Where do i start to become a good player?

Hi there!

I'm new on HoN, i just played once a few years ago and i've come back.

I would like to know which knowledge and basics i have to know to become good in this game. How to know which strategy is the appropriate one, which build i should have on the game, what is efficient and what is not.

Any specific YouTube or Twitch channel, websites, articles?

Regards.

Edited by Rottweil

There's what_you_got educational videos on YouTube regarding some heroes. You can watch them to get a basic understanding of some let's say Jungle heroes as Wildsoul or Solstice - rotation orders, items, what to expect of the hero and what to look for with him.

Basic advices - don't try to win if you're alone vs 2 players in a lane, take what you can and don't die.

Some heroes are better than others at certain tasks - don't get stressed if you lose a lane, you can come back later (and there are many come-back mechanics).

There are many ways to play one hero, and many builds for one hero, you should pick the one you like best and the one you have the most fun with. The most efficient build for a hero may not be the build that you will certainly have fun with.

You should play a few heroes to understand your personal playstyle and what do you personally prefer. Do you enjoy action? Do you enjoy stealth and sneaking? Do you enjoy farming creeps, gaining items and becoming the most powerful hero in the game? Do you enjoy helping your team and making sure everyone have their comfortable space to perform well? 

The sooner you understand your personal preference, the sooner you can begin specializing and becoming good at what you like. 

• Like 1

It is worth noting that anything user Lunarios says should be taken with a grain of salt as he is known to troll 1800 brackets with his "unconventional" plays where he picks heroes he knows underperform in certain roles with complete disregard for the other people in his solo Q endeavours, or simply takes the opportunity to "learn" unconventional aspects of the hero at everyone else's expense. As he is also known to simply feed & ragequit matches, it is more than reasonable to assume that any advice he's dispensing may simply be subtle attempts at sabotaging you. Consider yourself warned.

Also - I forgot to add - do not be afraid if other people threaten you, grief you, say they will report you - it is your right as a player, especially as a new player, to enjoy the game the way you believe - and if someone else is giving you a hard time for you either being yourself or trying to learn something new - you have the ability to ignore them and cease further communication with them. Believe me - I have learned this on my skin many times - don't enter unproductive arguments with people, it will waste your time and may harm you in the process.

• Like 2

Friendly reminder "enjoying the game the way you believe" can not only be anti-social (high TMM players generally want to win, not watch someone throw their games through feigned stupidity), but also against the rules as any KD scout can attest to.

So, I'm sure you can see how insidious this person is. Given that his lack of imagination just made him advise a new player to potentially break the rules and get himself banned. It is absolutely not in your interest to earn yourself a suspension by "believing" that, for example, your way to express your gameplay happens to be dying as often as possible.

Anyone who believes functioning within the team is to ignore the rest of the team and do your own thing if met with criticism is not fit to give others advice, and that's Lunarios. A deluded, narcissistic griefer.

Hes providing constructive feedback while you spam the chat with your nonsense, i remember you, you act all mighty thinking you are right and everyone else is wrong, you are the very definition of a narcissist.

Edited by GiveUpBra

Play calm, don't get mad if other players are not doing what you expect them to do. Be versatile on picking phase - play the role that your team needs instead of insisting to play a role at the start of the game. If people are trolling, don't feed them but adjust your plays.

Most important: Don't blame other players. In 99% of the cases you die because of your mistakes, not because of anybody else. If you reflect your mistakes, you will get better.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lunarios said:

There's what_you_got educational videos on YouTube regarding some heroes. You can watch them to get a basic understanding of some let's say Jungle heroes as Wildsoul or Solstice - rotation orders, items, what to expect of the hero and what to look for with him.

Basic advices - don't try to win if you're alone vs 2 players in a lane, take what you can and don't die.

Some heroes are better than others at certain tasks - don't get stressed if you lose a lane, you can come back later (and there are many come-back mechanics).

There are many ways to play one hero, and many builds for one hero, you should pick the one you like best and the one you have the most fun with. The most efficient build for a hero may not be the build that you will certainly have fun with.

You should play a few heroes to understand your personal playstyle and what do you personally prefer. Do you enjoy action? Do you enjoy stealth and sneaking? Do you enjoy farming creeps, gaining items and becoming the most powerful hero in the game? Do you enjoy helping your team and making sure everyone have their comfortable space to perform well? 

The sooner you understand your personal preference, the sooner you can begin specializing and becoming good at what you like. 

Thank you! A very nice channel!

On 10/9/2021 at 11:14 AM, twoscoopsREE said:

It is worth noting that anything user Lunarios says should be taken with a grain of salt as he is known to troll 1800 brackets with his "unconventional" plays where he picks heroes he knows underperform in certain roles with complete disregard for the other people in his solo Q endeavours, or simply takes the opportunity to "learn" unconventional aspects of the hero at everyone else's expense. As he is also known to simply feed & ragequit matches, it is more than reasonable to assume that any advice he's dispensing may simply be subtle attempts at sabotaging you. Consider yourself warned.

I understand your point. It brought my attention the fact that here are not 5v5 Normal games (not ranked) on the big map (the one which has 3 lanes), like DOTA and LoL. I assume there is reason about why that mode is not available.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, twoscoopsREE said:

What is that? I looks and tastes like something. Oh nvm its salt. Plain old salt. You should cut back man. Take a break and when you do, eat something (not salt).