Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
madclay

Discussion, how do you deal with trolls / throwers?

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret:  I'm really not that good at this game.

However, I was fortunate to have befriended people like Insania to carry me.  We two-man queued our way to 1800s with an 85% win rate.  Keep in mind I was a 1550 player, so I would have been dragging him down as well.

He did not "carry" the matches in the traditional sense.  He played support.  He played suicide.  He played jungle.  It didn't matter.

How did he do it?  He encouraged the entire team constantly.  He never stopped talking and every word was positive.  If somebody clearly messed up, he would tell them not to worry.  If they seemed receptive to it, he gave advice.  If not, he made sure the rest of the team didn't pick on the struggling member.  Not a single match, in many dozens of matches with him, had a troll or griefer on our team.  Not ONE.  Did we have really bad players?  Sure... I was one of them!

The point is a great attitude and strong teamwork helps everyone play to their full potential while negating the urge to act out.  There's a reason some players "always encounter trolls" while for others they are non-existent.

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MacroHard said:

There's a reason some players "always encounter trolls" while for others they are non-existent.

Non-existent is a bit to much, but rarely. 

I rarely encounter trolls aswell, and the Toxic community everyone complains about doesnt exist. A few Toxic players have i encounter last few years, but the community is great. 

Ill search for a wholesome printscreen when i get access to My PC.

Edit: https://imgur.com/a/Uql4f In this picture, Pebbles contacted me via a PM after the game. I was tempest. 
Pebbles had a really hard time mid. "feeding" and what not. I pep-talked him and did 1 or 2 ganks for him, and protecting him mid so he could get PK. and he went out being snowball so we could eventually win the game. 

Read his story for yourself. Sorry if I "Out" Scooby here , feel free to delete the picture if it breaks the law. Just think its wholesome and that the community in a whole is not toxic.

Edited by RUS_AGENT007
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RUS_AGENT007 said:

Sorry if I "Out" Scooby here , feel free to delete the picture if it breaks the law.

Calling someone out for something positive is fine 😉 .

And just to contradict MacroHard a bit - as someone who's been playing without long pauses since beta:
I think the troll amount increased - or rather: More non-trolls left than trolls. Or maybe it's just because of the worse working balancing system after Seasons got introduced. However the trolls in my games increased a bunch.
From one every 100-200 games (so basically no trolls at all), it's now more like one every 15 games (actually now usually they appear in groups).
Not counting people that announce to do something but don't actually do it once or people that just run into or kill your stacks, push your lane or do similar stuff. Since that happens all the time and is probably explained by mad/frustrated people - not trolls.
Real trolls however are pretty hard to talk out of it. When groups of two have 20 games of scout + nh each with codex first, you don't simply convince them to not do that.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MacroHard said:

We two-man queued our way to 1800s with an 85% win rate. 

Which year did this occur?

He encouraged the entire team constantly.  He never stopped talking and every word was positive.  If somebody clearly messed up, he would tell them not to worry.  If they seemed receptive to it, he gave advice.  If not, he made sure the rest of the team didn't pick on the struggling member. 

Pretty much sounds like me, though I'm quite far away from 1800.

There's a reason some players "always encounter trolls" while for others they are non-existent.

Good job on victim blaming.

Non-existent is a bit to much, [...]

[...] the Toxic community everyone complains about doesnt exist.

Good job on contradicting yourself.

Just think its wholesome and that the community in a whole is not toxic.

Pretty much depends on how you define community. The player base? People active on the forums? At which extend is a community to be considered toxic?

In my harmful opinion HoNs player base is way more toxic than the ones of other games I've played. From my experience I would estimate that roughly 10% to 30% of the player base are behaving purely toxic regularly.

However something I learned through this game is, that a positive and relaxed attitude can overcome a lot of tough difficulties you encounter, as @MacroHard and @RUS_AGENT007 pointed out.

More true words have never been written. What you wrote is pretty much the reason I stopped playing solo seriously. As solo queuing there is no way of me having as much fun as I have with my boys.

Was that a reference to MLP by the way? 😉

Edited by Falk1

Well i love the responses with the ignore button, thats what im doing. But that  means you cant communicate with him. Sometimes it happens to find them again in a game, and i remember what they have done , and for sure im not unignoring them. 

9 minutes ago, doctornik said:

Well i love the responses with the ignore button, thats what im doing. But that  means you cant communicate with him. Sometimes it happens to find them again in a game, and i remember what they have done , and for sure im not unignoring them. 

I like to say good bye to them before ignore too. 😈

Well, it is possible to communicate with them, verbally however just in one direction. I do this quite often since I want to win. Since I don't care about what they have to say if they made it on my ignore list, I don't mind them not being able to reply. 

• Like 1

I see myself as a teamplayer. Whichever role I fulfill I try my best.
Sometimes people are simply bad/selfish and never cared about the team/setup/lineup.
That is, for me but also for the whole team a crucual factor to indicate where the game may end up.
Let's say we have all lanes ready except for sui and the last one gets a carry to reluctantly engage.
That is an early factor that may indicate a 'sure loss'. Sometimes mistake sometimes trolling.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:43 PM, madclay said:

P.S A legit question, would you rather have a non-fun 1 hour long match where people troll you and you're still trying your best or would you rather troll as revenge and have a bit more fun of a match?

I think as to this question we can look at HoN which path it took in terms of gameplay.
Usually we'll see quick games and the community usually frown upon one that is prolonged.
I think most can agree (unless we're bad losers) that the best/most coordinated (team effort) players wins.

Many times, in our egocentric society and in the heat of things we zoom in on particular mistakes.
One way of trolling could be the unwillingness to see one's own fault whilst simuntaneously blame others.
This is what I'd call babies and if such behavior persisted I'd ignore.

In this team-effort-based game one person could throw/cause a loss without much effort.
It is therefore imparative to keep good morale and communication.
If one person decides to throw there is not so much one can do about it other than acknowledging that they also lose which is good.

I think personally what is one of the better games is where our team have had an early disadvantage, the opponents drops the ball and eventually we manage to turn it to our favor.

Edited by Soultrigger