Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
madclay

Discussion, how do you deal with trolls / throwers?

Posted (edited)

Hello, 

Playing this game since closed beta I know that HoN is notorious for having the most toxic community which is both a positive thing and a negative thing. I would like to start a friendly discussion on how people deal with trolls and throwers in this game?

Personally, just like any other commoner, I rage at them, let them have a taste of their own medicine then they report me and I get banned. Actually, I have never been banned before until I started to play HoN again recently. Now I'm banned on 3 accounts after having played more than 20k matches, because apparently unless you flame someone in russian it's a bannable offense nowadays. By the looks of it people can flame you as long as it's in russian and they won't get banned. Although, I do understand the human factor behind it (most likely few GMs understand russian?)

So please, share me your wisdom how do have a match on european servers without pulling your hair out?

I apologize if my post has any negative vibes to it. I just want to play hardcore HoN and win without having to deal with trolls and people bullying me.

P.S A legit question, would you rather have a non-fun 1 hour long match where people troll you and you're still trying your best or would you rather troll as revenge and have a bit more fun of a match?

Edited by madclay

1 hour ago, madclay said:

Hello, 

Playing this game since closed beta I know that HoN is notorious for having the most toxic community which is both a positive thing and a negative thing. I would like to start a friendly discussion on how people deal with trolls and throwers in this game?

P.S A legit question, would you rather have a non-fun 1 hour long match where people troll you and you're still trying your best or would you rather troll as revenge and have a bit more fun of a match?

I draw a line.

For me this line is pretty much what is reportable plus insulting once.

If that line is crossed I ignore the player.

Regarding your question, I always prefer fun over no fun. However I do not troll as revenge.

• Like 1

Need bring back option "kick player" not kick afk i guess for deal with troller/throwers

1 hour ago, madclay said:

Personally, just like any other commoner, I rage at them, let them have a taste of their own medicine then they report me and I get banned. 

Don't judge others by your own standards. Not everybody rages and retributive justices leads to what you described above - getting suspended yourself. Insulting other players just makes you part of the problem. It literally has no positive effect on the game. It just further lowers the mood of your team and makes things worse. Besides that, the "troll" or "griefer" won't magically stop griefing if you insult him. 

Ignoring those players on the other hand will lead to them losing interest in griefing in most cases. I enjoy the majority of the games I play and I don't care too much about others actions. I lastpick what is needed so the team setup is not fked up from the start. If people rage/insult just mute them/report them. If someone takes your lane just go to a different lane and adjust. 

• Like 2

Most "trolls" are simply people who project their own frustrations onto others.  They assume their allies are the source of their losses, and then lash out when things don't go their way.  There are very few people who queue into matches with the premeditated intent to troll their allies.  The truth is that the circumstances of the game cause them to lose what is left of their maturity.

Fortunately there is a cure!

Break the cycle.  Do not return the salt.  Encourage the troll.  Offer assistance.  Communicate.  When the troll does something good, praise.  Praise other team members as well.  Motivate.  I've seen hundreds of matches where a complaining/griefing player turns it around and starts working with the team after a few good vibes.

Better yet, if you start the match with an outwardly positive attitude, you'll prevent them from acting in a destructive way to begin with.

2 hours ago, madclay said:

I rage at them

If so many of your matches are filled with trolls, what is the common denominator?  I suspect your anger may be apparent before the "trolling" begins.  Do you insult them for poor plays?  Demotivate?  Demoralize?

I think you may be creating your own demons.

• Like 3

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MacroHard said:

Most "trolls" are simply people who project their own frustrations onto others.  They assume their allies are the source of their losses, and then lash out when things don't go their way.  There are very few people who queue into matches with the premeditated intent to troll their allies.  The truth is that the circumstances of the game cause them to lose what is left of their maturity.

Fortunately there is a cure!

