Help Open HoN!

Hi Hon  Community!
Who am i you may ask? I'm a literal who on the internet, so you probably don't care about me, but i know you care about the game that's the whole reason you're reading this. 
I want to strike while the irons still hot and move quickly with the community to help preserve this game you all love.
Now that this game has been announced as approaching an "end of life" as many GAAS sadly do, there are things we can do, but i need your help!

What i want to propose is very simple, the community needs to rally together and petition the current rights holders (Garena) to release HoN's Client-side and server-side source code/repository under a "GNU GPL" License.

The ideal situation for both parties is that the license have a similar status to that of the Classic DOOM game's. In the sense that the intellectual property of Heroes of Newerth and the Asset's ownership are maintained by Garena, With the source code to the game and server hosting being openly available to the public. this means that the community  "have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software." While Garena maintains the ownership of Hon's IP and can make future games set in HoN's IP if they so choose.

I understand completely this is a lengthy and difficult proposition to make, especially with Garena, so i'll outline some other things that need to be done.

• The community needs to put together a petition (likely under something like change.org) to get Garena to make this decision, and explaining the benefits of doing so, how it will greatly increase their public reputation, support a longstanding community of customers who would continue to purchase and play Garena Products, as well as the minimal amount of work this decision requires (an hour to a single day at most.)
  • The Community needs to reach out to many different content creators and individuals who can increase the awareness of this campaign to other members of the wider gaming community.
  • A Collective email needs to be sent out towards Garena/the head of the proper authority behind it, communally written by the community to create a personal petition, and channels of communication should be opened up to explain and discuss.

I hope that we can fix this while we can while the iron is still hot, and the channels can still be opened!

• Like 4

How can I participate in this initiation?

Who will create this initiative to find the necessary funds for HON? I am willing to do and promote HON so that I can save hon, even donate if necessary.

Edited by xlemyx
12 minutes ago, xlemyx said:

How can I participate in this initiation?

Who will create this initiative to find the necessary funds for HON? I am willing to do and promote HON so that I can save hon, even donate if necessary.

I don't think monetarily anything is required for a GPL licensing. it really is more getting the community together to petition and ask Garena to do this, and to explain why we want them to and what benefits they get from open sourcing the game. i'm going to try contacting some people and getting a change.org petition set up soon. the best the community can do is get talking, let other people know about this and make sure people are polite and respectful with Garena.

1 minute ago, Ladonien said:

If it was S2 Games that had kept HoN till now, they would have probably open sourced it referring to what they did in the past with Savage.

i would love if HoN was open sourced in the same way as Savage was, that's why i am hoping to rally the community and push while the iron is still hot.

3 minutes ago, someschmuck said:

i would love if HoN was open sourced in the same way as Savage was, that's why i am hoping to rally the community and push while the iron is still hot.

This was the thing I was worried about when HoN got bought from S2 Games. It goes in the typical "non-free software trap" where they just shut it down when it does not gain enough money and no one can do anything to preserve the game.