I don't think you guys understand the importance of this

The marketing donations page has been sitting stale on 16$ ever since it was added. I'm tired of this mentality that has been seeping into HoN ever since 2014 that HoN is dying. Things die in life if you let them, if you support them and nurture them they rise and thrive. I see so many players passionate about HoN, that want it to live. Why not show it? Marketing is an intangible goal that is difficult to connect to, it's not like server stability or MacOS port that are understandable and relatable. However, Marketing is crucial to any business success - a good business, a bad business, a thriving business or a struggling business.

That is why I am posting this thread - as a wake up call to everyone that care about the matter at hand.

I have just donated 100$ to the marketing department, and this month I will take overtime shifts to further increase the amount - I will donate 1000$ to the marketing department next month.

I want everyone that care about this game to give a share of what they can - be it small or large sum, 1$, 2$, 5$ - it matters not. Just know that even if you donate 1$ towards this goal, you have made just as much impact as I have towards progressing this goal - and you are blessed for that.

People have been forgetting what's important in life, and so have I - and it's time to remind everyone to never stop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Thank you Lunarios - I have submitted an ad on Facebook that will run for 28 days because of the amount of your donation. In the past, we have only run ads for about a week because of tournaments that cause a spike in interest.

First of all, I definitely agree with the sentiment. If you want something to thrive, you really need and should put energy/resources into it.

I am not opposed putting in some money myself either, either through buying gold on donating.

It is unfortunate that we are in this position though, since I love the game!

Now a bit of an off-topic tangent, that still relates to the survival of the game:

You mention that this is super important, and we should not underestimate it's effect on the game, yet you Lunarios is one of the most toxic and griefing players in top games these days.

I really don't want to call you out like this, but the hypocrisy is just too massive to let it slide. You want the game to survive, and plead to support with donations? How about you look inward, and actually do the same IN GAME. Soooo many players are leaving HoN, because of the toxic attitude that has been spreading for a while.

Just last night, you played a sui PR, fed 5 kills, used 2 BBs, and then LEFT the game.

And you claim that you want the game to survive? What do you think that did with the other 4 players on your team? There are consequences for your actions...

Either way, I agree with the general sentiment.

But man, soooo much can be done from a personal standpoint in game as well, to make the game more healthy.

Here's to 10 more years of HoN, hopefully! ❤️

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Seffers said:

First of all, I definitely agree with the sentiment. If you want something to thrive, you really need and should put energy/resources into it.

I am not opposed putting in some money myself either, either through buying gold on donating.

Now a bit of an off-topic tangent, that still relates to the survival of the game:

You mention that this is super important, and we should not underestimate it's effect on the game, yet you Lunarios is one of the most toxic and griefing players in top games these days.

I really don't want to call you out like this, but the hypocrisy is just too massive to let it slide. You want the game to survive, and plead to support with donations? How about you look inward, and actually do the same IN GAME. Soooo many players are leaving HoN, because of the toxic attitude that has been spreading for a while.

Just last night, you played a sui PR, fed 5 kills, used 2 BBs, and then LEFT the game.

And you claim that you want the game to survive? What do you think that did with the other 4 players on your team? There are consequences for your actions...

But man, soooo much can be done from a personal standpoint in game as well, to make the game more healthy.

I'm glad you brought it up - because if you look in the general picture, and not just me - you will see that it is many, many, many players that do the same. I may be one of the most toxic players in top games these days, but at least half of HoN population is toxic and griefing - and if you think I'm wrong, correct me. I am trying every day to do the process of becoming a better in-game player with good attitude, but guess what - every time I try to come into a game with a nice attitude, I have a barrage of flames thrown at me which puts me in a negative mood. How about instead of blaming me for my toxic behaviour, you should look and see how much negative attitude I have to deal with every game to begin with. I played sui PR, died 5 times, used 2 BBS, then LEFT the game - do you know what happened before that game? Do you know how much negative attitude I have to deal with on a daily basis that is just based on my reputation? It would be nice if I didn't have to ignore 6 out of 10 players in a game even when I'm trying to change and be a nicer person. There are consequences for my actions, yes - but there are also consequences to YOUR actions.

Edited by Lunarios
58 minutes ago, Seffers said:

Ah ok, so because Lunarios is an in-game "griefer" (which he isn't based on your description, but what ever, I don't expect any IQ from you) you are calling him out in a very, very nice thread for being a hypocrite... when he isn't one? 

