I desperately want to permanently turn off team chat for all my games.

With the introduction of pinging, for example that you have this item delivered, that ability is off/on cool down I see no need for typing chat anymore.

I’ve been thinking about this for some time and came to a conclusion that this is what I want to do.

it only serves as a very negative place of energy with people bashing every move you do. I don’t want to have to ignore everyone every time I join a game, feels like a lot of work. Please, just let me disable the typing chat since there really is never anything positive being written there. 

I really hope there’s a solution, help me.

If you click "Whisper Only" chat mode after holding down the 'z' button for chat box, the only messages/chat you'll see are from whispers. 

You can do it yourself manually at the start of each game but bear in mind a lack of communication usually leads to worsened team coordination and morale. If you think the benefit of tuning out noise and possible negativity from team chat is worth the cost of zero communication, then by all means. Just keep in mind at the end of the day yes it's a game and yes you can do whatever you want, but it's also a team game and so your actions can lead to evne more negativity.

Personally, I recommend just seeing how things go when a game starts and only switch to "Whisper Only" once you see excessive flaming etc. 

The pinging system is not perfect, as you couldn't clearly communicate warding/dewarding intention or wanting to smoke up. Signal to man up... signal to group up for a push clearly, so on. Still you can do way more than little; indicate your current hp/mana, cooldowns, gold missing for an item, etc. Chat definitely can be more disruptive than useful especially when your teammates misinterpret its purpose and start having arguments. Voice chat is on one hand your most powerful tool, but then again you can't get banned for it so people abuse it to talk crap. It's for sure not that detrimental to just type /ic 3 times and turn voice off entirely in the settings, proceed to focus on own awareness that's all about utility. At a certain point not queing with people whose decision-making you're attuned to is more detrimental than anything else anyway. It is very much a team game after all where quick out of the box thinking and strategizing makes all the difference.

What the fuck happened to this new generation. 
It's so touchy-feely. At the same time it's indeed in some way more toxic. 

It reminds me of the way sexuality has developed as well. Far more in your face, at the same time far more restrictive and repressed. 
The philosopher Slavoj Zizek likened this kind of thing to any behaviour where you want to do the forbidden thing even more. 

I could go on. Like kids in my time wouldn't play "hit the random stranger" and bullying seems to have become so systemic in some cases on social media. But at the same time there is this ultra-woke, super-positivity everyone have to display publicly to fit in socially (unless of course youre somehow repressed, then feel free to shove that in everyoens face). And when someone doesn't fit into this then the other side of the "public" type of bullying happens which is public shaming and cancelling.

Anyway, this is one of the more toxic communities as you call it though at the same time the GMs are generally on the worse cases fast as fuck. 
People have learned to balance that generally flaming and not let it go off into some persistent harassment reasonably well. Its also the game I've had most like full 30-min laugh out loud sessions when people just click like crazy and have a blast like there's no tomorrow. 

I personally want a place where a certain degree of freedom of speech and a sense of community self management still exists and I want a team-based semi-serious atmosphere.   And you can't have that if you do not communicate. It becomes a casual shitshow with just pings. 

If you can't handle it, fuck right off, since there are other games with other such communities catering to your social milieu more readily while there are fewer and fewer places like this.   I just watched on Reddit this popular streamer get shut down because he's "toxic" over some new class he doesn't like. Not even people but a freaking class in like Overwatch or such.

Don't you realize that you end up empowering a bunch of sociopaths competing on  "who can look the most saintly"?  Cause part of  (non-sociopathic) human nature is expressing anger, distrust, disdain, rage, etc without regard on how it will benefit you. Especially in a competitive environment?  I mean I take you as a gentle soul that just doesn't like mean spiritedness or what ever, though you may also be more self righteous than you realize. But what I'm saying is that the pen ultimate dystopia of this reality that you and your ilk are pushing for all over the world is one where the manipulators rule over the vast humanity who have their emotions suppressed. Some sort of "clean/corporate version of hell". 

TL/DR: I'd like to enjoy my shrinking freedom of speech and my classic competitive game in slightly "toxic" spirit and would like you to search for greener pastures rather than mute everyone in what is a social and team based game. 

