HoN LAN Distribution

Hello everyone,

After getting over the shock that HoN is closing, I basically started looking for solutions to keep playing it with friends. So I started rummaging through my HDD backups.

Not before long, I managed to dig up the LAN variants of HoN which I used for in-house lan parties dating back 10-12 years ago (V1.3/1.4)  

I've already started distributing them to my private discord groups, but I would like to share them with everyone who is interested.

So my question is this:

- Does anyone know if I am allowed to post a link and share these HoN LAN variants here on the forums?

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheEngineer_ said:

- Does anyone know if I am allowed to post a link and share these HoN LAN variants here on the forums?

I don't know for certain.
Usually someone will tell you to not do it before anything bad is going to happen 😉.

Of course that's only if those files are the original files. If you add any malware, that's certainly not accepted:

On 4/16/2020 at 11:20 PM, Stormeren said:

Hacks, Exploits, & Malicious Programs (3 points)

• Description: The use and promotion of hacks, exploits, and malicious software of any kind is strictly forbidden. Mentioning names, posting screenshots, or linking to any such material is considered prohibited. Prohibited actions include:
    • Using or distributing "auto" software programs or "macro" software programs or other cheat utilities, programs or scripts.
    • Modifying copyrighted binaries (for any purpose).
    • Uploading any software or content that you do not own or have permission to freely distribute.
    • Promoting or encouraging any illegal activity including hacking, cracking or distribution of counterfeit software.
    • Posting, transmitting, promoting, or distributing content that is illegal.
    • Uploading a file that contains a virus or malicious data.
  • Forum Rule: The use or promotion of any of the above-mentioned software such as hacks, exploits, or malicious software will result in permanent forum ban and loss of in-game play privileges.

You might hit a grey area with the "Uploading any software or contant that you do not own or have permission to freely distribute" rule however.
But I would read this rule as "upload it to the forums" and not link to it from the forums 😉.

In addition to that, you are not allowed to link to content which is illegal (point 5) and this might get more tricky. According to the TOS of HoN:
> The Game is distributed solely for use by authorized end users according to the provisions of this TOS. Any use, reproduction, modification or distribution of the Game not expressly authorized by the terms of the TOS, or without the prior written consent of Frostburn, is expressly prohibited.

So a copy of the (old) game client would be prohibited and therefor illegal. And linking to illegal stuff is prohibited on these forums.

Anyways, I'm not sure what the TOS were back then. I assume that S2 would have been the ones to allow you to distribute it, and Idk what legally has happened with that now that S2 is out. I guess you could contact a lawyer 😄 (or look for a different, theoretical page (lets name it reddit) where you are less likely to get your post deleted) 😉.

Thank you for your great answer, Manu311. It really helped.

This topic felt like treading on thin ice from the start.

Even though these variants are old, and were only modified to enjoy the game while offline, common sense tells me no studio or company would normally agree to this.

Regardless of what S2's ToS were.

I will stay on the safe side, and not upload or link anything here.

Thanks again for your support!

16 minutes ago, TheEngineer_ said:

Even though these variants are old, and were only modified to enjoy the game while offline, common sense tells me no studio or company would normally agree to this.

I don't think you needed to modify them. Lan mode was a thing back then.

And FB and GG don't really loose anything if you host/share those. But since its still against their tos, it's probably best to be careful about it.

4 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

I don't think you needed to modify them. Lan mode was a thing back then.

And FB and GG don't really loose anything if you host/share those. But since its still against their tos, it's probably best to be careful about it.

IIRC, you needed to have an internet connection and/or login.  At least in 2010, I remember I had to look for workarounds to host a lan party. It's how I found them.

Ah, these variants are not mine. If Sordit rings a bell.. 😋

I wished I knew how to mod games, tho. 😄

2 hours ago, TheEngineer_ said:

IIRC, you needed to have an internet connection and/or login.  At least in 2010, I remember I had to look for workarounds to host a lan party. It's how I found them.

Console commands should have helped I guess 😄 .

• Thanks 1