I don't know, I kinda feel like if your rooster is hidden underneath the belly somewhere, you probably should go for a run instead of arguing with your trusty steed a.k.a. your c**filled keyboard. God, get the flip out of here you wet, discarded wax figure. 

I would imagine if the community doesn't understand the importance of marketing, it's because there was no appropriate community outreach from the company owners. In the same sense, expecting the majority of the community to find this thread alone is in itself a silly notion.

As for OP's sentiment to put yourself out for this cause, to the point of disrupting your daily routines and even working overtime, I find that idea to be highly unhealthy and frankly desperate. You're not a position do so as a mere video game player. You've set unhealthy standards for yourself and it is highly unlikely others will follow in your footsteps.

And on the topic of mental health, it feels to me that Lunarios has in a way compromised his reputation to the point where he/she is recognized as the person to be shunned (due to what I'm assuming were attempts at creative / experimental plays, which yield less success in higher brackets compared to conservative gameplay), and is now trying compensate for that.
While it is commendable, the "that guy" stigma doesn't go away easily, and trying to be the "me-plus" best behavior kind of paragon takes a great toll on one's mental health. It is much more recommended to just take a break from the game than add stress to your life any further.

9 minutes ago, twoscoopsREE said:

I would imagine if the community doesn't understand the importance of marketing, it's because there was no appropriate community outreach from the company owners. In the same sense, expecting the majority of the community to find this thread alone is in itself a silly notion.

As for OP's sentiment to put yourself out for this cause, to the point of disrupting your daily routines and even working overtime, I find that idea to be highly unhealthy and frankly desperate. You're not a position do so as a mere video game player. You've set unhealthy standards for yourself and it is highly unlikely others will follow in your footsteps.

And on the topic of mental health, it feels to me that Lunarios has in a way compromised his reputation to the point where he/she is recognized as the person to be shunned (due to what I'm assuming were attempts at creative / experimental plays, which yield less success in higher brackets compared to conservative gameplay), and is now trying compensate for that.
While it is commendable, the "that guy" stigma doesn't go away easily, and trying to be the "me-plus" best behavior kind of paragon takes a great toll on one's mental health. It is much more recommended to just take a break from the game than add stress to your life any further.

Your analysis is interesting, however far from reality. It is commendable, however, your audacity to believe you understand other's motives and things in general.

- You can place blame on a company or on the general public not educating itself. Two sides of a coin.

- Disrupting a daily routine and working overtime is unhealthy, I agree. For a cause you love? Anything is worth the price. Desperate? I'd call you an ignorant for such statement. It is not for you to decide what others will follow, and what they will not.

- The "Me-Plus" behaviour you are referring to, I must say - is entirely a figment of your creative imagination. What's taking a large toll on my mental health at the moment is your inability to understand perspectives outside of your scope of view.

1 hour ago, Lunarios said:

Your analysis is interesting, however far from reality. It is commendable, however, your audacity to believe you understand other's motives and things in general.

- You can place blame on a company or on the general public not educating itself. Two sides of a coin.

- Disrupting a daily routine and working overtime is unhealthy, I agree. For a cause you love? Anything is worth the price. Desperate? I'd call you an ignorant for such statement. It is not for you to decide what others will follow, and what they will not.

- The "Me-Plus" behaviour you are referring to, I must say - is entirely a figment of your creative imagination. What's taking a large toll on my mental health at the moment is your inability to understand perspectives outside of your scope of view.

Do as you will, you have your freedoms obviously. I do suspect you will burn out though, your selflessness comes off as if it was under a veneer of narcissism.

Nonetheless, you're not promoting healthy behavior. Most people could consider setting aside 50 bucks a month as a means to support, they aren't going to consider becoming paypigs Saudi prince style. That is if you were preaching somewhere most of the community frequented - you're not, these forums are barely alive. It is definitely up to the management to make these donation drives visible in game, tied to the microtransactions or otherwise incentivized one way or another that goes beyond cult-like worship.

You do agree that you're mentally compromised, though. Which is telling.

Edited by twoscoopsREE

Actually this is a good cause. Ive been playing this game for so long now and it brought me so much joy. Everyone is trying to do his part. And i think few do as much as Lunarios does. Also ingame trying out different builds, thinking outside the box. Even if some of you guys would call it grief. Just chill and play some games. 