Edited by Ondis
1 hour ago, Nailzy said:

/ic twice in chat, and all chat ignored. Easy

Shouldn't be possible to mute team chat to be honest. Then again ignoring certain individuals sometimes is an act of salvaging your sanity so I guess it has to be. Anyway had a game where this  prophet went short leaving me and flint confused as fuck who is gonna go long. We both kept telling the dude first nicely then harshly to go long with someone cause they had like tons of slows and stuns. He just runs around merilly as a (good) bot. Like really tryhard supporting. 

Then obviously long (now suicide) starts feeding and this guy after like 3 deaths says "Do you want me to go top?" like completely oblivious to what was happening. Probably unmuted everyone then. Dude wasn't trolling or some crap. Just picked and then tunnelvisioned, threw the game cause of terrible lanes and then caused a trainload of rage to come his way. 

LoL is that way ---------------->

People pinged  a bit here and there but as you have like 60 seconds, everyone walking back and forth on the lanes nobody knew what the heck to do. 

Edited by Ondis
  • 2 weeks later...

Not everyone flames the chat. I use it for strategy discussion and yes it can easily help win the game. As soon as someone says something stupid I just mute them, it doesn’t take long.

I also noticed that everyone has become so toxic lately, I only play mw and every endgame chat is the same, people blaming each other etc.

Speaking of going whisper only, for the first time in years, just an hour ago, I got a message like this:

(Whisper from someone) trash
(Whisper from someone) your team think u will carry but they dont know u are extreme noob

the game ended 10-35, they were already winning with something like 8-20, it was SD mw and there wasn't even any convo in all chat

I'll never understand how miserable are some peoples lives that they take the time to be this toxic for no reason.

Edited by Manu311
Replaced screenshot which included player names with quote
12 minutes ago, SJOLNICK said:

I got a message like this:

I replaced your screenshot with an image. Please don't call out player names.
Either censor those pictures, so one doesn't see who you're talking about or just make up examples.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, Ondis said:

What the fuck happened to this new generation. 
It's so touchy-feely. At the same time it's indeed in some way more toxic. 

It reminds me of the way sexuality has developed as well. Far more in your face, at the same time far more restrictive and repressed. 
The philosopher Slavoj Zizek likened this kind of thing to any behaviour where you want to do the forbidden thing even more. 

I could go on. Like kids in my time wouldn't play "hit the random stranger" and bullying seems to have become so systemic in some cases on social media. But at the same time there is this ultra-woke, super-positivity everyone have to display publicly to fit in socially (unless of course youre somehow repressed, then feel free to shove that in everyoens face). And when someone doesn't fit into this then the other side of the "public" type of bullying happens which is public shaming and cancelling.

Anyway, this is one of the more toxic communities as you call it though at the same time the GMs are generally on the worse cases fast as fuck. 
People have learned to balance that generally flaming and not let it go off into some persistent harassment reasonably well. Its also the game I've had most like full 30-min laugh out loud sessions when people just click like crazy and have a blast like there's no tomorrow. 

I personally want a place where a certain degree of freedom of speech and a sense of community self management still exists and I want a team-based semi-serious atmosphere.   And you can't have that if you do not communicate. It becomes a casual shitshow with just pings. 

If you can't handle it, fuck right off, since there are other games with other such communities catering to your social milieu more readily while there are fewer and fewer places like this.   I just watched on Reddit this popular streamer get shut down because he's "toxic" over some new class he doesn't like. Not even people but a freaking class in like Overwatch or such.

Don't you realize that you end up empowering a bunch of sociopaths competing on  "who can look the most saintly"?  Cause part of  (non-sociopathic) human nature is expressing anger, distrust, disdain, rage, etc without regard on how it will benefit you. Especially in a competitive environment?  I mean I take you as a gentle soul that just doesn't like mean spiritedness or what ever, though you may also be more self righteous than you realize. But what I'm saying is that the pen ultimate dystopia of this reality that you and your ilk are pushing for all over the world is one where the manipulators rule over the vast humanity who have their emotions suppressed. Some sort of "clean/corporate version of hell". 