Break the cycle.  Do not return the salt.  Encourage the troll.  Offer assistance.  Communicate.  When the troll does something good, praise.  Praise other team members as well.  Motivate.  I've seen hundreds of matches where a complaining/griefing player turns it around and starts working with the team after a few good vibes.

Better yet, if you start the match with an outwardly positive attitude, you'll prevent them from acting in a destructive way to begin with.

If so many of your matches are filled with trolls, what is the common denominator?  I suspect your anger may be apparent before the "trolling" begins.  Do you insult them for poor plays?  Demotivate?  Demoralize?

I think you may be creating your own demons.

4 hours ago, hegelsohn said:

Don't judge others by your own standards. Not everybody rages and retributive justices leads to what you described above - getting suspended yourself. Insulting other players just makes you part of the problem. It literally has no positive effect on the game. It just further lowers the mood of your team and makes things worse. Besides that, the "troll" or "griefer" won't magically stop griefing if you insult him. 

Ignoring those players on the other hand will lead to them losing interest in griefing in most cases. I enjoy the majority of the games I play and I don't care too much about others actions. I lastpick what is needed so the team setup is not fked up from the start. If people rage/insult just mute them/report them. If someone takes your lane just go to a different lane and adjust. 

I believe both of you are trying your best not to be condescending all whilst having word troll in between quotes, although it's an actual word. Topic at hand is not me raging at a bad player but a discussion on how to deal with a troll or a thrower to potentially turn the match around. Bad player and a troll / thrower are completely different things.

To eliminate any suspected "common denominator", which judging by your messages, you try to imply, that it's me, I have actually started an account where I play only supporter and act super friendly towards everybody. Guess what? Same, outcome. You talk to people? They troll, you don't talk to them? Same outcome.

Unless we are playing different game I'll put it EXACTLY how it is, trolling / griefing in this game exists because of the following reasons:

a) ALMOST everybody wants to play a hero that can earn kills, farm easily. Person, who doesn't get to play who he / she wants to will either begin trolling instantly by picking something that's bad for the team or by messing up the lanes. Every match begins with mid / short lane pre-called. Supporter roles feel too much like a chore, slavery hence very few people want to play it. It's not very rewarding.

b) A player dies, out of frustration, thinks it's allied player's fault and starts trolling

c) Farm / Kill stolen either intentionally or unintentionally

d) Not getting the desired lane

f) Playing bad, getting called out for it

To me it seems like you are discussing situation f), which quiet honestly to me had very little impact on the outcome of the match as usually bad player is going to cost the match regardless of whether you engage that player or not. A bad player playing bad is completely different from a decent player playing bad intentionally which is the topic at hand rather than the prior.

Are there any tricks to winning matches with a troll on your team besides /ic or /ignore ? Again, I am not talking about trash talking a bad player. Obviously that won't make bad player play any better. How do you win if you get 2 junglers, 2 people going mid, 4 carries, etc. We are talking HoN here, come on. Should I just leave in such cases and start a new game? Nowadays I don't feel like wasting 1 hour of my time, ruining the mood for an obvious outcome of the match but losing some additional score points for leaving, also increasing leaver %.

It pains me to the bone, because I love HoN, but to me and to many people I spoke to (who left HoN) this was one of the main reasons for leaving. Nothing was ever done to prevent people from trolling (trust me on this, I've been here since Zephyr had a leap, way back in closed beta). I wonder if something can still be done or it's too late for HoN?

Edited by madclay
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If I'm annoyed by what someone says/types, I just ignore them. There's no point in listening to what most players in this game have to say, so save yourself a headache when someone is clearly going to spew nothing but bullshit. Sometimes it can be entertaining to listen to them lose their minds, but when it's not, there's an easy off switch.

When I play with a griefer, I just try to play around it as much as possible. I do my own thing and just try avoid the griefer. When I realize I won't be able to enjoy the game any further, I try a cc vote and if it fails, I just leave. I'm not going to keep playing a game of suffering when I can get into a new one.