Do we have some kind of notion as to what target groups marketing would be useful to? For example, I'm skeptical we can attract people that are new to the MOBA genre given the massive learning curve to the game and competition from big titles, but it feels more plausible to attract players from other MOBA games who generally know how the genre works and may already be the equivalent of a Silver/Gold player starting out at HoN as opposed to being the bottom of Bronze.

I just donated to marketing $, but I'm curious to what other players/EU think about this - and perhaps to obtain community input on how marketing can be made more effective.

Edit: Also, it may be smart to bring out a more concerted effort alongside Twitch streamers in driving donations. They themselves stand to gain from prolonging the life of the game, and are already well-positioned to reach out to a significant cross-section of the committee.

Edited by permias
13 minutes ago, Sabimaru said:

And that, in your opinion, is... HoN? lol

That's your understanding of it. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean that HoN is the msot important thing in everyones life and you should dedicate everything you have to it.
What he probably meant is that you should support the people and things you love and not take them for granted. HoN is definitely something he and most of us love, so we should probably support it if we can.

It's pretty easy to turn words around to make fun of someone or something - instead you should rethink your criteria for when you do that. Why would anyone attack someone who actively invests his own hard earned money into one of our favorite games?
He probably could have used that money to buy things for him, his family or friends. Instead he uses it for all of us!

I've put in my 2 cents. Likely put in a few more soon. I originally bought a bunch a people copies of this game.  Kraken could port the entire enemy team into his own well. Good times. 

Edited by facedown

It's nice to see other people sharing my sentiments for this beautiful game.

Working overtime for it seems a bit over the top in my opinon but hey, if it makes you happy why not. But declaring him mentally ill because of that? Give me a break @twoscoopsREE 

I myself don't like the donation page very much, but I did buy every item in the store, so I'm sure some of that money went into paying the servers etc.

At the end of the day we all want HoN to survive. So he is right: If you have some spare money why not give it to a game that persisted for 12years and counting and that has one of the best communities I have ever expirienced in a computer game (I'm not kidding).

Regards

• 2 months later...

So...Lunarios just donated 100$ and says he is planning on donating a 1000$ more to help HON grow and he is looking for input. And you manage to turn it into a rant about some game you're still mad about? Telling him to look inwards at his own toxicity while simultaneously making an idea thread with a quite substantial monatery contribution completely toxic. Man the irony couldnt be more obvious even if you tried. 

Amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got excited about donations when they said they were working on a solution to increase account value so people wouldnt make new accounts. But never heard of any progress and I guess with it went the excitement. Even if they do spend money on marketing the game has a such a huge learning curve and basically no tutorial. And without a proper tutorial for a game such as this the people who are interested, in my opinion, soon lose it because the game is too difficult to learn and community unforgiving. Pair that with instant access to MatchMaking and you got yourself players who just uninstall soon after downloading it. 

Just my opinion.

Edited by R4z0rSh4rp
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, R4z0rSh4rp said:

.... And without a proper tutorial for a game such as this the people who are interested, in my opinion, soon lose it because the game is too difficult to learn ....

I played the following games without any (real) tutorial and with only very little google-usage: DotA, Europa Universalis 4, Kerbal Space Program

All of them made me suffer for hundred of hours, because I had no clue of how to play the game or a lot of details.
However I certainly enjoyed them way more than a lot of "simpler" games. And since all of those games have a decent playerbase, I'm probably not the only one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 2:12 AM, Lunarios said:

The marketing donations page has been sitting stale on 16$ ever since it was added. I'm tired of this mentality that has been seeping into HoN ever since 2014 that HoN is dying. Things die in life if you let them, if you support them and nurture them they rise and thrive. I see so many players passionate about HoN, that want it to live. Why not show it? Marketing is an intangible goal that is difficult to connect to, it's not like server stability or MacOS port that are understandable and relatable. However, Marketing is crucial to any business success - a good business, a bad business, a thriving business or a struggling business.

That is why I am posting this thread - as a wake up call to everyone that care about the matter at hand.

I have just donated 100$ to the marketing department, and this month I will take overtime shifts to further increase the amount - I will donate 1000$ to the marketing department next month.

I want everyone that care about this game to give a share of what they can - be it small or large sum, 1$, 2$, 5$ - it matters not. Just know that even if you donate 1$ towards this goal, you have made just as much impact as I have towards progressing this goal - and you are blessed for that.

