HoN vs Dota 2 vs LoL . HoN is best , but it shutting down ?

yeah its really sad to see such a great game die, i mean i have tried both lol and dota 2 and non of them gives the smooth gameplay that hon provides. it really is such a shame. if id have to guess where they went wrong with the game id say marketing. im not entirely sure what i mean by that either but it definitely had to with hon not being able to show off the game. for example lol keeps on making animated cut scenes to show case the game. they produce songs specifically for the game, and the huge tournaments the lol and dota hold each year keeps the community engaged.

It's really simple. You see, there is a direct correlation between easiness of something and number of people using/consuming it. This is the way this world works. For instance, while you might be trash while playing HoN, I'm sure that you will feel like above the average player in LOL. 

FB tried to use this in their favor. When they introduced patch 4.0 in HoN, regular and top HoN players died or almost died from cancer. Our beloved game tried to be as stupid as LOL. I myself saw a 1600 player in these brand new "Legendary" bracket. FB just created the same illusion as LOL did.

I do not know if this worked as intended.

Why a LOL player would want to play something that is similar to LOL? They already have LOL.

Why an HoN Player would like to play something that is similar to LOL? We do not like LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, CuysauruS said:

It's really simple. You see, there is a direct correlation between easiness of something and number of people using/consuming it. This is the way this world works. For instance, while you might be trash while playing HoN, I'm sure that you will feel like above the average player in LOL. 

FB tried to use this in their favor. When they introduced patch 4.0 in HoN, regular and top HoN players died or almost died from cancer. Our beloved game tried to be as stupid as LOL. I myself saw a 1600 player in these brand new "Legendary" bracket. FB just created the same illusion as LOL did.

Why a LOL player would want to play something that is similar to LOL? They already have LOL.

Why an HoN Player would like to play something that is similar to LOL? We do not like LOL.

I wouldn't say that that isthe definitive reason for HoN's ultimate failure, but I agree that it didn't do it any favors. HoN 4.0 was a major step in the wrong direction IMO.

22 hours ago, CuysauruS said:

Well said, most immortal players over the last 3 years were around 1600-1700 level yes. Red is the new gold.

I have always been in impression that HoN died once Dota 2 came out, all pro players moved to dota 2 and rest of the player base followed them. Feels stupid to even say this but maybe its just because its Dota by name? If HoN was called Dota instead would it have the amount of players Dota has now? 😄

1 hour ago, daremetojump said:

If HoN was called Dota instead would it have the amount of players Dota has now? 😄

Probably not. But it would have certainly made a difference.
However iirc Valve had gone to court with Blizzard, because Blizzard said they own the name. Idk if S2 could have done that.

1 hour ago, Manu311 said:

Probably not. But it would have certainly made a difference.
However iirc Valve had gone to court with Blizzard, because Blizzard said they own the name. Idk if S2 could have done that.

Yeah maybe so, but did Blizzard really own the name though, because Dota was fan project made by Icefrog. But then again i dont know whole lot about it, all i know its a shame HoN is coming to an end and it didnt see the success it should have deserved #feelsbadman

41 minutes ago, daremetojump said:

Yeah maybe so, but did Blizzard really own the name though, because Dota was fan project made by Icefrog. But then again i dont know whole lot about it, all i know its a shame HoN is coming to an end and it didnt see the success it should have deserved #feelsbadman

Blizzard did go to Court about this copyrights claim over the name Dota with Valve. Blizzard lost. Apparently, Blizzard did not respond in time, or they were sleeping when someone else took of with his map from Warcraft III and offered it to another company. Blizzard just watched passively, and now apparently they dont own the rights over the name Dota Allstars.....

I don't know what about a Dota3 ehhhh, Im hoping that Blizzard will take over again and take control back. But I am not sure. Maybe someone knows more about it, but even if so theres no Dota3 announced and Dota2 sucks so, it is what it is apparently. 

