Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
ElementUser

Staff of the Master - Suggestions Thread

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

If you have any Staff of the Master effects you would like to see in the game, please post your suggestions here. The more detailed, well-formatted & reasonable your suggestion is, the higher chances it may get a consideration to be put into the game at some point.

A few questions to keep in mind:

- Does buying Staff of the Master nullify the hero's weakness?
- Does buying Staff of the Master enable the hero to reasonably play a different playstyle?
- Is Staff of the Master good enough to be considered 100% mandatory? If it is, there is likely a problem in your suggestion.
- Is it worth picking up Staff of the Master as a first core item? Or is it more suitable for a second/third core item?
- If an ally gives you the Master's Legacy boost, will it be worth it for them to dump +2500 Gold into it?
- Is it worth picking up Staff of the Master (4200 Gold) over other items of comparable cost?

==================================================

Some technicals that may or may not make your implementation impossible:
- Will it require any new visual effects or art assets? If the answer is yes, it's likely your suggestion will not work.
- Does it require a new mechanic in the game? If it does, chances are that code does not support the mechanic & it will not be implemented into the game.

Edited by ElementUser

Posted (edited)

SalomonEndless Revenge: While ultimate is active, passively increases movement speed by 25%. Also grants a new sub-ability, Cosmic Swipe.

Cosmic Swipe: activate to deal 300/400/500 + 50% of your attack damage as Superior Magic Damage in a 360° AoE, 600 radius. Units and heroes killed with this ability will grant 1.5/1.75/2x gold bounty. 
Cooldown: 10 seconds.

Emerald Warden - Guardian Overgrowth: in addition to the current effect, now also spawns an extra instance of Gawain over each overgrowth for its duration.

Edited by TruLeLiLoLOL

This is something I was hoping to see the last time Artesia's staff effect got buffed. And that is (plus the global range) to half the time from 8 to 4 seconds when you can move her totem. I believe this is necessary because if you are close to someone the staff effect doesn't give any other bonuses/benefits and it's not worth getting that much. With a lower cooldown it would make her more active and also help to chase down people globally much easier (instead of just putting once and hitting them once or twice). And I don't believe it will make her op because the totem can easily be countered. 

Artillery - Firework strike (W): Increases impact radius to 800 and provides clearvision of the hit area for 5 seconds. Enemy inside this area will take 25% extra damage from LRM ability, dealt as magic damage.

Posted (edited)

Agility Heroes

Spoiler

Nomad: boosting Edge Counter.

The shockwave leaves trail for 10 seconds, letting Nomad enters the True Strike state (2nd ability). The bonus physical damage from this state only happens once to target (2nd ability usage still deals the bonus damage though).

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost acts as pseudo area-denial ability to prevent the opponent dare crossing the trail. Also, huge reward to Nomad if multiple opponents  caught by the shockwave area, even if the opponent has magic immunity. Not a 100% mandatory choice because the effect is limited by the trail the shockwave makes.

Gunblade: boosting Grappling Hook.

Resets the cooldown if the target is died under the grappled state. Attacking grappled target grants Gunblade secondary attack by 40/70/100% of attack damage.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost encourages Gunblade in keeping the grappling state and helps him finishing the grappled opponent quicker. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost doesn't grant Gunblade any sustainability effect to make it less risky. 

The Dark Lady: boosting Cover of Darkness.

Darkness effect also creates an aura by 700 radius, granting 0.5 second stealth and 12/16/20% bonus movement speed to The Dark Lady and her allies.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost tries adapting the ultimate ability name and generally The Dark Lady theme further. Not a 100% mandatory choice because stealth is limited by the short duration and the area around the affected opponent.

Adrenaline: boosting Death's Halo

Halo's Shards lasts indefinite until the next cast and has limitless number of attacks. Aggro range is increased by their attack range.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost gives Adrenaline an area-denial ability through his shards if they left unnoticed. Not a 100% mandatory choice because Adrenaline still needs proper items to make this boost optimally working.

Tarot: boosting Luck of the Draw

Triggered Luck of the Draw heals Tarot by 120/160/200% of damage dealt. At full health, grants a shield instead for 8 seconds - doesn't stack, only renews.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost increases Tarot survivability, scaling well to her damage output. Not a 100% mandatory choice because Tarot still needs both damage and luck to make this boost working well.

Riptide: boosting Perfect Storm

The aura is also active when Riptide is on a river or a puddle. Activating the ability grants Riptide a healing by 40/70/100% of Riptide's agility per attack for 30 seconds.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost makes Riptide less reliant in activating the ultimate ability for the aura effect and activating the ultimate grants Riptide a survivability kit. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost grants mediocre damage output without proper items.

Silhouette: boosting Shadow

Shadow's (illusion) duration is indefinite and able to mimic Tree Grapple ability to the nearest tree, affecting the opponent by 33% of effectiveness (same goes to Death Lotus). Sets the cooldown to 60/50/40 seconds when the Shadow's illusion is killed.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost increases the skill needed to play Silhouette to the next level. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost only grants mediocre damage output without proper items.

Night Hound: boosting Invisibility

Staying in stealth effect regenerates Night Hound's health by 20/35/50% of Night Hound's agility per second.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost increases survivability chance of Night Hound when he goes in stealth mode. Not a 100% mandatory choice because health regeneration in this boost is still able to be countered and it doesn't provide damage boost to Night Hound as damage dealer.

Sapphire: boosting Crystallize

Regenerates 10% of max health per second to allies in radius.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost is inspired from Naga Siren Scepter's upgrade, Sapphire's DotA 2 counterpart. Not a 100% mandatory choice because it only accelerates a second time team-engagement by short amount of time.

Forsaken Archer: boosting Piercing Arrows

Doubles the duration of Piercing Arrows and grants sub-ability to rearrange the Piercing Arrow's shooting direction, has 270/360/450 turnrate.

Spoiler

Behind the idea: this proposed staff boost create a long-range damage as optional damage type to Forsaken Archer. Not a 100% mandatory choice because of this boost is still easy to be countered by magic immunity and nimble opponent.

