A couple of questions from an old noob

Hey guys

So as everyone else Im confused and sad and perplexed over the recent news. I dont know anything about coding or game design so please excuse me if this is a dumb ass question but:

- What is stopping someone from putting up private servers after shutdown? 

- Is there code/info that will be lost after the shutdown that somehow dont already exist in the game folders? 

- Why is a privately maintained HON not realistic? 

I understand Garena is shutting down HON but I still don't understand what that means technically. Apart from it being illegal, whats stopping someone who's dedicated and who's got the time and the know-how from saving us all? I dont care if there's no new patches. I dont care if there's no new skins. I just wanna keep playing. Forever. 

Kewmeister

2 hours ago, Kewmeister said:

Hey guys

So as everyone else Im confused and sad and perplexed over the recent news. I dont know anything about coding or game design so please excuse me if this is a dumb ass question but:

- What is stopping someone from putting up private servers after shutdown? 

- Is there code/info that will be lost after the shutdown that somehow dont already exist in the game folders? 

- Why is a privately maintained HON not realistic? 

I understand Garena is shutting down HON but I still don't understand what that means technically. Apart from it being illegal, whats stopping someone who's dedicated and who's got the time and the know-how from saving us all? I dont care if there's no new patches. I dont care if there's no new skins. I just wanna keep playing. Forever. 

Kewmeister

Hi,

most of HoN is actually available and open source. It's still property of Garena, but everyone has those files in their game-folders.
However in general: We have no game-servers. We don't really know what is running on HoN-servers, there are some chat-servers, matchmaking, stat-servers and game-servers. We can just see how our HoN client interacts with those.
However, the game-client we have, also contains some part of the server-code, since we can play Bot-matches and Practice games without involving other servers. Someone on these forums also mentioned, that there are commands to run the client in some server-mode which does something we don't know. Also our clients do not want to actually connect to that - which might be an issue with the "server-mode" or just the clients not joining unofficial servers.

As for the code of the actual client, there is some code which is not open sourced. And it's more or less the core of the game. So everything of lower level (like graphics card access, network communication, etc) isn't known to the public.

In addition to these code-bases, there of course are also data-servers which include player-data, match-stats, etc. Those will be lost as well.

I don't know about it being unrealistic for there to be a privately hosted HoN in the future. I assume you just have to do some fiddling with the current client and get a working server and client out of it.
A lot of years back, there was also official Lan-support in HoN, so if someone digs out that old version, he can probably play on that as well.

Edited by Manu311
21 hours ago, Manu311 said:

I don't know about it being unrealistic for there to be a privately hosted HoN in the future. I assume you just have to do some fiddling with the current client and get a working server and client out of it.
A lot of years back, there was also official Lan-support in HoN, so if someone digs out that old version, he can probably play on that as well.

Where can we find the old version ? We dont have lan-support on latest HoN client so we can play on private hosted server?

Somehow we should be able to play on public servers after June 20nd...

Edited by Wife
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, c1own`h4rd said:

Personaly I'd play the version of hon with prisoner as the last new hero. CLASSIC good old map, classic gothic main menu and everything that once was all perfect about this legendary game.

Wich year is that ? So you dont update the game with patches ? Which heroes are u missing? 

Edited by Wife
On 1/21/2022 at 6:14 PM, Wife said:

Wich year is that ? So you dont update the game with patches ? Which heroes are u missing? 

20th march 2013 was the spotlight of him. The game run well at that time and everyone was happy with it. The map was original, Kongor was in his pit, and we had multi curriers already as I remember.