Thunderbringer rework

THUNDERBRINGER

CHAIN LIGHTNING - Hurls a bolt of lightning at target enemy that chains between the closest targets, dealing magic damage to each.
BLAST OF LIGHTNING - Deals magic damage to target enemy and causes a mini-stun. Grants clearvision and truesight around the target. Can be cast on the ground to emit a lightning pulse, affecting the closest enemy unit, with hero priority.
STATIC FIELD - Passively causes enemies to take bonus damage proportional to their current health for each spell hit. Damage reduced if enemies are outside of the radius.
LIGHTNING STORM - Thunderbringer strikes every enemy hero on the map with lightning, dealing damage and revealing the area around them briefly wherever they are. Besides, enemies hit are applied a tapering vision reduction.

STAFF UPGRADE - LIGHTNING STORM : After using Lightning Storm, Thunderbringer is granted a 4s window to cast delayed global lightning blasts, hitting all enemy units in the area and causing a slow. Damage is spread evenly over all enemies hit and a visual shows up where the lightning is about to strike. These blasts of lightning also grant clearvision and truesight around the target, and they have a 2s cooldown.

--

CHANGES :

- Ground targeting on W lets him hit enemies which hide uphill in the mid lane and find wards in a less clunky way.
- The vision reduction on R makes sense thematically and grants TB additional utility (which was removed from W).
- They also incentivize early casts not to waste the debuff effects instead of late kill steals.
- That bonus utility on R can be an opportunity to reduce his uncounterable global damage slightly so he's less obnoxious in pubs.
- Staff upgrade is a fun, rewarding, follow-up ability with soft crowd control which increases his global presence.

I voluntarily ignore most numbers in order to focus on the concept.

Additional note: Staff upgrade suggestions are designed to fit a cheaper SotM, with slightly weaker effects.

Edited by Haerdal

I think the suggested change on W is too strong so the mechanic should be similar to Bombardier's Q at deciding whether the ability hit or not to balance the change. 

The rest of the changes feel like nerf or over-buff depending on the numbers presented. 

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

Alternatively, visit this blog below to see the compiled version of the threads/posts I made on this Official HoN Forum:
newerthbrainstorm.blogspot.com

I envision ground targeting on W to hit the closest enemy hero which is really close to the strike point. I envision the radius slightly larger than Bombardier's Q. After all, it doesn't stun, nor deal damage in an AoE.

As for the passive, I want TB damage nerfed if he goes for a random R cast or burst global damage with a Restoration Stone. However, if the target has been initiated on by an ally, he has had vision over it, thus his damage should remain about identical.

Fair point. Still, current Thunderbringer's 2nd ability is better than Bomb's 1st ability if we look at cast range, cooldown, and anything technical. One noticeable thing that makes Thunderbringer wins even if those things equalized is the instant projectile of his abilities once it cast.

As for the passive change, it only complicates things. I believe the current one still does damage if Thunderbringer's enemies is far away but at reduced damage.

If anyone wonders about my intelligence regarding this game, then consider yourself visiting this thread:

Alternatively, visit this blog below to see the compiled version of the threads/posts I made on this Official HoN Forum:

Posted (edited)

Well, I don't know. The vision mechanic also has great synergy with my suggested staff upgrade (consecutive casts with vision granted by the initial ultimate) and also makes blind W casts to deal less damage but it might not be enough of a reason to make it more complex. 🤔

Edited by Haerdal
On 10/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, Haerdal said:

Well, I don't know. The vision mechanic also has great synergy with my suggested staff upgrade (consecutive casts with vision granted by the initial ultimate) and also makes blind W casts to deal less damage but it might not be enough of a reason to make it more complex. 🤔

Okay, I change my mind. I like the passive you propose. Still, I think this change requires visual asset to indicate the power of passive as the enemies get revealed.

I think your proposed passive has potential to have this issue: https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/topic/3369-emerald-warden-buff/

Hmm. It might not be as much of a problem in terms of overall feel since the spell initial damage ain't cut. It will still be a damage increase which simply ain't increased as much if you don't maintain vision.

Wasn't fully convinced about the wards vision reduction mechanic on W which felt gimmicky. I found another unique mechanic to grant TB additional utility : debuff resistance reduction.

Besides, after some thinking, I believe that the vision mechanic wouldn't work that well to gate R damage. This would reduce the Restoration stone + Staff build damage which is obnoxious in pubs but it doesn't alleviate other issues with the spells (counterplay against global burst damage + players bad habit to keep the spell for kill steals). Thus, I went for a different approach : stack utility on R and make it an opportunity to reduce its damage.

Edited by Haerdal