Edited by datfizh
Tidying the text

King Klout: 

Goblin Toss - Amazing Flying Goblins
- Reduces the spawn rate by 2 seconds (to 6 seconds) and removes Blue goblins (can only spawn as Red)

Circe:

Twisted Visage - Mirror, Mirror
- Choose between normal version of ult or SOTM version during channel time
- Once the channel completes, the target hero becomes a copy of Circe instead of Circe becoming a copy of that hero if the SOTM effect is chosen.

Riptide:

In My Element - Master of Waves
Invisible on water when not moving or attacking
- Can have up to 3 permanent puddles, instead of one
- Enemies in the puddle suffer -10% movement speed and -4 armor

Pearl:

Preservation - Zealous Protection
- Now has a maximum of two charges, gains one charge every 70 seconds.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Psionic said:

Circe:

Twisted Visage - Mirror, Mirror
- Choose between normal version of ult or SOTM version during channel time
- Once the channel completes, the target hero becomes a copy of Circe instead of Circe becoming a copy of that hero if the SOTM effect is chosen.

You do know this results in violating design guidelines & infinite loops right? 😛

If you're Circe, you can gimp yourself by dropping all your items before you use your SotM version to gimp your opponent and basically rob them of their hero/item progression if you manage to channel successfully. Not only that, but in the rare circumstances that your opponent survives as Circe, that opponent can do the same thing for your team.

Utter frustration & absolute garbage to play against if the opponent pulls this off (which isn't hard to do btw). Even if it's hard to pull off, the difficulty of a feat does not justify its end result of making Circe's opponent feel like utter garbage.

Edited by ElementUser

Posted (edited)

Look, I understand your position, but I think that's mistaken. Nothing is stopping someone being ulted by Circe by dropping their gear and gimping Circe the same way a Circe could gimp this player in the way you are describing it. Drop your two best items, pick them up once the ult channel ends, bing. Seems to me like a design quirk of the skill and not really something unique to the SOTM effect for me. Circe's skillset is hardly item dependent, so if there's any hero I'm okay having no items with, it's her.

Circe (and Circe's team) can coordinate CC and effects to stop this, but ergo, so can the enemy team use it to stop the Circe. That's the nice part about being invisible in an illusion-infested fight, though. The player who just got shifted has all the chances the Circe who used this has, to change into a better hero or to twist an enemy into Circe. As for the infinite loops thing, the base duration of the ult is 15 seconds and the actual channel time is 2 seconds, so unless the players are just standing in a circle and having a good laugh, this won't propagate. One invis ward will catch the unfortunate player last to have the hot potato and the loop will end. Assuredly, it will.

Also, I don't necessarily think every player would abhore the idea of being Circe for a bit. The item drop bit might make for some salty betters the first time around, but once they get it, the wards will come out and the salt will end pretty quick, I'd think. You've already made the point that it's not hard to get an ult off as Circe. I would bet you good money that in every game, there's someone who'd like this opportunity to cause a bit of mayhem through getting ulted. I don't think this is inherently bad.

Edited by Psionic

Posted (edited)

the target hero becomes a copy of Circe instead

Don't know if you know what you've suggested........but if you're Circe, you drop all your items but SotM, you ult your opponent, that opponent becomes you (Circe) with just a SotM in inventory, that can potentially infinite loop. Let's say that opponent was a fully farmed 6-slotted carry and he magically just becomes weaker?

It's garbage game design because it penalizes the opponent for a slight slip-up in a drastic manner that erases their progression (even if for only like 15 seconds of the game, if they don't die before then), rather than just giving the original player a big reward (which is what Circe's ultimate originally does). Maybe it'll be fine in a non-serious mode, but not in our FoC.

Edited by ElementUser

Posted (edited)

No, I know precisely what I've just suggested.

Dropping all of your items, besides SOTM, in a game where "All your items, besides SOTM" is significant, then getting a 2-second ult off against a single target is non-trivial.

If you do, you are rewarded heavily, as I think it'd be fair to do so. If you fail, you are dead. Likely, even if you succeed, you are probably dead. Comes with the terrain when you drop all your items and then reveal yourself for 2s in a game with stuns and nukes.

I don't necessarily see how this would be so atrocious in FoC, all things considered. Maybe I'm not considering the contemporary "ultra-butthurt" one player into my calculus, but reality speaking, a 5v5 with a Circe turning into your own team's best hero is in many cases worse for your team than having your best hero turned into a Circe with all her skills ready to go. I don't need to tell you what Circe does, I don't think, but she's got a nuke+ cc tool, a scaling dps tool in Doppleganger, and a disengage tool that are all useful, especially in a pitched fight. In the worst case scenario, a 4-1 lineup with a clear hard carry, this spell variant is an *objective* improvement over the old version, and if it's a 4-1 strat you've got four heroes with one job, that is preventing that from happening. I simply disagree with you. Which is unfortunate, since you get to place the numbers and write the things and do the stuff.

Edited by Psionic

^ That staff effect being broken balance wise aside, that gameplay is just unfun for everyone involved imo. Being incentivized to drop everything on the ground then comeback to pick them up later, urrgh. Essentially doing a super cc for 10s+ on a carry or worse, turn him into enemy support, who will probably proceed to smash keyboard yelling on top of his lung about how stupid it is and will never play this stupid game again, urrrrrgh.

The difference is like gaining gold for oneself, vs deleting gold from other players, psychological impact is different and it's a negative one. I personally would never want to see it.

My Sotm suggestion: Nomad: Edge Counter duration increased by an extra 1.5s, during which nomad can cancel it by any action. (Initial 1s stays the same, then followed by 1.5s that can be cancelled). If Nomad maintains Edge Counter for the full 2.5s duration without cancelling, activates the counter toward the mouse cursor (if possible, or can just be the nearest/furthest hero in range).

Reasoning: I've been wanting a different build for nomad for a while now, this will enable it while not being mandatory and isn't a 100% buff to his normal damage build. The extra duration is unbeneficial for a carry, you don't want to spend time not hitting, it is also worse vs other carries due to SH. Hence it's not a straight buff but a branch out into tank/utility builds.

• Like 2

Some of these are on my Reddit posts but I want to revise them so I'll write it all anyways.

