Jump to content

Toxic players and trolls, what is it like being a new player to HoN I wonder?


Recommended Posts

Hey guys, this post must have been made a thousand times by now but I thought I'd try and make a contribution or start a new discussion.  

Been playing HoN since it came out and it's always been me and my friends favourite game. It IS the best MOBA out there on the market without question however lately I've been trying to put myself in the shoes of new players entering HoN. It's gotta be absolutely terrifying.  

I'd like to share a small part of my somewhat recent journey ranking down to almost 1400mmr. I think I was at 1560 - 1600mmr when I ran into some really heavy losses which is nothing unusual and it happens from time to time.  The opponents were simply better. But once I got under 1500mmr things started getting... slightly annoying. The amount of toxic players and trolls below 1500mmr seems to be in my opinion endless. There's always that one dude not reading chat, picking w/e he or she wants and if that person doesn't get their way they refuse to participate in teamfights or just plain feed on purpose. Once I got under 1500mmr I started disconnecting out of pure frustatration because the games were so freaking bad which of course resulted in even lower mmr which made things worse. That's on me but I can imagine a lot of people doing the same thing and the cycle continues, all because of people not behaving correctly. Bad picks, bad attitude, I get the impression that so many play for themselves and not for their team in that rating. 

Now I know, just play and get a higher rating and it's true higher rated games are more enjoyable, of course. I managed to climb out of that pit of hell via premade games with friends. But I am not talking about myself, current players, veterans, but new ones. New players who don't have anyone to premade with who are in a sense "forced" to solo-que. Are there any type of statistics of new players creating accounts and actually staying? It's hard to obtain perhaps but would be interesting to know. I understand of course that many trolls and toxic people just create new accounts in order to get around being reported. 

How are we, as a community, supposed to get new players to join us and also keep them? This is the best game in the world and I want it to grow. 

I understand as well that every game has these problems it's just that in HoN it feels 1000x worse but perhaps thats also because I care so much about the game. Would it be possible to introduce some sort of feature that rewards the player for playing good, atleast in those lower brackets, for the new players? I'm just brainstorming of the top of my head but what if after the game is done, you can give people votes (like in csgo) such as *good teacher* / *good communication* etc and that player recieves some silver or a low-cost skin? 

Please make any suggestions you can and share your experiences, perhaps this is not as common as I would like to think it is. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Admin said I was the first to complain about smurfs doing the opposite, playing in a higher rank than they actually are. But from what you're saying and from what I've been seeing it's happening all the time! I keep seeing accounts with only a few games on them come in and troll. They've even got it down and figured out ways they can troll without being reported and banned. They'll flame the chat then teleport to someone elses lane and start pushing it, then they die and feed and do it all over again. 

I'm not sure if I have a solution but I think it was better how they did it before. You started out on bronze and worked your way up, now people can start a new account on a silver I pretty easily. They can probably do a better job in the AI that decides how far up or down their mmr goes when they start an account. If someone goes 3/20 in kills and deaths four games in a row, then put that person in bronze. And don't let them start a new account to get around it and do it all over again. I know these kinds of things take work, but that's what the game needs right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

MMR is lower than yours - noob
MMR is higher than yours - smurf
Reacts to trolling - toxic
Does not respond to trolling - does not understand the language
Writes in a broken language (even if it is clearly Spanish) - Russian
Few Kills - Noob
Many kills - smurf
No avatar - beggar
There is an avatar - donater
Only with those who take Devo is always a good person, because he has an excellent balance and not at all annoying gameplay, besides, it is easy to play on him and it is easy to gain any rating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard anyone say beggar in the game in my 10 years to anyone not having an avatar. 
At this point you're trolling and the moderators should consider if this type of meta-trolling (that's happening in various ways more and more) is banworthy or not. 

 

(That's just the proof you're a troll - I could comment on the rest as well, including your obvious nickname).

For example, MMR-bashing is exceedingly rare nowdays.
Also if somebody has a higher MMR than you that's the opposite of what you'd need to accuse them of smurfing. The smurf is the one with a MMR lower than yours and more importantly lower than what their skills in game show. 


