgement, hide away players identities to ensure unbiased judgement or make it more prominent due to the lack of personal information that could make for a biased oppinion.

I am suggesting this because there are scenarios during which I have witnessed biased judgement and brought it up (not only toward my person and not only in a negative way!) and things were rectified and corrected. However this was not always just on GM level so after debating myself for nearly 4 months now (yes!) I decided to post this.

However let me point out that this is NOT in any relation to my departure from any of the volunteer groups I previously was part of!

Best regards

• Like 1

1) I completely agree that the reporter should be invisible from the GM perspective.  The system would still track it, of course.  This is a really cool idea, but would probably take some resources to accomplish and would be considered low priority as the upside is minimal.

2) The report must absolutely include the reported person's name.  Otherwise it will take too long to review the ticket.  This would work, as you suggested, if all player names were masked within the replay, but that would require a separate replay system just for the GMs.  That ship has sailed and will never happen.

3) Back in the days, the GM could not cherry pick tickets; the GM simply got whichever ticket the system assigned to them next.  I assume it works the same today.  Therefore the chances that a GM gets the ticket of a friend is very, very low.

4) If you suspect a specific GM is abusing power and you have evidence to prove it (or at least enough to start a meaningful investigation), contact `shattered.  SGMs are generally pretty hard on GMs that act in bad faith.  I have personally seen TWO GMs whose accounts were permanently banned due to abuse of power.

Overall this is a really well thought out and written post.

• Like 1

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

2) no it mustnt, the reported player just has to be marked specifically (special colour for example) so the GM can identify him.

3) they can still not, the system was changed but it not to that extend (first hand experience).

4) i am aware but as i specifically pointed out, that is NOT what i am talking about. its about prevention, not reaction 🙂

21 hours ago, MacroHard said:

1) I completely agree that the reporter should be invisible from the GM perspective.  The system would still track it, of course.  This is a really cool idea, but would probably take some resources to accomplish and would be considered low priority as the upside is minimal.

2) The report must absolutely include the reported person's name.  Otherwise it will take too long to review the ticket.  This would work, as you suggested, if all player names were masked within the replay, but that would require a separate replay system just for the GMs.  That ship has sailed and will never happen.

3) Back in the days, the GM could not cherry pick tickets; the GM simply got whichever ticket the system assigned to them next.  I assume it works the same today.  Therefore the chances that a GM gets the ticket of a friend is very, very low.

4) If you suspect a specific GM is abusing power and you have evidence to prove it (or at least enough to start a meaningful investigation), contact `shattered.  SGMs are generally pretty hard on GMs that act in bad faith.  I have personally seen TWO GMs whose accounts were permanently banned due to abuse of power.

Overall this is a really well thought out and written post.

When we used the old portal there was a loop hole some rouge gms abused, however they were severely punished when they were caught. Sometimes you do come across friends or fellow gms that were reported while doing tickets. However there are protocols in place for when this happens.

Hello,

I personally don't see a reason why the reporter should be hidden. There is no need as people barely check or need that info anyway. There wouldn't be much of a difference.

Hiding the offender name will not happen simply due to the resources it would need as not only GMs would be affected by that. Also, reports for bad nickname would not work.

Over all the years of being a GM there barely have been any cases which where judged in a biased way. The amount of those decisions are negligible. In case you stumble over such a case, feel free to leave me a message on the forums/discord or file an inquiry.

As GMs can't pick tickets themselves the chances of even getting a ticket where a friend is involved are rather small.