1. GUNBLADE - "Gunner's" Grappling Hook (R) - boosted - cast range increased to 1000. CD reduced to 15s. Can now target on ground to throw grappling hook on first enemy hero hit. If ability is done this way, grappled enemy will be restrained and not be able to move away from him. While the target is affected by the ability, Gunblade can attack the target even at max range and gains a stackable +10% attack speed for each attack to the target. Click the ability again to go towards the target (even creeps & trees).

If the ability hits a creep or a tree, no buffs will be gained.

2. WARBEAST - Alpha's Howl (W) - boosted - can't deny he is too simple and plain to play now that even his SotM boost just promotes a very lazy fighting style. So I'm suggesting to give him a damage bar to accumulate auto-attack damage from Warbeast and his 2 wolves through his Howl (W). Consuming this bar (Alpha's Howl, a created sub-ability to E) will allow him to force-Metamorph right into his wolf form after 3 seconds (and extends wolf form duration if casts during Metamorphosis) or summon another 2 wolves instead (total of 4) if desired . The damage bar will perish if Howl (W) ends prematurely. Forced Metamorphosis has a 20% chance to metamorph with a higher critical rate or summon +1 wolf. This is to put Warbeast on the same line that D2 Lycanthrope can do now. It feels like ported heroes from D2 are million miles left behind as of the moment.

3. DAMPEER - Vampiric "Stalk" - New SotM Additions - Double Click or Click to self to engage in flight mode. Allows him to have a wider radius night vision and a faster movement speed like a vampire stalking for prey but Dampeer cannot auto-attack during flight mode. Flight duration is 25s unless attacked, silenced, or activates a spell.

4. RIPTIDE - Undertow (W) - boosted - Upon casting Undertow (W), Riptide leaves a permanent water trail behind that ends right at the end of Undertow. Cast Range increased to 700(?). Undertow now grants an invulnerability when traveling (D2 Morphling)

5. BUBBLES is fine. But even as a SoTM lover, I still will not spend my 4.2K gold on him. Its boost is most likely for shrunkenhead-counter purposes and that's where all your 4.2K gold goes. Can it be a superior mini-stun applied every second?

6. DARK LADY -"Sphere" of Darkness (R) - boosted - Radius increased by 200. After casting the ability, Cover of Darkness will also continuously apply on the target area creating a sphere of darkness. Affected enemy targets will only regain their point of view if they return inside the sphere. Nobody will have a view of the inside unless he enters the sphere himself. Targeting abilities as well as ground-targeting spells will still work when you hover the cursor towards the sphere. But it's more like of guessing where the target is.

7. SOULSTEALER - New SOTM additions - Negative Armor aura must also be changed to Negative Magic Armor Aura. Demon Hands' casting time must be greatly reduced to the point wherein Soulstealer will transition from a carry to a pusher/support/magic burst. From the usual Agility luxurious items to another ways of playing him like a supportive/magic/burst like Post Haste, PK, Kuldra, Armor of the Mad Mage, Grimoire, Euls, Codex.

8. KINESIS - We know Kinesis loves to lift stuffs and trees. But his 1-tree lift before was very beneficial to escaping, chasing, and providing shield. I know this may look insane on paper but an ability steal, 1-tree lift and cluster of tree-lift (placed on W and E respectively), his shield, and his enemy lift (which may make it better if it can also affect allies for damage mitigation and saving purposes) is the best skill set he can ever have. If the tree-lift damage is too much, then damage reduction is fine.

9. DRACONIS - New SotM Additions - Leaves Cataclysm volcano remnant at the end of duration. Max of 1 volcano. 20% chance to activate the volcano again upon traveling.

10. Amun-Ra - "Devastating" Rebirth (R) - boosted - Can now revive at will or wait until he revives automatically to deceive foes. On rebirth, applies a greater Ignite (W) that affects enemies within 600 radius that knocks them back. A dying Amun-Ra is for sure in distress and needs a moment to breathe.

11. ACCURSED - New SotM additions - Before Ult ends, Accursed absorbs 10% of the last damaged received and temporarily add to his damage.

12. NOMAD - Mirage Strike illusion - boosted - Mirage Strike (E) illusion now gains 100% attribute, damage and damage taken, and mirrors Nomad abilities when casts. (This means it will be like a real Nomad coming to you but turns out to be an illusion after a moment to deceive enemies.) The illusion will continue to live for another 3s until it reaches its target. If Nomad is disrupted, stunned or silenced or when he mirrors an ability his abilities while the illusion is travelling, the illusion will last only for 3s.

13. OOGIE - "Unstable" Surge (R) - boosted - After activating the ability, activate to transform again in a terrible form that gives either a +100 Movement Speed and +100 Attack Speed boost or Removes the limit of Tar Quakes (Q) at the cost of own health per second.

14. WARCHIEF - "True" Spirit Walk (W) - boosted - The Invulnerable Spirit now mirrors Warchief which means like a real Warchief coming to attack them with 70/80/90/100% damage and All-Terrain Walking. Channeling time increased to 6s.

15. QI - A "Million" Cuts (W) - boosted - Throws a second blade after 1s. Activate again to channel the blades toward the cursor.

16. FORSAKEN ARCHER - "Heavy" Piercing Arrows (R) - boosted - Each arrow also knocks back enemies. After using all the 8 arrows within 4s, the image leaves heavy piercing arrow pickables. When picks up by Forsaken, it grants 2 stackable "Heavy" Piercing Arrows Shots that only proc forward when attacking and when Split Fire (W) is turned off. Double-click the ultimate to consume and grants 4 stackable arrows instead.

17. SILHOUETTE - 2 SHADOWS (R) - boosted - You heard it right. Now spawns 2 Shadow illusions.  Like-A-Ninja swap prioritizes the nearest illusion to Silhouette. I don't know but it seems not enough as an SotM boost so I'm suggesting to reduce the cooldown of Like-A-Ninja or the ability itself.

18. PEARL - "Maximum" Preservation (R) - boosted - Can now be targeted on the ground. Activate again to reduce the circumference of the sphere, push enemies inside and trap them inside the protected area. No abilities/spells can save them from being trapped except abilities from outside. Auto-attacks and spells outside of the protected area have 25% damage reduction on allies.

19. ELECTRICIAN - Cleansing "Power" Shock (R) - boosted - Can now target Defense Structures; attack speed will be doubled while also has a 15% chance to attack with a mini-Cleansing Shock to an enemy. Repeatedly using the ability also grants +15% attack speed to Electrician.