Edited by TobakaZ
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Never attempt talking to unintelligent people with argument skills worse than an unreasonable 12 year old. You'll never win cause most of the time they're delusional or just a bunch of emotional lunatics that spew out nonsense. Best thing to do is play your best and hope that you'll never queue into them again. 

Edited by Whyzozerious
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, madclay said:

Should I just leave in such cases and start a new game? Nowadays I don't feel like wasting 1 hour of my time, ruining the mood for an obvious outcome of the match but losing some additional score points for leaving, also increasing leaver %.

In my harmful opinion the MMR is not worth it. The leave percentage can be worked around too.

4 hours ago, TobakaZ said:

When I play with a griefer, I just try to play around it as much as possible. I do my own thing and just try avoid the griefer. 

That is a smart thing to do. As @MacroHard pointed out, a griefer can lose interest, if his griefing is not achieving anything.

4 hours ago, TobakaZ said:

When I realize I won't be able to enjoy the game any further, I try a cc vote and if it fails, I just leave. I'm not going to keep playing a game of suffering when I can get into a new one.

That is exactly what I do too.

• Like 1

No matter what my team does, I always try to win the game. More often than not, that works and makes you even more excited of winning.
I mean they are still doing what they do, but at least you can hear the frustration raising when you don't insult them back and are still trying to win.

Calling/Passing CC simply because they are trolling would just be what they want and punish yourself instead of them.

Also it's quite fun to know they are getting banned pretty soon if they do something bannable.

16 minutes ago, Froschbein said:

/ignore add "PIayername"

Could you tell me how to type this pesky apostrophish sign a lot of people use nowadays on a german keyboard layout?

Then I would definitely use that command more often. 😁

23 minutes ago, Falk1 said:

Could you tell me how to type this pesky apostrophish sign a lot of people use nowadays on a german keyboard layout?

Then I would definitely use that command more often. 😁

shift + ^^ Iinks neben der Backspace (Iösch)-Taste

2 hours ago, Froschbein said:

Please answer in English, even if he probably understands German 😉 .
Also isn't that "-quotes you used there? That would be Shift + 2.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Froschbein said:

If I try to enter that, nothing happens. 🤔

Edited by Falk1

1 hour ago, Falk1 said:

If I try to enter that, nothing happens. 🤔

you have to cIick twice. you mean this one right? ``````````````````````````````````

Just now, Froschbein said:

you have to cIick twice. you mean this one right? ``````````````````````````````````

Yup. Alright, will check it out.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:42 AM, TobakaZ said:

If I'm annoyed by what someone says/types, I just ignore them. There's no point in listening to what most players in this game have to say, so save yourself a headache when someone is clearly going to spew nothing but bullshit. Sometimes it can be entertaining to listen to them lose their minds, but when it's not, there's an easy off switch.

When I play with a griefer, I just try to play around it as much as possible. I do my own thing and just try avoid the griefer. When I realize I won't be able to enjoy the game any further, I try a cc vote and if it fails, I just leave. I'm not going to keep playing a game of suffering when I can get into a new one.

Can I just say that I find this comment insanely funny and ironic? 😄

I think I can pull up literally ANY random VOD on your stream, and you'll be toxic in 95% of them, either by being an overall toxic human, or by doing troll plays.

And yet here you are talking, instead of you know, changing yourself into a less toxic player? ^^

You can check my matchs, i had a griefer in every single game i played this times... Last game was an afk codex nh. I don't know what to do. We don't have an avoid list to not play with this kind of people again, so...

Good luck.

58 minutes ago, no_puedo_mas said:

I don't know what to do. We don't have an avoid list to not play with this kind of people again, so...

Don't solo queue. If you just queue with people of whom you know they don't grief, guess what, statistically the chance of getting a griefer in your team is reduced. 😉 And you will not be alone if getting griefed. If it happens, you can leave together and have another one.

