Do you want to report people for chat abuse over the microphone? Check this out!

Hello everyone.
Because of the recent thread made by ElementUser on how to report, in which he talks about how to make a good report, I thought I would spare him of typing more on the forums and show everyone really quickly how you can report someone, who is being abusive on the microphone. 

It's a common misconception, that you are "safe" as long as you are using the microphone, because voice chat isn't being recorded. It is not being recorded by the game. We, the players, have to record it ourselves. The more people doing that the more people will face consequences for theirs actions. Here is a step by step guide, in short, how you can do that successfully: 

1. Install OBS.
Go to https://obsproject.com/ and download the software for whichever operation system you have. 

2. Set up OBS.
When you open the program you see something that is pretty empty. At the bottom there are several boxes. One of them in called Sources. 
Click the + sign in the Sources box to add sources. You need to add your screen and some kind of speaker, so you can record audio as well as video.
After the plus there's a dropdown menu. The revelant sources you need to add have a Screen as an icon and a Speaker as an icon. Add those two. 

3. Press start recording.
In the bottom right corner you have several buttons. One of them is Start Recording. Press that and now OBS is recording your screen.
When you are done recording you press Stop and it saves the video in a relevant folder on your PC. 

4. Report them!
If you managed to record someone being abusive on the microphone (Doing something you would report them for as if it were in the chat) you should go to
https://rap.heroesofnewerth.com/
Log in and create a new ticket and then you will have to edit and upload (depending on the size of the clip) it to something like https://imgur.com/upload
And then put the link into the RAP ticket you create. 

Remember to read ElementUser's thread before making a report. 

I know a lot you might know this already but I figured some of you probably didn't. In any case, for both of those groups, if you feel it's unfair that people call you names and are racist or abusive on their microphone you now have a super quick and easy guide on how to get rid of those players for good! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me here or in-game. I am always here to help. 

Kind regards
Thessaloniki

This method of banning people is honestly outrageous. Let me outline a simple method of manufacturing a fake clip of someone saying something like a racial slur. You'd mute the VOIP slider in the HoN settings. When somebody is speaking, any UI icons would still light up. Then you just play a rule breaking voice clip over the recorded video where the victim is not saying anything offensive, then record over it with OBS again.

You could literally get anyone banned with this method because there are no means of verifying the authenticity of your audio against anything. The mods can only check that your recorded clip matches against the timestamp of the replay, but they can't hear what was spoken over the Voice Chat. And that's just something any dummy could do, but even better editing could be employed with actual video editing tools.

Why allow anyone with more than two brain cells to permanently ban whomever they find displeasing? Please tell me the mods don't blindly trust unverified audio recordings that anyone can fabricate. Bans should NEVER be dispensed over something someone could just edit in and pretend it actually happened.

Edited by twoscoopsREE

37 minutes ago, twoscoopsREE said:

This method of banning people is honestly outrageous. Let me outline a simple method of manufacturing a fake clip of someone saying something like a racial slur. You'd mute the VOIP slider in the HoN settings. When somebody is speaking, any UI icons would still light up. Then you just play a rule breaking voice clip over the recorded video where the victim is not saying anything offensive, then record over it with OBS again.

You could literally get anyone banned with this method because there are no means of verifying the authenticity of your audio against anything. The mods can only check that your recorded clip matches against the timestamp of the replay, but they can't hear what was spoken over the Voice Chat. And that's just something any dummy could do, but even better editing could be employed with actual video editing tools.

Why allow anyone with more than two brain cells to permanently ban whomever they find displeasing? Please tell me the mods don't blindly trust unverified audio recordings that anyone can fabricate. Bans should NEVER be dispensed over something someone could just edit in and pretend it actually happened.

At that point, if you're asking all those questions, you should just stream on Twitch since VODs can't be edited. 

The user's RAP history or RAP record will help determine if the voice clip was fabricated or tampered with.

I will also add that it's difficult to fully fake those audio clips. Whenever someone else speaks over VOIP, the HoN in-game background music and sound effects still play. Most users don't turn both of these off completely, and it's difficult to completely keep those background noises while only selectively blocking out what someone is saying if they are actually turning on their mic and saying something that is perfectly fine & then overwriting just their speech with your fake clip, while ALSO keeping the natural HoN background audio there unscathed. So you are wrong there.

Edited by ElementUser
52 minutes ago, ElementUser said:

I will also add that it's difficult to fully fake those audio clips. Whenever someone else speaks over VOIP, the HoN in-game background music and sound effects still play. Most users don't turn both of these off completely, and it's difficult to completely keep those background noises while only selectively blocking out what someone is saying if they are actually turning on their mic and saying something that is perfectly fine & then overwriting just their speech with your fake clip, while ALSO keeping the natural HoN background audio there unscathed. So you are wrong there.

I believe what I described should be perfectly easy & doable if you lower Voice Chat/Shoutcaster Volume to like 5 or something inaudible. Once you've recorded somebody using the microphone except JUST THEIR voice can't be heard in the video, you then record that video playing in a media player with OBS, and then play an offending audio clip in the background in winamp, foobar whatever. I don't see how you guys would have a way to verify such a clip as authentic or not, and I don't see how the RAP history helps with this exploitable process. What might effectively happen is you see the UI light up, a clip of a n-word being spoken, and you'd assume it's the real thing because nobody's going to scrutinize that video in audacity or something.

Edited by twoscoopsREE

twoscoopsREE, you are most likely forgetting the biggest part of the report which cant be altered in any way and that is reaction from other party members. Since we are living in "overcorrect" world now, do you realy think no one of your team will comment on that "player xy is spouting racial slurts over microphone"?

Ceriss, entirely possible. Many players don't use voice comms at all. The criteria is only what can be heard, not how others comment on it. As I said before, re-recording a video with OBS couldn't be simpler, so this process leaves massive surface for exploitation. The GMs won't care how long the clip is, so a 5 second video with altered audio could get you a permaban.

Edited by twoscoopsREE