20. SKRAP - "Trained" Vorax (R) - boosted - Trained Vorax means he becomes controllable but stays in its lane but only with 3 active skills. Attack, Defend, and Retreat. Attack means push forward. Retreat means return back to fountain. Defend is to hold its position, becomes ranged and acts like a defensive structure. However, this ability can only be enabled when on a destroyed structural post. But what if Vorax becomes as one with the structure if there is nearby?

21. LODESTONE - "Super" Shatterstorm (R) - Can now be activated to detonate early. Radius is increased to 700. Allies hit will receive Lodestone Plates for 4s.

22. CHRONOS - "Backtrack" (W) - New SotM rework - Toggle to change the ability from Rewind to Backtrack. Backtrack (W) puts the SotM effect on Time Leap (Q) which heals the health of Chronos back to the time before an event happens to him. It also greatly reduces its cooldown to 4s. However, Rewind's SotM effect still focuses on his Ult which also increases the radius of Chrono Field (R) by 200 units.

23. MARTYR - New SotM Additions - Healing a full health or semi-full health ally will completely heal and create a temporary second life bar that perishes in 3s. Works on Martyr, too.

24. GRAVEKEEPER - Zombie "Invasion" (R) - boosted - Duration is increased by 2s. Zombies picked up through Defiling Touch (E) can now be added to the amount of zombies being spawned by his Ult (max of 10 units). Zombies now have 1.5x increased starting movement speed, gain a +10% buildup overtime, and have an increased attack radius. 

25. PUPPET MASTER - "Evil" Doll (R) - boosted - Any active ability of Puppet used on the doll takes the control away from the enemy player. Casting Voodoo Doll gives an Overriding Command Mark from Puppet which allows the user to use the enemy's item or cast his ability, stop/cancel/disturb his stuff, or simply move the enemy to a location. After casting Voodoo Doll, any active ability of Puppet Master casts to it will grant +1 Overriding Command (max of 2). An Overriding Command execution lasts for 1s or 2s if it's a movement or stopping command. Overriding Command mark status only lasts when Voodoo Doll is still active. I wish it can happen not only through his ult.

26. NIGHT HOUND - "Total" Invisibility (R) - boosted - Every time Night Hound uses an ability, he goes beyond his limit and completely becomes invisible which is unrevealable, unattackable, untargettable, and invulnerable. This lasts for 2s.

27. TAROT - "Farther" Scry (W) - boosted -  Gives +1 more Far Scry charge. If the marked enemies are within 800 units around the target you attack, your attacks will get them both. However, if the marked target is away but within 800 units of the other marked target within 800 units of the target you attack, your attack will still seek the farther enemy until both become out of range.

28. PROPHET - "King" Raven Form (R) - boosted - Attacking or casting spells in this form will no longer lower the duration. Taking damage from enemy players will no longer remove the movement speed bonus. Increases vision by 100.

29. DEMENTED SHAMAN - "Global" Healing Wave (W) - boosted - If Healing Wave is done on a very far location or globally, it will start healing the first target then chain to the second nearest, third, until all allies around the map receives the heal. Enemies around them still receives the damage. (Like D2 Prophet's Ultimate)

30. CALAMITY - Sunder's Vault (R) - New SotM Additions - After the damage hit the center, it is released and will spread away in different directions continuously even if the ability ends already. The spread radius is 1000. It's like a firework.

31. WILDSOUL - "Lone" Booboo (Q) - boosted - If Wildsoul is away or dead, Booboo can still live and be able to attack even without his master's presence. No longer deals damage to Wildsoul when it dies.

32. PARASITE - Infest (W) - New SotM Additions - Can now infest even on tier 1 player-controlled units. Moreover, Parasite can now directly cast his spells and items even when still inside a unit. However, to reduce the frustration of being a Parasite, staying inside for too long drains the unit's effectiveness. Which means even speed, damage input and skill effectiveness are significantly reduced.

0s = 100% effectiveness
15s = 75%
30s = 50%
45s = 25%
60s = Force Parasite to consume or get out of the target.

Now to give anti-Parasite fans more moments to rejoice, consuming or getting out of an infested unit makes Parasite vulnerable to damage, inflicting him a 30% self damage amplification for the sin he made.

33. MONARCH - Gust Wind (R) - New SotM Additions - is now Global. Enemies will be pushed back when the second Gust Wind comes in.

34. MIMIX - "Extra" Schism (R) - boosted - Casting an ability creates +1 Schism illusion for 30s.

35. RAVENOR - "Supreme" Blades (W) - boosted - Increases the proc to 4 attacks. Increases the radius forward up to 700 units away. Increases the number of units affected to 6/7/8/9 targets.

36. KANE - Face Off (R) - boosted - Grants 15% chance that an attack will proc Face-off. Moreover, every successful attack that Kane makes during Face Off steals 0.5/1/1.5 damage from enemy permanently.

37. BALPHAGORE - Hell on Newerth (R) - boosted - Changes the damage output from Magic to True Damage. Adds 15% Balphagore's lost health to total damage. 

38. KING KLOUT - "Mega" Goblin Toss (Q) - Adds White Goblin which is the same as Green but can bounce to an ally and heal for the same amount. Adds Black Goblin which is the same as Blue but inflicts fear or stun for 1s. Ability can be activated when stunned or silenced.

39. RAMPAGE - "Royal" Rhino (R) - boosted - No longer has a delay and pushes the enemy target closer to you. However, if an enemy gets nearby or attacks you, another Greater Rhino will be applied to the nearest enemy hero nearby.

40. GLADIATOR -

1st Version - Pitfall "Menace" (Q) - boosted - Can now be casted globally. When successfully hit an enemy hero, it leaves a Pitfall mark on the area for a long time. The next enemy who steps on it will trigger it after 1s for a second Pitfall.

2nd Version - "Global" Pitfall (Q) and "Global" Call to Arms (R) - boosted - Can now be casted globally. Call to Arms (R) now has a 2x faster arriving speed. However, Showdown (W) duration is increased up to 10s if casts to self.

