Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
madclay

Length of the matches (Extremely long)

Posted (edited)

Hello,

coming back to HoN I have noticed that average length of a match has increased tremendously. I remember some time ago, plenty of updates were made in attempts to try and shorten the average span of a match. However, matches are now longer than ever. I am closing to average match length of 40 minutes after having 100 matches played.

Why is that so? Now it's extremely common for match to go over an hour. People just get bored and start trolling.

Are there any planned updates to touch on this?

Update:
I just had 2 more ~1 hour matches both of which outcome was clear by about 30 minutes into the game. Was kept hostage by a team who both refused to participate as well as refused to concede the match.

Edited by madclay

Yeah, I'm not sure why people want to stay in clearly lost and extremely boring games. The games nowadays seem filled with people who refuse to play, but never surrender. It's as if they queue just to make other people suffer. Perhaps it's what brings them joy? Or are they waiting for the enemy team to grief even harder than they do? Maybe they just can't comprehend that the game is over and believe someone else will miraculously carry them to an undeserved victory.

Whatever the case may be, I often just leave these games. I'm not going to suffer through another 15 minutes ,waiting for the enemy to end, when I can just go next.

• Like 1

If EU would change the silvers reward based on game length, the shorter the game the more sliver you gain, maybe give 1 gold for every 25~30 mins game as a reward.

3 hours ago, TobakaZ said:

Maybe they just can't comprehend that the game is over and believe someone else will miraculously carry them to an undeserved victory.

I remember the times I had not a single clue about this game. If my team called for a concede vote I just downvoted and wrote "Fight!" because I did not like to give up.

So I think they can not comprehend that the game is over, but since they probably know nothing about the carry role than the name, they do not think in those tearms either. They probably think they could win if they perform better, but lack the experience that certain games can not be overturned in 99% of the cases. 

I don't get that experience that people refuse to concede or push. However I might have one that explains your frustration:
In at least 75% of games I'm winning - which are not stomps - at least one person calls for 15 minute concede because "the game is lost" for some arbitrary reason.

Stomps are usually conceded or finished fast. So generally I'm happy with the current system.

• Like 1

People don't understand that they lost not because they've said so, but because of their actions after.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EngineerT said:

People don't understand that they lost not because they've said so, but because of their actions after.

People in general don't understand when they lost and why.
I very rarely see people admitting they are at fault. Most people rather complain about the lack of vision because there are only 3 wards (and a couple of cws) up or the failure of the carry because he has no items - even if he has 500 gpm and a matching inventory.

I see that quite frequently. When they die for the first time, they call for cc15, even if you killed all 5 enemies with that one sacrifice.

• Like 1

-Game's current meta encourages the games to be faster, people just dont know how to utilize their early lead. Thats a consequence of the inability to properly communicate. Long boring games occur often coz of the people, not the game.  HoN Is one of the most fast paced action MoBas. 

6 hours ago, hu22am said:

If EU would change the silvers reward based on game length, the shorter the game the more sliver you gain, maybe give 1 gold for every 25~30 mins game as a reward.

I dont agree, i can think of many ways this can go wrong

I really do not want to go back to 20 - 30 minutes games. It was not fun. I can live with the current situation.

Posted (edited)

Funny how everyone ignored the actual question. But here you go:

The reason for long games atm is  that they removed extra bonus gold (maybe also experience) acquired from team assists, which encouraged early deathballing and caused entire team to quickly accumulate huge GPM. In addition, there was merrick’s for supports (which generated more money than soma’z), so getting sheepstick or similar highly priced items was a norm. All of those were added in patch 4.0 and made everything feel like casual mode, but only until 2018 or so. Now the afk farming meta is back.

Edited by DiazFlac

Posted (edited)

in high level games (as of today), there are games turned around within an instance when it seems completely GG. But those are good players. I've been held hostage like 600 times by people when it is 100 % sure the game is over, considering knowing what people you are facing and what kind of team you have. And if you go afk you get reported for Refusing to participate xD I only give up when its certain. HoN community ah, I'll stop it right there and not go over this stuff again. All I can say is, the supports in high level games are 1500 supports xDD I see it. Most players, most good players have left the game, and there seems to be some kind of mindset that the game is competitive but well, ah forget it. If people have fun its okay. L:et them believe their thoughts and ideas. 

Edited by __trustno1__

7 hours ago, __trustno1__ said:

in high level games (as of today), there are games turned around within an instance when it seems completely GG. But those are good players

While I believe that this happens in games with good players and high level games, I can assure you that this also happens in "low level games". At least if you define my current bracket as low bracket (gold) ;-).

It's probably even more likely in low level games since they turn multiple times because the team that just got the upper hand doesn't know how to utilize on that and it goes back and forth. (That might actually contradict what I just said - it depends on how you define "turned around" 😉 )

no don't consider Gold 1 as low. because of the many new accounts and smurfers and subs. Gold1 is like 1680 thats just well above average, or used to be in the old times. I dont consider that low. Silver and below is considered "low". personally to me

1 hour ago, __trustno1__ said:

Silver and below is considered "low".

Is there even something below Silver at the moment? I haven't seen a Bronze player for a long time and I know a guy whose MMR can not drop below 1400.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:52 PM, __trustno1__ said:

no don't consider Gold 1 as low. because of the many new accounts and smurfers and subs. Gold1 is like 1680 thats just well above average, or used to be in the old times. I dont consider that low. Silver and below is considered "low". personally to me

this is so correct. I guess low is from gold 3/4 and below

• Like 1

I agree with the thesis that game length increased and I think there are multiple reasons for this development:

-all 5 players in one team are provided much more gold and experience than ever before due to items like xp tome, Somaz Orb, removal of jungle respawns after x:35  etc (remember the good old times, when having an average gpm of over 300 was rare and people were considering you a strong player? If you win today, everyone in your team is on almost 400)
-if you play a carry and you have a gpm of 450+ it takes way longer for you to receive a notable advantage over enemy players
-backdoor was weakened
-the new map, movement speed inflation, 50 gold tp costs and changed gold mechanics allow the people to crowd, pickoffs are much harder than in the past (remember the time, when crowding and pubtraining was an indicator that you are about to lose, today this is pretty much standard)