Toxic players and trolls, what is it like being a new player to HoN I wonder?

Hey guys, this post must have been made a thousand times by now but I thought I'd try and make a contribution or start a new discussion.  

Been playing HoN since it came out and it's always been me and my friends favourite game. It IS the best MOBA out there on the market without question however lately I've been trying to put myself in the shoes of new players entering HoN. It's gotta be absolutely terrifying.  

I'd like to share a small part of my somewhat recent journey ranking down to almost 1400mmr. I think I was at 1560 - 1600mmr when I ran into some really heavy losses which is nothing unusual and it happens from time to time.  The opponents were simply better. But once I got under 1500mmr things started getting... slightly annoying. The amount of toxic players and trolls below 1500mmr seems to be in my opinion endless. There's always that one dude not reading chat, picking w/e he or she wants and if that person doesn't get their way they refuse to participate in teamfights or just plain feed on purpose. Once I got under 1500mmr I started disconnecting out of pure frustatration because the games were so freaking bad which of course resulted in even lower mmr which made things worse. That's on me but I can imagine a lot of people doing the same thing and the cycle continues, all because of people not behaving correctly. Bad picks, bad attitude, I get the impression that so many play for themselves and not for their team in that rating. 

Now I know, just play and get a higher rating and it's true higher rated games are more enjoyable, of course. I managed to climb out of that pit of hell via premade games with friends. But I am not talking about myself, current players, veterans, but new ones. New players who don't have anyone to premade with who are in a sense "forced" to solo-que. Are there any type of statistics of new players creating accounts and actually staying? It's hard to obtain perhaps but would be interesting to know. I understand of course that many trolls and toxic people just create new accounts in order to get around being reported. 

How are we, as a community, supposed to get new players to join us and also keep them? This is the best game in the world and I want it to grow. 

I understand as well that every game has these problems it's just that in HoN it feels 1000x worse but perhaps thats also because I care so much about the game. Would it be possible to introduce some sort of feature that rewards the player for playing good, atleast in those lower brackets, for the new players? I'm just brainstorming of the top of my head but what if after the game is done, you can give people votes (like in csgo) such as *good teacher* / *good communication* etc and that player recieves some silver or a low-cost skin? 

Please make any suggestions you can and share your experiences, perhaps this is not as common as I would like to think it is. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Admin said I was the first to complain about smurfs doing the opposite, playing in a higher rank than they actually are. But from what you're saying and from what I've been seeing it's happening all the time! I keep seeing accounts with only a few games on them come in and troll. They've even got it down and figured out ways they can troll without being reported and banned. They'll flame the chat then teleport to someone elses lane and start pushing it, then they die and feed and do it all over again. 

I'm not sure if I have a solution but I think it was better how they did it before. You started out on bronze and worked your way up, now people can start a new account on a silver I pretty easily. They can probably do a better job in the AI that decides how far up or down their mmr goes when they start an account. If someone goes 3/20 in kills and deaths four games in a row, then put that person in bronze. And don't let them start a new account to get around it and do it all over again. I know these kinds of things take work, but that's what the game needs right now. 

MMR is lower than yours - noob
MMR is higher than yours - smurf
Reacts to trolling - toxic
Does not respond to trolling - does not understand the language
Writes in a broken language (even if it is clearly Spanish) - Russian
Few Kills - Noob
Many kills - smurf
No avatar - beggar
There is an avatar - donater
Only with those who take Devo is always a good person, because he has an excellent balance and not at all annoying gameplay, besides, it is easy to play on him and it is easy to gain any rating.

Never heard anyone say beggar in the game in my 10 years to anyone not having an avatar. 
At this point you're trolling and the moderators should consider if this type of meta-trolling (that's happening in various ways more and more) is banworthy or not. 

(That's just the proof you're a troll - I could comment on the rest as well, including your obvious nickname).

For example, MMR-bashing is exceedingly rare nowdays.
Also if somebody has a higher MMR than you that's the opposite of what you'd need to accuse them of smurfing. The smurf is the one with a MMR lower than yours and more importantly lower than what their skills in game show. 

You'd know this if you actually played the game which begs the question of what the fuck you're doing here. 
Since you're clearly not playing the game: 

spacer.png

Oh Im sure you have an other active account, right? And this one was not used for trolling in the past. 
So perhaps the mods can look into your ban history accross all your accounts to see if your money's where your mouth is. 

Edited by Ondis
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You can only control  yourself.
People forget that and they try to manage others usually through flaming.
If things turn toxic I will grief.
I play for fun.
Usually when you're on a lose streak it can have to do with your attitude.
Being aware of that and having a positive vibe does usually help.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Ondis said:

Never heard anyone say beggar in the game in my 10 years to anyone not having an avatar. 
At this point you're trolling and the moderators should consider if this type of meta-trolling (that's happening in various ways more and more) is banworthy or not. 

(That's just the proof you're a troll - I could comment on the rest as well, including your obvious nickname).

For example, MMR-bashing is exceedingly rare nowdays.
Also if somebody has a higher MMR than you that's the opposite of what you'd need to accuse them of smurfing. The smurf is the one with a MMR lower than yours and more importantly lower than what their skills in game show. 

You'd know this if you actually played the game which begs the question of what the fuck you're doing here. 
Since you're clearly not playing the game: 

spacer.png

Oh Im sure you have an other active account, right? And this one was not used for trolling in the past. 
So perhaps the mods can look into your ban history accross all your accounts to see if your money's where your mouth is. 

You should go out sometime. It's lovely out here

Edited by RKuken_