People have been forgetting what's important in life, and so have I - and it's time to remind everyone to never stop.

I love your passion for HoN... I really do. I myself used to have it as well.  However I base the majority of my decisions especially when it comes to spending money on a facts & logic/merit system.  Now when it comes to HoN I myself bought my original account during the beta and several underling accounts under it. So I put money into the game back when there was hope for it.  Since then though HoN has been plagued by non stop issues and piss poor management since it's very inception.  HoN has developed into such a great MOBA with such a horrible standing that's not even worth the afterthought in the current MOBA scene.

The question I always had is "WHY?"  For those who remember the old days of MOBAs like Aeon of Strife on Starcraft and Dota Allstars on WC3... we all know that HoN is the only MOBA that stayed true to the source material, even more so than Dota2.  The answer is actually remarkably simple.  It's a story as old as time... the story of the community making suggestions and developers/head honchos not listening.  Before HoN even went live we all said that having to buy an account would deter away people since LoL was free to play.... They didn't listen and what we warned came to pass. LoL surpassed HoN in every way measurable.

Then the community kept urging S2 to institute Region Locking because HoN was supposed to be an RTSMOBA... the RTS stands for "Real Time Strategy". HoN was really beginning to get some following and therefor a varying player base began to grow. Thousands of players solo qued when their group wasn't on or they hadn't found their group yet. Those thousands of players all said the same thing. "How can we have strategy when we can't even communicate?".  This of course was in reference to French players getting stuck in lobbies with Germans. Spanish getting stuck with French and English getting stuck with Spanish and so on and so forth. The question was asked though..... "How can we have strategy when we can't even communicate". S2 didn't respond and thus the great player exodus happened.  They did eventually institute region locking for a very short time but by then it was too little too late.

Fast forward some time and the canyon that represents the player pop between HoN and the next least played MOBA which is Smite is still continuing to grow at an alarming rate.  Now if we all want to be "Honest" & "Correct" I don't believe there is a single thing that can be done at this point to revive HoN and bring back the western players. Even if w/e company controls HoN right now implemented the big changes that the competitive scene wanted such as "Language Locking" so there can actually be strategy, "Pre-Que Role Selection" so you don't wind up with 4 hard carries on one team, "LFG Forums/In-Game Selection" to make it easier for peps to find a group.... it still wouldn't be enough.

Sometimes in life you have to know when to fight and when to let go. HoN had it's chance and while it will always be the greatest MOBA except for Allstars it has just had too little attention for too long.  Darwinism at it's finest.  You'd be better off taking that money, dig a hole in the ground, put the money in the hole and light it on fire. Would be no diff than putting more money into the game. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Because of these donations, we where able to outsource help and bring macOS back to life with 64-bit support / Apple Silicon (m1 ) native port and there were far more players than I anticipated that desired it, just food for thought.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly in the state of HoN today; the greatest MOBA made (IMHO). I believe the only way to make this game grow is to have multiple popular streamers play to get others interested. Among Us released in 2018 was unpopular and with the help of a lot of streamers it basically revived that game. I did see Anthony_Kongphan stream this game on Twitch though with about a thousand+ viewers a few months ago.

Whenever I think of HoN I think of what Agent Smith said to Neo (SPOILER ALERT) For anyone who hasn't seen The Matrix movies. "Everything that has a beginning has an end." :<

Sometimes you just must let it go... When is over its over. No marketing nothing will change. Prize pool in turnaments and top streamers playing game will save this game (if something is here to be saved). Hon got peak way back in 2010 or something like that. I am here from the beta and to be onest rage and players destroyed this game (beside dota 2 was up). Every time when I enter hon people raging more and more. 

Big shoutout to Lunarios. Not only is he helping the game, he is also being a role model. He is one of the best players in the game so people will try and mimic his behavior. 

People... never forget, just because he donated $100 doesn't mean a donation of $10 or even $1 is helping the game. 

I am currently unavailable to help neither via gold coins or donations but as soon as I solve my current problems I will make room in my budget, again, to donate to the game. 

Think of it as a hobby. Some people like to eat good food.
Spend money on food--->eat it--->money gone.
Spend money on HoN--->help game--->money gone.

It's the same thing. Hobbies cost money and you don't get those money back no matter what. 
So the next time you order takeout cut the fries and send $2.50 to HoN instead. Really. 

<3