@Linux Enthusiasts: Would anyone be interested in an ARM64 version of HoN?

Hey there!

This post is more directed at computer nerds who like to tinker, so this may be alien language to most players.

With HoN coming to an end, I'd like to do some fun things for the community that I've always wanted to do, things like adding the ability to do 10 VS 10 and other wacky things like ports to strange systems.

There are some linux devices out there that are not x86_64 such as:

• raspberry pi
  • nintendo switch (L4T Ubuntu)
  • macbook m1 with arm64 ubuntu linux because you have way too much free time
  • chromebooks

I think it would be fun to see HoN natively ported to it, although there's not much point I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who'd love this kind of thing!

Let me know, thanks!

• Like 1

I actually tried to install HoN on my phone 😁. But eventually realized that I'm unable to get accelerated graphics on X and no opengl means no HoN 😞.
Edit: I noticed I should probably mention how I was trying to do this 😅https://github.com/ptitSeb/box64 

I don't have an raspberry pi 4 (or any other device you listed) and I assume the rpi 3 isn't enough - but I certainly would love to try to run HoN on it 😄.

Edited by Manu311

I hope u also mean PC. I use linux mint and I've been running HoN through Lutris.

I won't be able to be one of your testers. But If a 100% linux version of HoN means even more performance, I vote for it!

Edited by CuysauruS
3 hours ago, CuysauruS said:

I won't be able to be one of your testers. But If a 100% linux version of HoN means even more performance, I vote for it!

We already have a 100% linux version, it just isn't officially supported anymore. But it still works just fine and (thanks to me) you can even install it via package managers (that support flatpak).
Idk about performance compared to win64 via wine, but it's pretty solid as it has always been.
An official linux version now wouldn't really matter since there won't be (many) patches left which could fix suddenly appearing bugs.

I'm still playing it in Linux(CentOS stream). I believe it's actually better than windows, as  I can run the game at 4K without any problems while I had a lot of issues like curser and some other in windows. I jut don't get why you want to put effort running it over ARM64 while the game will close soon.

4 minutes ago, KavehAhangar said:

I jut don't get why you want to put effort running it over ARM64 while the game will close soon.

I guess primarily "for fun".

People have also "installed" (three dimensional) games on digital pregnancy tests!

What is arm64?

Do whatever you want, so we can keep play the game after shut down. 

Is it only for Linux? Nothing for pc, win?

Edited by Wife
5 hours ago, boronavirus said:

I would love to be able to play natively on my M1

That should already work afaik: 

As for this thread, whatever comes out of this thread (I assume) will most likely not even be announced as a beta 😉.

We have a test build that needs to be packaged up but it works!

If you're interested, please join the HoN64 discord here and post a message in the linux-arm64 section with what kind of device ( .. or emulator? QEMU etc ) you have and we'll drop a download link in there soon.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HyperXewl said:

please join the HoN64 discord here

I guess we need a new invitation 😇.

The old one is now invalid (and I'm not on that server, since I don't have neither Mac nor Windows 😛)