41. VINDICATOR - Final Chapter (R) - boosted - (Double-clicking Q and E should cast the ability on his location for QoL purposes.) When an enemy dies through kill or assist, while taking 1 intelligence from him, Vindicator applies a 1s silence in 1000 radius to enemies.

42. ENGINEER - "Advanced" Spider Mines (E) - Spider Mines now have an increased attack and detonate radius and mine count. After casting The Keg (Q), leaves 1 spider mine on the location. After casting Steam Turret (W), leaves 1 Spider Mine on the location. After casting Energy Field (R), all the nearby Spider Mines within 1000 radius will rush toward the enemies inside the field and detonate.

43. ADRENALINE - "True" Ember Shards (E) - boosted - Now also restores 4/5/6/7% current mana from auto-attacks. Also removes Shard Blast (Q) cooldown.

44. KRAKEN - New SotM Additions - Tsunami Charge (W) can now drag 5 units forward, prioritizing enemy heroes.

45. FAYDE - "Natural" Reflection (R) - boosted - Makes the ability passive. Passively removes the cooldown when no enemy is nearby within 2000 radius.

1 hour ago, merryhonmas said:

90% of those are just ridiculous @Claudineee....

Yet @Claudineee brought up the ideas, credits for doing so.

@merryhonmas

You could be more constructive by being precise.

Which are 90% the suggestions you deem ridiculous and what makes them so?

You could also tell him something about the good ones, in your opinion, too.

1) halfed cooldown (or more), doubled max range (almost), exponentially increasing attackspeed, inheriting movement mechanics.... if this were a "choose one" thing, fine, but this is ridiculously broken, just way over the top, that is essentially three staff effects combined into one

2) this was too much chaos for me or i am too exhausted to comprehend, should I have misunderstood please excuse me, but to me this sounds like the initial Ravenor issue where he would just stack up his passive in the jungle and then melt everything and return to the jungle. except including additional creep value and set max movementspeed ontop of crit multiplier. if so then go figure...

3) basically a watered down version of Klanx's H.A.W.K? not sure the hero needs an additional tool that allows him to maneuver the map disregarding of obstacles, ontop of being one of the few only heroes that can nuke a support as easily with just one single item obtained (as it is now). I am simply not sure why the hero would require more maneuverability. Or is that something you only came up with ebcause the heroes basic idea is being a vampire with wings?

4) i could get behind giving him more puddles or moving him out of that boring "be silenced + slowed so i can autoattack you for 4 seconds" corner but it's not a hero i identify with at all so i can barely give a proper oppinion on that. in my oppinion the hero itself is just plain boring and annoying, either complete lackluster or in rare cases very difficult to deal with, just generally not a good concept considering how much he relies on the maps properties to begin with.

5) i would absolutely get behind Bubbels receiving a more useful staff effect, afterall the ult tether is still a major condition that has to be broken and unless i misremember, the staff only benefits the tether break stun, not the initial cast itself. but regardless compared to some other staffs out there, the hero could use SOME form of a more beneficial staff. personally I'd not give him a aoe superior tempest blast tho. Rather reduce the cooldown on his q, or have bubbels autocast Song of the Sea either after Teleporting to shellsurfs location OR when it expires without him teleporting to it (unless silenced or stunned!) so it does somewhat match valks staff (reduced damage and silence duration tho, obviously).

6) i am not sure i entirely understood that but having to return back into that sphere to have the ult removed seems something entirely unreasonable to expect from opponents. allowing her to cast her e in a aoe instead of singletarget would suffice completely due to its low cooldown and high kill potential. it wouldnt make for a great staff (not worth 4.2k) but could make for a decent enough boost (2.5k) as the slow is rather strong, not gonna lie, if used well!

7) i don't get your point here. why would you reduce his cast action time? the ability has way too much cooldown and if you want to push, getting thunderclaw will be so much more valuable instead combined with the insane early game autoattack damage buff you receive from killing creeps. increasing the amount of souls by 20 already is strong, tho again not worth 4.2k, rather 2.5k if you have gold to spare on someone else. would be much more profitable to ss to instead increase the -armor aura by a slight amount -OR- have the aura apply -armor matching your current attack type (phys/mag) accordingly.

8 ) not gonna work, e is forgetting the stolen ability. would make for more hotkeys and the hero already requires decent macro and alot of activatable items if you wanna reach it's skill ceiling, adding another one will just add to the confusion, plus he does not really need it tbh. i dont see how that hazzle is gonna be compensated by the ability to lift one specific tree, ontop of that you are not able to select the tree you want to lift, but it is randomized among the most closest units (always choses closest unless several are at the same distance, then it seems to be random), so you gained nothing but added more annoyance and basically just gave a slight damage boost.

9) reviving at will is too powerful. allowing to revive within a 2 second window at will or as it runs out automatically is something that could be interesting as it does "somewhat" allow ra to play around "you died once you now are trapped" situations if he is solo. then again the ult already grants a second life sooo.... again tho and this is highly personal oppinion from the days i used to play RA alot, he doesnt need a nuke damage buff... in not a single situation.. his passive is the absolute lackluster when it comes to the regen it provides. that's where staff effects should add something. maybe double the regen and give a armor bonus that slightly increases with lost hp or whatever.

10) that will just end up in volcanos being everywhere and fucking up movement and even area accessability.. too easy to abuse. however if he were able to place a primal volcano instead of a normal volcano by his chosing (subability!) that would remain dormant and allow draconis to return (flight) to it until he places another primal volcano somewhere else (which removes the first one), now THAt could make your suggestion interesting.

11)  by "last damage received" are you referring to a single damage tick, or an intervall? because thats a major difference. not sure thats what he needs tho but i have no real oppinion on that, i mostly ignore that hero since it is way too easy to counter in any single existing regard.

12) not sure how you intend on doing that, how do you control where it goes? after it attacked the target will it stand there like an idiot until you cast another spell? also you have that 0.1second (or less) gap inbetween the cast and the spawn of the illu. so as someone with not the worst perception, you should always be able to spot whether it is mirrage or true strike (i once brought this up as a "bug" a few years ago but was told that due to engine restrictions this could never be changed and even while reduced there would always be that noticeable delay, by elementuser himself). i do agree tho that nomad desperately needs a GOOD staff effect as the hero is actually fairly bad all facts considered.

