Bring back the fun for MW

After playing HoN for around 10+ years MW has come to an alltime low in terms of fun. The new mode called balanced random is everything besides balanced. I had dozens of games where one team has a hooker, the other has not. That alone is just not balanced. Second scenario is my team not having a tank/healer, the other team does. One of my mates repicks into a gemini or night hound. Pretty balanced.

I'm not writing this to just rant. In my book if you have a complaint, bring solutions to the table only that will make you a viable discussion partner.

So here are my three solutions to bring fun back into MW:

1. Remove the MMR Rating Display while in the hero selection mode. There is absolutely no benefit in showing that. Actually there are only negative sideffects. People measuring your Gameplay skill before the game has even started by that number. As i said, if you happen to be in a team that is not balanced, you can play as good and skillful as you want, the chance of winning is abissmal low.
  2. Bring back Duplicate heros. Make it so, that every team can have a max copy of one hero per team. No 5 TB vs 5 TB, but mirror matches can happen which are the only real test of skill.
  3. For balanced random, I would rework the hero roles entirely. A pharaoh is marked as a tank, but he has absolutely no skill to tank damage for his team whatsoever. With his current role for example, he is in the same pool as an Ichor which the forementioned is superior in tanking in every way.

Loving HoN since 2011 

Sn1ke

Can't really do any of those at this point unfortunately 😞 but I appreciate your opening statements.

Balanced Random means balancing your team comp in terms of roles - it doesn't mean anything about balancing each team vs the other. Balanced Random is meant to introduce variety to Mid Wars because Hero Ban & Single Draft have been the only modes for it for a very long time.

1) Can't remove MMR Rating Display, otherwise another vocal minority will spring up in an uproar. It has happened before when we tried to remove it.

2) Not feasible - why can a hero not just pick 5 TBs, 5 Artilleries, or 5 <insert whatever hero here>?

3) Can't do that. Hero roles are meant for FoC, and to be blunt, the overall roles do not actually change from FoC to Mid Wars. Think about it and you'll see that this is true.

Next patch though, all 3 options (Hero Ban, Single Draft and Balanced Random) will be available due to player feedback.

Balanced Random means balancing your team comp in terms of roles - it doesn't mean anything about balancing each team vs the other. Balanced Random is meant to introduce variety to Mid Wars because Hero Ban & Single Draft have been the only modes for it for a very long time.

Okay i get that. But as of right now, your goal that balanced random should fullfill doesn't work. As i said, if you happen to have only pharaoh as a strength hero, a tank is still missing in terms of roles. I can see now why the things aren't working. All this mode is bringing are very unbalanced games - hence no variety since the games last around 5 minutes most of the time and on top of that it adds frustration to the players which will likely influence their mood that will get taken in to the next games.

1) Can't remove MMR Rating Display, otherwise another vocal minority will spring up in an uproar. It has happened before when we tried to remove it.

For this point, you have to differentiate as a company. Let them complain if they don't bring valuable arguments to the table. To put it blunt, ignore them if they just rant.

2) Not feasible - why can a hero not just pick 5 TBs, 5 Artilleries, or 5 <insert whatever hero here>?

Well if you aren't against it, i would be happy to play some rounds of duplicate heros. That was for me at least really fun in MW.

3) Can't do that. Hero roles are meant for FoC, and to be blunt, the overall roles do not actually change from FoC to Mid Wars. Think about it and you'll see that this is true.

Okay with this answer you showed me why the things aren't working so well for MW. FoC and MW are very different and have their own meta. Copying the roles cannot and will never work.

Thanks for replying tho

Pharaoh is usually built tanky in both modes, as an example. Their role as a ganker and initiator remain the same between both modes, and so does their own item build. 

Are there heroes where their role in MW differ significantly than in FoC? I guarantee you it's not the role mechanics and selection that is the issue here. It's about each individual hero in MW. 

Edited by ElementUser

You have to look at the team aspect in MW. There are no additional lanes, which means, every hero that does AoE damage or can tank AoE damage or can heal AoE damage is preferably almost always the best choice.

Let's take Pharaoh as an example. He is very good in catching single heros off guard. That doesn't work very well in MW, because the rest of the team is in close range to help their mate out and pharaoh gets easily taken down if focused immediately. There are heros who are build for sticking in the middle of their team (almost always good for MW) and other heros who are better in soloing their enemies off. (only good in few scenarios)

Another example: Having demented shaman in the enemy team as the only healer in the game due to random picks, is an huge advantage compared to the team without a healer. To balance this, there has to be some sort of script that gives both team a healer/tank/initiator/dd in order to make them balanced. And if you do that, i think variety is still possible, because there aren't only one hero per class.

Additional note why multiple hero mode was so good, because you don't have to balance this mode. No one cared really, this was pure fun. You could try things in this mode, others couldn't provide due to their (logical) restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Would love a mirroed team gamemode. So its 5v5 with same heroes. This would be the real testiment of skill. 

Would also like that you get matched with people with the same skill level as yourself. I would rather wait 30 minutes in queue to get matched with people with same skill level as myself than play after 5 minuts a game of 15 minutes with absolute donkeys