You'd know this if you actually played the game which begs the question of what the fuck you're doing here. 
Since you're clearly not playing the game: 

spacer.png



Oh Im sure you have an other active account, right? And this one was not used for trolling in the past. 
So perhaps the mods can look into your ban history accross all your accounts to see if your money's where your mouth is. 

Edited by Ondis
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

You can only control  yourself.
People forget that and they try to manage others usually through flaming.
If things turn toxic I will grief.
I play for fun.
Usually when you're on a lose streak it can have to do with your attitude.
Being aware of that and having a positive vibe does usually help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Ondis said:

Never heard anyone say beggar in the game in my 10 years to anyone not having an avatar. 
At this point you're trolling and the moderators should consider if this type of meta-trolling (that's happening in various ways more and more) is banworthy or not. 

 

(That's just the proof you're a troll - I could comment on the rest as well, including your obvious nickname).

For example, MMR-bashing is exceedingly rare nowdays.
Also if somebody has a higher MMR than you that's the opposite of what you'd need to accuse them of smurfing. The smurf is the one with a MMR lower than yours and more importantly lower than what their skills in game show. 


You'd know this if you actually played the game which begs the question of what the fuck you're doing here. 
Since you're clearly not playing the game: 

spacer.png



Oh Im sure you have an other active account, right? And this one was not used for trolling in the past. 
So perhaps the mods can look into your ban history accross all your accounts to see if your money's where your mouth is. 

You should go out sometime. It's lovely out here

Edited by RKuken_
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NineYoGirI said:

However, I would prefer to see people playing on servers assigned to their location. Why do I have to listen to insults in Russian on EU servers?

Because Russia is in europe. If they were region locked a.k.a russians playing in russian servers only, I would be in agreement with that.

But factually it's incorrect when you say: what are Russians doing in EU.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

you get banned for calling people retards but when announcer calls you MF, or get dumpster kid, or a b!tch by devo its cool all you need to do is pay money, i hope this game die for good at last

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, ensid said:

you get banned for calling people retards but when announcer calls you MF, or get dumpster kid, or a b!tch by devo its cool all you need to do is pay money, i hope this game die for good at last

Dude, those things make the game. Anyone who returns to HoN or starts playing it loves that announcer and the cocky sound effects. Stop crying about it. 
If you don't like censorship/wokeness then decry that.   

It's like  when people say "what would happen if a woman said xyz" . The complaint should be "nothing should happen if a man says it just like nothing should happen if a woman says it". 


Maybe you're unlucky and I'm lucky but the very few times I've been banned in this game for chat violations I would have banned myself (with the exception of one case of trolling a GM in a pre-set team with a pro smurf). 


I have like a 100+ people I've added throughout my time in this game and they've complained about a lot of stuff but very few have complained about this topic. I've been a bit of an advocate for this issue overall in a few ways I won't disclose but suffice to say if someone like me doesn't hold too much against rule enforcement here from the perspective of it being too harsh then it probably isn't. 


The only somewhat common complaint that seems to exist is people complaining about being banned when engaging in counter-trolling or flamewars without starting them. But to an extent I can understand that a line has to be drawn somewhere or it can get really nasty really fast even if you have good intentions. 

 

 

If you want, please do PM me the chatlogs and if it was basically just you calling them a retard a few times then  I'll happily reflect it in my post. 

Edited by Ondis
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, Ondis said:

Dude, those things make the game. Anyone who returns to HoN or starts playing it loves that announcer and the cocky sound effects. Stop crying about it. 
If you don't like censorship/wokeness then decry that.   

It's like  when people say "what would happen if a woman said xyz" . The complaint should be "nothing should happen if a man says it just like nothing should happen if a woman says it". 


Maybe you're unlucky and I'm lucky but the very few times I've been banned in this game for chat violations I would have banned myself (with the exception of one case of trolling a GM in a pre-set team with a pro smurf). 


