So, i just found out today about this game, and as a long time MOBA player(tho i still kind of suck), i think it looks interesting and i want to give it a shot.
Now, after looking for info and general stuff about the game, from the outside it seems kind of dead, i don't know if that's actually the truth or not, so maybe you guys can clear that one out for me.
Is it still worth getting into this game, if so, what do i have to expect, veterans?, the inability to find matches?
No matter the outcome, i'll still give it a shot nonetheless.

Also does it still run on linux, or can i run it through wine or something without getting instantly banned?
From what i've read, they don't support it anymore but it still runs, tho idk.

Depends on what you expect. There is no competitive part anymore (a Iot of money to make), but you can find a match within 2minutes. AIso be prepared that the community isn't very "beginner friendIy" so better pIay unranked pubIic games at start (if you go matchmaking as a brandnew pIayer you gonna get fIamed a Iot).

That said: Be prepared to pIay the best MOBA ever made, good Iuck and have fun! ?

Isn't that kind of a bold claim, to call this game the best MOBA?
I was a pretty die hard fan of DOTA2 and hated LOL from the bottom of my heart and after a few years i started playing that too, around 600-700 hours at this time and after that i played a bit of Heroes Of The Storm too, which i liked but haven't sinked nowhere near as many hours in it and honestly i don't think i can choose one over the others because all of them do thing differently.

Also, what about the linux compatibility?

Here is the info regarding playing on Linux.

As far as I have heard it still works for most people. I have switched to Windows when they stopped official support but before that the game worked perfectly on my Linux PC.

If you are from Dota, search for Dota HoN Hero comparison and you will find around 40 heroes which are very similar.

This will give you a very soft start or you go ahead and try out some of HoN's very unique heroes ?

4 minutes ago, MadDMethods said:

Isn't that kind of a bold claim, to call this game the best MOBA?
I was a pretty die hard fan of DOTA2 and hated LOL from the bottom of my heart and after a few years i started playing that too, around 600-700 hours at this time and after that i played a bit of Heroes Of The Storm too, which i liked but haven't sinked nowhere near as many hours in it and honestly i don't think i can choose one over the others because all of them do thing differently.

Also, what about the linux compatibility?

I aIso have pIayed aII the other MOBAs ( DotA, DotA2, IoI, HotS) but none of those came even near to hon. The game is so siIky smooth compared to the other mobas. I'm taIking about the mechanicaI part not community, pIayerbase, tournaments etc. So for ME it is the best MOBA ever made ?

About Iinux I have no idea.

AIso there is this new community project to heIp new peopIe get into hon. HoN Reborn. You might wanna check that out.

Welcome @MadDMethods,
Hope you will enjoy Heroes of Newerth!

[SGM] — Senior Game Master for Heroes of Newerth

Want to get in touch with an SGM?
Want to appeal your suspension?
 Click Click >
R.A.P helpdesk<

3 hours ago, MadDMethods said:

Also, i think i'll have to make a dual boot config, as i can't figure out how to fix some errors, i managed to fix some of em, but they keep coming -,-

How rude that no one pinged me when someone asks about Linux-support :-D .

The game runs flawlessly on Linux. Even better than on Windows. Linux is the only OS that has a 64 bit client, while Mac and Windows are only providing 32 bit.
There is one flaw however: Since you can only access OpenGL on Linux (not DirectX), you will get one single occasional bug: The Gamma-Value of the game gets set to zero and you have to restart the game to fix it. That's happening every couple of games.

If you have problems getting the game to run on Linux, you can go to https://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/index.php?/forum/9-community-tech-support/ and ask for help.
Feel free to also send me a PM or ping me when asking that question ;-).

As for Wine, you can run the Windows client there without problems. OpenGL and DirectX mode should work fine.
I have never heard of any ban because of Wine.

• Like 1

Some remarks on the compatibility. I'm running Linux, but I can't get the native version to run anymore due to old libraries that I can't seem to install in Arch. I was able to do it on my old notebook, but nowadays I just use Wine with DXVK since I also get errors with some effects in the game with OpenGL. I can say that it runs almost flawlessly but I also encounter the moving items bug where the game lags when doing that the first time, same for some AoE spells. Have been playing like that for the past months and no additional issues, technical or ban.

• Like 1