13) not sure what your intend is here, do you want oogie to have two ults? or will it replace the initial ult? not sure a single hero exists that should receive a flat +100 attackspeed buff (are you even aware of the amount of attackspeed modification this provides you with, actually?)!

14) it should not look like a real warchief and being able to attack with it would just cause any decent player to camp somewhere and abuse the all terrain walking and free autoattacking for 6 seconds to deal damage while being hidden themselves. also this ability seems to cause alot of crashes that have not been resolved in the past anyway so maybe there should be a different staff target on that hero until that has been resolved (just some personal input here).

15) not sure why you chose to buff his w which was one of the more frustrating abilities that hero had (hence why it was nerfed). maybe improve his passive instead? 🙂

[...] more to come, have some other important things to attend too first, either today later or tomorrow.

keep in mind all of those are MY personal oppinions.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@Claudineee

Not to be THAT guy but what are the reasons for some of these Staff suggestions? What do they accomplish? Do they encroach on all other builds? Does Staff become a necessity? 

Its important to have a clear design goal in mind.

Some of your changes look like they are just pure number buffs like the Old Staff Upgrades (eg: Balphagore), some just are mechanically impossible or overly complicated (eg: Puppetmaster), some seem meaningless (eg: Accursed) and others seem overly strong (eg: Gladiator). That's not to say you can't push the envelope with a design, but I think its important to look objectively at the idea, the hero, their kit, their build order, and the feasibility of actually acquiring SotM.

Let's take a look at just one, as its hard to scroll through. Note that I am picking one that is easy for me to critique for this, so I am self-proclaiming an almost straw-man here.

26. NIGHT HOUND - "Total" Invisibility (R) - boosted - Every time Night Hound uses an ability, he goes beyond his limit and completely becomes invisible which is unrevealable, unattackable, untargettable, and invulnerable. This lasts for 2s.

"Every time Night Hound uses an ability". Look at his Kit and see that Pounce (W) has a 5 second cooldown at maximum level. This means that for 40% of his fight time he is completely invincible. This is absolutely absurd for a hero who needs to be locked down. Not only that, why would you take a Shrunken Head over this? Why would you take any protective item over the ability to have full invulnerability? Extending that further, you can still get Shrunken or Nullstone and have someone farm you an extra 2300 so they can Staff you and now you have an unkillable monster on the battlefield. This also means that you stop debuffs, stuns and everything else when you are invulnerable but you can continue to attack, use items and most egregiously, use more abilities

I think taking a step back and looking critically at what you propose would go a long way because you have some interesting ideas here such as with Fayde's Reflection but they are mired in all of the ones that are not that well thought out.

Edited by Hubaris
  • Thanks 1

I need to know something, Newerth. The way we used to be together... I... I don't mean lately, but before... It was real, wasn't it?

Posted (edited)

Strength Heroes

The Gladiator: boosting Call of Arms

Grants  Call of Arms effects to self as passive.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost grants The Gladiator a survivability kit. Not a 100% mandatory choice over offensive weaponry.

Ichor: boosting Bloodrush

Allied hero(es) attack under the aura effect reduces their cooldown by 0.4/0.7/1 seconds (restriction to certain abilities follows Warchief's Warcry rules)

Spoiler

The idea: this boost also benefits allied caster besides allied attacker. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost benefits less to none to attacker as the team's ace at later stage. 

Xemplar: boosting Schism

Every kill or assist resets Schism's illusions duration and grants them a staking 10 health regeneration for their entire lifetime.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost grants a durability to illusion. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost is still able to be countered and this boost only focuses to Xemplar's illusions than  Xemplar himself.

Rampage: boosting Greater Rhino

Brings Chain That Bind effects back to target after getting thrown by Greater Rhino.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost brings nostalgia. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost reduces less to none of Rampage's weakness.

Shellshock: boosting Superconductor

Allies has their damage taken reduced by 10/20/30% from outside of Shellshock's Superconductor radius.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost is like a walking Pearl ultimate but harms enemies inside of it or it's like Tremble's 1st ability but also affects allies. Not a 100% mandatory choice because enemies still can go inside Superconductor radius to eliminate the damage reduction.

Balphagore: boosting Hell on Newerth

At max charge, spawns two Volatile Minions but only one is killed instantly. Also, a Volatile Minion is spawned next to Balphagore each time he casts an ability.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost grants Balphagore a pushing potential. Not a 100% mandatory choice over any items benefiting team.

Ravenor: boosting Power Overwhelming

Ravenor targets an allied hero to give his Power Overwhelming charge's benefit by 80 charges, reducing his own charges by 80. Can be activated if he has 80 or more charges by 1 second cooldown. (Charge decaying follows Ravenor's charge decaying rules, also an allied hero is only possible to have a maximum 80 charges).

Spoiler

The idea: this boost grants Ravenor a supporting capability. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost depends on Ravenor attack speed at very least to accumulate the charge.

Amun Ra: boosting Pyroclasmic Rebirth

Spends additional 41% max mana to resurrect (spends total up to 91% max mana), potentially grants Amun Ra a 100% health once resurrected. Also grants Amun Ra's tapering max health by 0/10/20% of Ra's max health over 10 seconds if Amun Ra spend more than 90% of max mana to resurrect.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost punishes Ra's opponent neglecting one of his weakness before resurrected, his mana. Not a 100% mandatory choice if opponent manages to exploit this weakness. 

Electrician: boosting Cleansing Shock

Cleansed effect has additional effect to deal increased attack damage by 2/3.5/5% of Electrician's mana, and Shocked effect applies a tapering attack damage reduction by 2/3.5/5% of Electrician max mana. The additional effects only apply to heroes.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost encourages Electrician to buy mana items as complement of this boost and his 2nd ability. Not a 100% mandatory choice because this boost is quite expensive as a helping tool.

Kane: boosting Face Off

When on cooldown, attacking reduces Face Off cooldown by 1 second. Also apply tapering 40/70/100% base damage reduction over 4 seconds to survived target, doesn't stack - only gets refreshed.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost complements attack speed granted by Face Off and give negative effect if Face Off's target is survived. Not a 100% mandatory choice if Kane chooses himself to be a damage dealer.

