Why HoN failed? Did it even failed?

Game is gonna close but... there is all:

- Nice and worked alt avatars.
- Servers run smoothly and constantly.
- Midwars queue is less than 5 minutes.
(Only mode i play daily)
- Active Forums where people is nice and active.
- Heroes and Items are balanced.
- Nice development
- Announcers and miscellaneous are originals and better than other games.

and most important the game is entertaining and intuitive.
The game has been able to maintain itself for more than 10 years. Why it's gonna close? Where did it fail? Why there are fewer people than in other MOBA games? It even started earlier than other MOBA's... Midwars is a really etertaining game, it's a small map, a lot of fun and it doesn't last long, i don't know how i will spend my time when it's gone...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, genesisawm said:

The game has been able to maintain itself for more than 10 years. Why it's gonna close? Where did it fail? Why there are fewer people than in other MOBA games? It even started earlier than other MOBA's

There are a bunch of reasons why HoN had less players than other mobas. I'm not gonna name them all, because I will miss some and might overrate others. However 4.0 was a big one.

Afaik the other mobas are loosing players as well and have been over the last couple of years. The only difference is, they rarely made those mistakes and had bigger player bases in the first place (because of better marketing probably).
They might still continue for a couple of years but they will probably close eventually. Games that require managed servers and do not take subscription fees, will eventually run out of income.

HoN failed because it attracted the people with lower income that could not provide enough money to support the game

They also has bad management

Edited by Vrils
7 hours ago, genesisawm said:

Game is gonna close but... there is all:

- Nice and worked alt avatars.
- Servers run smoothly and constantly.
- Midwars queue is less than 5 minutes.
(Only mode i play daily)
- Active Forums where people is nice and active.
- Heroes and Items are balanced.
- Nice development
- Announcers and miscellaneous are originals and better than other games.

and most important the game is entertaining and intuitive.
The game has been able to maintain itself for more than 10 years. Why it's gonna close? Where did it fail? Why there are fewer people than in other MOBA games? It even started earlier than other MOBA's... Midwars is a really etertaining game, it's a small map, a lot of fun and it doesn't last long, i don't know how i will spend my time when it's gone...

You are right. I love this game. Hope they can fix something after the shutdown. Lan support or something so we can still play with friends. (But i doubt that.)

Edited by Wife

HoN was quite good over a long period of time. As already mentioned, other mobas are losing players more and more as well. Even Dota2 is struggling, especially after the recent decision to cancel the next major. The pro scene is enraged and the word "dying" is used quite frequently. Surely it will not die anytime soon but as soon as the pro scene moves on, it's just a matter of time. Basically this happened to HoN as well. I remember when zlapped was like the last "pro" streaming and providing content as the rest already moved on. It's bad decisions that were done by Garena mainly - but that's just my opinion

The moment something better than dota 2 comes up, dota 2 will start its maintenance mode. 

It happened with all games, StarCraft 1, Warcraft 1 > 2 > 3, Diablo 1 > 2 then 3 was a trainwreck so 3 never replaced 2, only temporarily ( Path of Exile did replace it in the end ) - now there's Diablo 4 vs PoE 2 that will prob split the userbase.

What I'm trying to say is - it's just the nature of the world, old gets either revamped or replaced with the new.

In HoN's case, it was revamped for quite a long while until now unfortunately it's getting replaced.

Idk if you can consider it fail, because imo HoN has been in a position of sort of a sui laner vs a duo short + midlane ganks. (from my subjective personal view) I think it did quite well considering the situation and what it had. Good and bad decisions happen in any game, but they're less felt financially and structurally if you have a huge playerbase and no competition. Look at what's happening to World of Warcraft's playerbase right now, along with the recent Blizzard scandal - as an example.

Dota 2, LoL, CS:GO, Overwatch, all of those and others have a limited shelf life, some 5 years, some 10, some 30, some 50, but it all comes to an end at one point.

I think one of the reasons people are upset is not that HoN is closing, but rather that it's closing earlier than expected, with no obvious "successor" (like HoN 2 or something like that) 

Edited by Lunarios
  • Like 1

My 2 cents why it failed, I think I have like 6k hours on my account, when I stopped playing in 2018-2019 I guess, joined in beta, what killed it for me, was constant pandering to whiners how something is broken and bothering them, then removing that functionality and ultimate nail, new map (2 kongor) biggest fail for me, no thank you.