I can't imagine or think that per June, 2022, we can just not log into HoN anymore. It will simply be shut down....that doesnt make any sense to me at all. I mean Dota 1 is still playable, Counter-Strike 1.6 is still playable, why should HoN be "shut down". I dont see what the purpose of this would serve. They could stop paying for servers, if that would be their only reason. But shutting the game down completely would be downright stupid and a very unwise decision. Aside from that I would totally disagree with them if they would really do that. Just doesnt make any sense. Also Garena has not made a single statement about HoN so I think HoN will just continue....if Garena truly wants to shut down its future plans with HoN, they can just as well release the game client and make it Open Source, so the community can take over, because what purpose would it be to just "close a game" and throw it away? It would serve nobodies interest.

Nobody wins or would make any profit or credit from doing so, so I dont think it will happen.....Maybe I'm in denial but, it would make 0,000 sense. To nobody, not even to Garena themselves. I dont know this company too well, I know barely anything about them. They are based in Asia and focused on the Asian Market, not on USA or Europe so, I dont know.....

Blizzard has been taking some serious losses in the past years, and closed several offices worldwide. Thats what I KNOW that happened, as it was in the News (not fake news). It seems that Blizzard is depending now on Hearthstone and WoW.

They have made remastered versions of Warcraft III and Starcraft, which have been not a success. From what I've seen, it hasn't been picked up massively. This means that people don't play RTS-genres anymore, and also Blizzard has a moba which is called Heroes of the Storm.....I can't tell you any more. Yeah, well Starcraft 2 is still being played by quite a group but, again I never really loved Starcraft 2...only played it a while and it is pretty ok but not on the level of Starcraft 1.

Edited by DutchPleb87
1 hour ago, daremetojump said:

Yeah maybe so, but did Blizzard really own the name though, because Dota was fan project made by Icefrog

Blizzard has somewhere in their TOS (I guess) that everything you create on their platforms (which includes maps) becomes their property. So even though Icefrog, Guinsoo and Eul created those maps, it was still inside Blizzard games, so they assumed the ownership.

50 minutes ago, DutchPleb87 said:

that doesnt make any sense to me at all. I mean Dota 1 is still playable, Counter-Strike 1.6 is still playable, why should HoN be "shut down". I dont see what the purpose of this would serve. They could stop paying for servers, if that would be their only reason.

DotA 1 and CS were always playable offline and on self-hosted servers. HoN wasn't.
Also those games didn't make money from people playing on their official servers, so it made sense for them to be publicly hostable.

I assume Garena wouldn't loose anything if they would re-enable Lan-mode into HoN when they shut down the servers (and I assume the current staff would be more to happy to develop that 😉). But they probably won't do it, since they would rather have people switch to their other games and spend money on those instead of playing a game they make no money with.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Manu311 said:

assume Garena wouldn't loose anything if they would re-enable Lan-mode into HoN when they shut down the servers (and I assume the current staff would be more to happy to develop that 😉). But they probably won't do it, since they would rather have people switch to their other games and spend money on those instead of playing a game they make no money with.

I assume we can keep our EU/NA client open then, I have yet to see Asian (not Russians) but people from SEA-region to play Hon on EU servers....there have been some I know but majority of EU/NA client are obviously American, European and Russian audiences. So this doesn't affect their market or platform in any way to keep the EU/NA client open for us....its already a different client anyways.....

Haven't seen a statement from Garena either about what this exactly means, does it mean we can no longer log into HoN? I mean that would be odd.

Garena would have to make a statement regarding this, or is it me? We have been in this game for 10+ years, and most of their income probably generated by EU/NA population. They don't communicate anything to us regarding HoN?

Edited by DutchPleb87

I played 1500+ hours on each of these three, and I can say that, for me, HoN is by far the best. The shortest answer why it is shutting down is - It was made to be paid, at the peak of MOBA genre and the other two were free. Then, after that, it never reached the same level and was too late to recover. Poor decisions led to the downfall of the greatest MOBA. Sadly, after it shuts down, I will just stop playing MOBA's, because the other two are not worth it.

• Like 1

Don't kid yourselves with skill related discussions. HON aired on the market as a 30$ game, at the same time, LOL aired as "F2P". Guess what, the vast majority of players chose LOL instead of HON, and that was the start of its demise, being the clear superior.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:14 AM, CuysauruS said:

FB tried to use this in their favor. When they introduced patch 4.0 in HoN, regular and top HoN players died or almost died from cancer.

+1000, I switched from regular to mid war after this terrible patch.

• Like 2