King Klout: boosting Parade of Power

Range needed to give full effects of the ability is reduced to 2000 units. Parade of Power also affects allies by healing them up to 150/250/350 health and applying 20 mana regeneration for up to 1.5/2/2.5 seconds (doesn't stack, only gets refreshed).

Spoiler

The idea: this boost grants King Klout a supporting capability. Not a 100% mandatory choice if King Klout chooses to increase his damage output.

Lodestone: boosting Shatterstorm

For every enemy hero hit by Shatterstorm, grants Lodestone 10/20/30 health regeneration and 20% of attack damage as magic damage to his auto-attack for 5 seconds.

Spoiler

The idea: this boost improves his survivability capability and improves his mixed-damage concept as the after-effect of activating Shatterstorm. Not a 100% mandatory choice if Lodestone prefers items benefiting allies.

Edited by datfizh

Posted (edited)

Silhouette, Staff of the Master:

[W] Tree Grapple (new addition): The link between Silhouette and the grabbled Tree now deals 15/25/35/45 magic damage per second to enemies it touches for as long as it lasts. Additionally all enemy heroes and pets that are touched by the tether now receive a lingering 2 second 80% movementspeedslow (full value for 0.5 seconds, lingering off over 1.5 seconds) the first time they make contact with it.

This is supposed to incentivice her positioning while granting her a slight damage boost that can potentially also turn the ability into a semi farming tool as it now also finds use versus creeps/mobs. Additionally, aside from being used as a stun or escape tool it now also serves as a source of damage  and general crowd control, to help during teamfight scenarios where a simple stun would be helpful but not ideal right away. Basically granting it additional value on the cost of more careful positioning. Numbers obviously just for display purposes

[E] Relentless Salvo (new addition): each stack applied to an opponent reduces their physical armor by 0.25/0.5/0.75/1 up to a maximum of -2/-4/-6/-8.

the idea here is to grant the ability a more straightforward and better scaling lategame value, as it falls off toward endgame rather drastically, since the damage applied is physical, and armor generally increases, thus rendering it rather weak, or literally useless when combined with Harkons. Which, compared to other damage scaling abilities/crits makes this ability super weak late game and mediocre early game and midgame in an equally skilled matchup. so this should serve as a physical carry incentivisor and enabler, altho again numbers are only for the purpose of display and most likely need heavy tweaking!

Edited by merryhonmas

Posted (edited)

Rampage, Staff of the Master:

[R] Greater Rhino (new subability); [R] The chains that bind: Brings back the old ability and places an activatable subability on the Slot of [E] Horned Strike, to toggle between both ultimates. Upon cast grants a 2/3/4 seconds lingering +120 Movementspeed bonus, a 0.5/1/1.5 seconds crowd control Immunity and for the Movementspeed Bonus's duration All Terrain Walking to Rampage. Shared Cooldown with [R] Greater Rhino.

Hide contents

Basically return the old ultimate but make up for the amount of Crowd Control that exists in the game, to incentivise the initial ide behind the chains ultimate, of disrupting your opponents team and breaking apart their positioning. As usual Numbers are simply for display purposes.

[W] Might of the Herd (new addition): For every 100/90/80/70 Movementspeed of yours, you ignore 1 Physical Armour of any opponent (with both attacks and abilities).

Hide contents

Just a slight increase in the abilities very narrow and boring scaling, emphasizing on the heroes abilities of dealing Physical Damage and being a "Heavy Hitter".

Edited by merryhonmas

On 5/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, merryhonmas said:

1) halfed cooldown (or more), doubled max range (almost), exponentially increasing attackspeed, inheriting movement mechanics.... if this were a "choose one" thing, fine, but this is ridiculously broken, just way over the top, that is essentially three staff effects combined into one

Okay. Finally a guy has come in with a good brain. I agree that this is a little too much for an upgrade. But if I were to choose one, I would choose the build-up attack speed when grappling hook is engaged. I just want him to be a pain in the ass, not only at melee range because his only weakness is his ranged combat. 

2) this was too much chaos for me or i am too exhausted to comprehend, should I have misunderstood please excuse me, but to me this sounds like the initial Ravenor issue where he would just stack up his passive in the jungle and then melt everything and return to the jungle. except including additional creep value and set max movementspeed ontop of crit multiplier. if so then go figure...

That ain't gonna happen if the damage bar to be implemented has a 5000 damage requirement. Well if you decrease it, it may happen just as what you think so

3) basically a watered down version of Klanx's H.A.W.K? not sure the hero needs an additional tool that allows him to maneuver the map disregarding of obstacles, ontop of being one of the few only heroes that can nuke a support as easily with just one single item obtained (as it is now). I am simply not sure why the hero would require more maneuverability. Or is that something you only came up with ebcause the heroes basic idea is being a vampire with wings?

This is just an additional upgrade to his current SotM upgrade. So I was like giving some ridiculous stuffs to spice things up. 

4) i could get behind giving him more puddles or moving him out of that boring "be silenced + slowed so i can autoattack you for 4 seconds" corner but it's not a hero i identify with at all so i can barely give a proper oppinion on that. in my oppinion the hero itself is just plain boring and annoying, either complete lackluster or in rare cases very difficult to deal with, just generally not a good concept considering how much he relies on the maps properties to begin with.

Originally, it's like an All-terrain walking Riptide when on any water terrain. I'm sorry for not being clear enough  Through Undertow, he could make pathways that benefits his overall map control.

5) i would absolutely get behind Bubbels receiving a more useful staff effect, afterall the ult tether is still a major condition that has to be broken and unless i misremember, the staff only benefits the tether break stun, not the initial cast itself. but regardless compared to some other staffs out there, the hero could use SOME form of a more beneficial staff. personally I'd not give him a aoe superior tempest blast tho. Rather reduce the cooldown on his q, or have bubbels autocast Song of the Sea either after Teleporting to shellsurfs location OR when it expires without him teleporting to it (unless silenced or stunned!) so it does somewhat match valks staff (reduced damage and silence duration tho, obviously).

Doesn't your suggestion sound more broken than mine or Valk's? Two song of the seas on arrival is too OP while a Song of the Sea together with his Shell Surf is not well elaborated. How will it proc? When it touches the first enemy? Or at the end?

