Magebane Rework in 4.10.0.1

Really like the changes made to Magebane, he was definitely underwhelming after the rework.

His flash of anti-magic really needed the shorter cooldown, however I think with the reduced mana cost, he is a bit too efficient in the early levels. Before the buffs, he had to pay 75 mana to teleport in the early game, while now it's 60 mana already at lvl 1, pushing the idea of "1-point wonders" a bit too much in my opinion. It's not common for strength heroes to not have any issues with mana magement in the early game. I'd like to see the mana cost reduction buff fully reverted, and not have the mana cost scale down with further levels.

His role could be pretty much compared to Devourer, who is also better against magic damage than normal heroes. If we look at Devourer, he does not offer any mana efficient abilties in the early game (even decay costs him health) AND also he is much more vulnerable to physical damage than Magebane thanks to the starting armor buff. In my opinion, the starting armor / physical damage mitigation in the early game should be on the same level with devourer, as Magebane is no longer an agility hero. If we look at the other strength heroes with similiar roles, then we can see that they also tend to have not more than 2 starting armor. I think it would be a healthy change if the starting armor of Magebane was toned down from 2.5 to 2.0 to fit the "strength hero theme" a bit more.

Apart from the early game, I think the hero is in a healthy position.

He's supposed to do that - his shortcoming is that he's not scaling as well as a real carry. He can use some nerfs in an upcoming patch for Christmas map revert, but they won't be big & will be targeted at his scaling.

I had to bring some amount of scaling back because of higher level players' feedback & couldn't risk him being in the 40% win rate region for too long. Had to call for the patch to happen when it did to ensure that he continues to be played after his rework. 

For all intents and purposes, it was a successful rework. 

Edited by ElementUser

With one or two tank items he is practically unkillable, especially if he gets his blink off to initiate a team fight, the slow from his blink means you HAVE to fight back against him (unless ofcourse you have a blink hero and even then you can be run down while affected by the slow) and the magic damage mitigation means unless you have a heavy physical damage dealing hero, even if you have a lot magic damage output he will be able to blink back out after 6 seconds.

I'm not sure what needs nerfing but the combination of buffs that he got mean that with very little effort the hero becomes almost unkillable.

• 4 weeks later...