I have like a 100+ people I've added throughout my time in this game and they've complained about a lot of stuff but very few have complained about this topic. I've been a bit of an advocate for this issue overall in a few ways I won't disclose but suffice to say if someone like me doesn't hold too much against rule enforcement here from the perspective of it being too harsh then it probably isn't. 


The only somewhat common complaint that seems to exist is people complaining about being banned when engaging in counter-trolling or flamewars without starting them. But to an extent I can understand that a line has to be drawn somewhere or it can get really nasty really fast even if you have good intentions. 

 

 

If you want, please do PM me the chatlogs and if it was basically just you calling them a retard a few times then  I'll happily reflect it in my post. 

so when announcer calls me MF its cool but when i clal someone else MF i get banned? Makes sensee

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ensid said:

so when announcer calls me MF its cool but when i clal someone else MF i get banned? Makes sensee

The announcer is not personally attacking you. The voice actor doesn't know you at all, so he couldn't insult you personally.
When someone is writing it in chat, it is usually targeted at a single person. That's the big difference (imho).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Manu311 said:

The announcer is not personally attacking you. The voice actor doesn't know you at all, so he couldn't insult you personally.
When someone is writing it in chat, it is usually targeted at a single person. That's the big difference (imho).

loools that theory is so stretched. When Im getting killed, ME, personally and announcer says Welcome to Newerth MF then its directed to ME. I dont literally care what announcer or players call me because I can take all the crap on the world and dont even care, but what is making me mad is the fact that players insulting are getting suspended while things in game insulting you are avaiable for everyone and noone bats an eye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2021 at 1:44 PM, ensid said:

loools that theory is so stretched. When Im getting killed, ME, personally and announcer says Welcome to Newerth MF then its directed to ME. I dont literally care what announcer or players call me because I can take all the crap on the world and dont even care, but what is making me mad is the fact that players insulting are getting suspended while things in game insulting you are avaiable for everyone and noone bats an eye. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2021 at 6:20 PM, Manu311 said:

The announcer is not personally attacking you. The voice actor doesn't know you at all, so he couldn't insult you personally.
When someone is writing it in chat, it is usually targeted at a single person. That's the big difference (imho).

Do whaaaaa?  So your saying that you "personally" know every single person on HoN?  The announcer doesn't know you from a hole in the wall and neither do the players your playing with.  No one knows anyone so I fail to see where what you wrote holds any merit.  If you do know the players your playing (in a party) chances are pretty good they're not going to report you for banter.... that's the random's job... keyword being "RANDOM"... meaning you don't know them personally lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2021 at 1:13 AM, DemonicRuins said:

Do whaaaaa?  So your saying that you "personally" know every single person on HoN?  The announcer doesn't know you from a hole in the wall and neither do the players your playing with.  No one knows anyone so I fail to see where what you wrote holds any merit.  If you do know the players your playing (in a party) chances are pretty good they're not going to report you for banter.... that's the random's job... keyword being "RANDOM"... meaning you don't know them personally lol.

I don't know most players personally. But I know that they exist, because they play with me - so I can talk directory to them and directly direct my words to them.
The announcer can't - he doesn't know of some players existence, and he can't know who is "insulted" in any specific game, since his "insult" was created a lot earlier than the game happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Manu311 said:

I don't know most players personally. But I know that they exist, because they play with me - so I can talk directory to them and directly direct my words to them.
The announcer can't - he doesn't know of some players existence, and he can't know who is "insulted" in any specific game, since his "insult" was created a lot earlier than the game happened.

thats so stretched. Double standards, i can be insulted but i cannot, thats how i see that, with the difference that I must pay real money to be able to

Link to post
Share on other sites

The argument/debate in this thread is pretty ridiculous. It's obvious that the announcer is not directing it towards you as a person as it's already a pre-scripted event that happens if your hero dies while taunted by a player that has that announcer on. Compare that to a person actually typing or saying that to you with their voice - it's different.

 

Closing this thread now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...