6) i am not sure i entirely understood that but having to return back into that sphere to have the ult removed seems something entirely unreasonable to expect from opponents. allowing her to cast her e in a aoe instead of singletarget would suffice completely due to its low cooldown and high kill potential. it wouldnt make for a great staff (not worth 4.2k) but could make for a decent enough boost (2.5k) as the slow is rather strong, not gonna lie, if used well!

7) i don't get your point here. why would you reduce his cast action time? the ability has way too much cooldown and if you want to push, getting thunderclaw will be so much more valuable instead combined with the insane early game autoattack damage buff you receive from killing creeps. increasing the amount of souls by 20 already is strong, tho again not worth 4.2k, rather 2.5k if you have gold to spare on someone else. would be much more profitable to ss to instead increase the -armor aura by a slight amount -OR- have the aura apply -armor matching your current attack type (phys/mag) accordingly.

Ok I get your point here. I was just not happy with the amount of gold you dedicated for just 20 souls. Toggling the ability to change the aura output is essential; making it passive is not balanced. But which looks more fine, mine, which decreases the cast action time of his Demon Hands that may promote an active gameplay style? or yours, which increases the armor reduction. That's passive and lazy Soulstealer

8 ) not gonna work, e is forgetting the stolen ability. would make for more hotkeys and the hero already requires decent macro and alot of activatable items if you wanna reach it's skill ceiling, adding another one will just add to the confusion, plus he does not really need it tbh. i dont see how that hazzle is gonna be compensated by the ability to lift one specific tree, ontop of that you are not able to select the tree you want to lift, but it is randomized among the most closest units (always choses closest unless several are at the same distance, then it seems to be random), so you gained nothing but added more annoyance and basically just gave a slight damage boost.

Yeah. He needs 1 more hotkey... I think if we limit the number of Q to one per use and reset it right after will make him a good annoying kinesis. A cooldown reduction is a must.

9) reviving at will is too powerful. allowing to revive within a 2 second window at will or as it runs out automatically is something that could be interesting as it does "somewhat" allow ra to play around "you died once you now are trapped" situations if he is solo. then again the ult already grants a second life sooo.... again tho and this is highly personal oppinion from the days i used to play RA alot, he doesnt need a nuke damage buff... in not a single situation.. his passive is the absolute lackluster when it comes to the regen it provides. that's where staff effects should add something. maybe double the regen and give a armor bonus that slightly increases with lost hp or whatever.

Reviving at will is never too powerful. If you want it 2s, then it's just almost the same as a regular ultimate. He needs that to be able to maximize his Ultimate's full potential at the best time you need it the most. I can disregard my nuke buff for his Ult, for giving him a health & mana regeneration when he receives no damage after rebirth.

10) that will just end up in volcanos being everywhere and fucking up movement and even area accessability.. too easy to abuse. however if he were able to place a primal volcano instead of a normal volcano by his chosing (subability!) that would remain dormant and allow draconis to return (flight) to it until he places another primal volcano somewhere else (which removes the first one), now THAt could make your suggestion interesting.

Isn't it stated that maximum of 1 Cataclysm volcano (primal) is allowed?

11)  by "last damage received" are you referring to a single damage tick, or an intervall? because thats a major difference. not sure thats what he needs tho but i have no real oppinion on that, i mostly ignore that hero since it is way too easy to counter in any single existing regard.

It will be good if he receives damage within the first second upon activation.

12) not sure how you intend on doing that, how do you control where it goes? after it attacked the target will it stand there like an idiot until you cast another spell? also you have that 0.1second (or less) gap inbetween the cast and the spawn of the illu. so as someone with not the worst perception, you should always be able to spot whether it is mirrage or true strike (i once brought this up as a "bug" a few years ago but was told that due to engine restrictions this could never be changed and even while reduced there would always be that noticeable delay, by elementuser himself). i do agree tho that nomad desperately needs a GOOD staff effect as the hero is actually fairly bad all facts considered.

It will continue to attack the target after dealing the initial attack, then you'll be able to control it or just let it attack continuously

13) not sure what your intend is here, do you want oogie to have two ults? or will it replace the initial ult? not sure a single hero exists that should receive a flat +100 attackspeed buff (are you even aware of the amount of attackspeed modification this provides you with, actually?)!

Only 1 Ult, but if you activate his Ult again, it will cost you your health (like an insane degeneration at the cost of Attack Speed or Tar quake no limit)

14) it should not look like a real warchief and being able to attack with it would just cause any decent player to camp somewhere and abuse the all terrain walking and free autoattacking for 6 seconds to deal damage while being hidden themselves. also this ability seems to cause alot of crashes that have not been resolved in the past anyway so maybe there should be a different staff target on that hero until that has been resolved (just some personal input here).

I guess 6s looks so overpowered. Then reduce it to 3s.

15) not sure why you chose to buff his w which was one of the more frustrating abilities that hero had (hence why it was nerfed). maybe improve his passive instead? 🙂

The boost is just the best way to allow it to happen again. It won't be as frustrating as much if you make the ability move slowly as a turtle

[...] more to come, have some other important things to attend too first, either today later or tomorrow.

keep in mind all of those are MY personal oppinions.

Yea. Thanks for correcting me. My intention is to spice things up in HON

Sorry for not following up on this anymore but i simply didn't find the motivation too.

The issue with most your suggestions is that Staff is not supposed to be ridiculous or strong per se.
It is supposed to either increase a heroes value and strength by a reasonable amount to allow the hero to further excel in its current niche, or to adapt an alternate playstyle that is not too far deviated from its original intend, to allow for a slightly different approach in teamfights.

Most your suggestions are just "make it stronger and bigger and better" or "give it this because i like it better that way".

As I said not all of them are bad they are just not... well chosen for the most part or (as it would seem) alot of them are some of the heroes that already are on the stronger side and that you seem to like personally so you want them to be even stronger than they already are.^^

Blitz:  passively remove cast animation from all abilities and gives slow immunity

Toxicity breeds toxicity.  Break the cycle.

4 hours ago, MacroHard said:

Blitz:  passively remove cast animation from all abilities and gives slow immunity

Or:
Make Quicken apply to yourself + 1 additional allied hero in range in Addition to the effect he has now. Sounds OP, but it's kinda like Revenents Staff then.