That depends on the definition of cheats.

There are modifications for HoN, which switch out avatars, change the UI-design, allow you to automatically buy items, etc. Those are allowed and we have a subforum for those here: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/forum/10-modifications/

There are also modifications which are not allowed - I mainly know of the "zoom out mod". I never had that nor know whether it's a honmod or a completely separate process. However it is not allowed because it provides unfair advantages. There might be others like these, but Idk of any.

And last but not least, there apparently are programs which cause lag to the server. Of course these are not allowed either.

In general, I wouldn't call any of these "cheats". Cheats would be something that grants you gold or items out of thin air or make you invulnerable, and usually these don't happen in online-games.
However that's only true for publicly hosted servers, practice mode actually has a lot of "cheats", you even have an interface (Test++) for them, so you don't have to type them into the console (but you could 😉). Of course none of them work on public matches - at least not for us mere mortals. Some staff members could probably do that, but I'm pretty sure they don't do that (anymore) 🙂.