4x /ic and turning off voice chat will make the game even more chill.

I watched madclay's last replay where he took Thunderbringer to solo farm in the shortlane, he died a couple times 1v1 against the opposing suicide hero, then ran to his teammate's sidelane to ruin their game because his own lane was too hard.  I'm pretty sure any trolling he's receiving is because of the selfish way he behaves.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Falk1 said:

Don't solo queue. If you just queue with people of whom you know they don't grief, guess what, statistically the chance of getting a griefer in your team is reduced. 😉 And you will not be alone if getting griefed. If it happens, you can leave together and have another one.

4x /ic and turning off voice chat will make the game even more chill.

That's a good solution, let's all stop playing. We can only play if we have 3 or 4 friends online to invite. Thanks, man.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, no_puedo_mas said:

We can only play if we have 3 or 4 friends online to invite.

Start adding nice people you met ingame and having 3 or 4 friends online to invite will probably be the case very soon.

That's a good solution, let's all stop playing.

Did I propose to stop playing?

However I'll admit that I prefer to not play at all over having a bad time, if your into suffering alone, feel free to continue to do so.

Thanks, man.

You're welcome.

Edited by Falk1

On 17/5/2020 at 15:43, madclay said:

Hola, 

Jugando este juego desde la beta cerrada Sé que HoN es conocido por tener la comunidad más tóxica, lo que es positivo y negativo. Me gustaría comenzar una discusión amistosa sobre cómo las personas lidian con trolls y lanzadores en este juego.

Personalmente, al igual que cualquier otro plebeyo, me enfurezco con ellos, les dejo probar su propia medicina y luego me denuncian y me expulsan. En realidad, nunca antes me habían prohibido hasta que comencé a jugar a HoN nuevamente recientemente. Ahora estoy prohibido en 3 cuentas después de haber jugado más de 20k partidos, porque aparentemente a menos que llamas a alguien en ruso, es una ofensa prohibible en la actualidad. Por lo que parece, la gente puede llamarte mientras esté en ruso y no se les prohibirá. Aunque, entiendo el factor humano detrás de esto (lo más probable es que pocos GM entiendan ruso)

Entonces, por favor, comparta su sabiduría, ¿cómo tener una coincidencia en los servidores europeos sin sacarse el pelo?

Pido disculpas si mi publicación tiene alguna vibración negativa. Solo quiero jugar HoN hardcore y ganar sin tener que lidiar con trolls y personas que me intimidan.

PD Una pregunta legítima, ¿preferirías tener un partido no divertido de 1 hora de duración en el que la gente te trollea y todavía estás haciendo tu mejor esfuerzo o prefieres troll como venganza y divertirte un poco más?

Uff, even if you report some GMs reject you and others do not, for my part there are too many trolls that make you say offensive swear words and they report you and so you are left with the account suspended and the trolls keep on increasing but the GM are not aware of that, they think that one insults trolls players for the pure but it is not so if they could put themselves in our position they would understand us. That is why I no longer report and I can only bear it and let it happen and always play no matter what happens so that the account is not suspended, because the reports do not work, I think or because they are purely to report, I have reported several times but I They take it against me and in the end it hurts me, so I better start playing with bots and it's better because it's the only place where they don't trolle the game. I'm just telling you not to stop playing if they trolling the game ends and then if you want to calm your anger play a while with bots and you will feel relief

My advice would be to stay calm no matter what, yes, the ignore function is your friend when the player obviously is not!

Speaking of friends, friendship is magic and makes magic happen!

If you want to reduce the risks of getting a bad behaved keyboardwarrior in your team, try not to solo Queue and team up with people you trust enjoy playing with!
Perhaps join a Guild where you're certain about that the clan is a troll free one!
Personally ive had and have such great experiences with my old buddies, always good fun and i am very glad to have met them, treasure your friends!

Good luck! ^-^

• Like 1