TL/DR: I'd like to enjoy my shrinking freedom of speech and my classic competitive game in slightly "toxic" spirit and would like you to search for greener pastures rather than mute everyone in what is a social and team based game. 

Politics has very little to do with trash talking in games, this kind of behavior stems all the way back to xbox live on halo and it has never changed, being woke and freedom of speech have nothing to do with this, period.

Not always - but a moderate amount of the time the people who are reporting actually aren't hurt and are generally seeing trash talk as an opportunity to get revenge and aren't phased in the least, some of the time it's actually very hurtful or horribly racist comments, and yes, sometimes, but not always, someone is being a little sensitive, sure, i can get behind that - but you arguing that the person who reported is a cry baby is as strong as an argument saying the person trash talking is immature.

--

If you want to bring a real argument that actually makes sense, it would be debating what kind of trash talk you think shouldn't be bannable, if you're actually protesting for an unfiltered (or close) game you're delusional and cannot be reasoned with.

Edited by HyperXewl

There has been studies done on "trash talking/toxicity" in games, and it's been proven that the more negative a team is, the more likely it is to lose the game.

There's absolutely no doubt that just one person being toxic, will affect the morale of the rest of the game. 

Man, if I had omnipotent GM powers in this game, HOLY SHIT so many people would get the hammer! ❤️

But when the game has 500 western players left, there's really not much to do if you want the game to live for as long as possible, sadly.

I would also like a function to mute everyone once the game initiates after picking phase. Literally no reason at all for there input beyond that point. I always forget to /ic chat and end up discouraged to try or tilted at my team mates, nothing good comes from in game chat.

I recomment Heroes of the Storm for you.

- No Allchat

-Everyone gets killcredit

-Everyone has same xp

-No items to buy that make teammates flame you

-Only 4 Buttons to press all game long

Think you will enjoy it

regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I definitely had to stop playing this game because of the insane toxicity.  At a certain point the game isn't fun enough to tolerate weirdos flaming everything you do.

On 7/31/2021 at 5:14 AM, HyperXewl said:

Politics has very little to do with trash talking in games, this kind of behavior stems all the way back to xbox live on halo and it has never changed, being woke and freedom of speech have nothing to do with this, period.

Not always - but a moderate amount of the time the people who are reporting actually aren't hurt and are generally seeing trash talk as an opportunity to get revenge and aren't phased in the least, some of the time it's actually very hurtful or horribly racist comments, and yes, sometimes, but not always, someone is being a little sensitive, sure, i can get behind that - but you arguing that the person who reported is a cry baby is as strong as an argument saying the person trash talking is immature.

--

If you want to bring a real argument that actually makes sense, it would be debating what kind of trash talk you think shouldn't be bannable, if you're actually protesting for an unfiltered (or close) game you're delusional and cannot be reasoned with.

My arguments make sense to me. 
I haven't specified what kind of trash-talking should be bannable and what shouldn't because generally from what I've noticed it's quite in line where I want it, with the exception of if someone goes all balls to the wall in insulting everyone about everything you should be able to insult him back. 

But other than that we're, again, where I want us to be. 
Like I said, the very hurtful or horrible racist comments get  you banned. Persistent harassment too. 

Other than that people are just generally letting their emotions get the better of them and rage a bit too much  but that should be allowed. Even if it sometimes leads to throws. That's part of the game.  This guy can't handle that setting and there are then alternatives for him in the "scene" so to speak. 

Had this game recently with this Iranian/Turkish woman of probably 25+ years of age raging with this English dude. They kept trashing each other the moment someone did something. Of course every time they died they did so on "purpose" to lose the game for the other and so on. The English guy thought the Iranian girl was some kind of 12-year old kid due to her feminine voice and bad English which resulted in hilarity. 
Imo the English dude went a bit too far from time to time but she clearly didn't mute him as she said she would but kept lobbing away insults back at him so it was all fair game as much as I'm concerned.  I started trolling the both of them a bit at the end, especially when they started teaming up - i guess the game went on for so long they stoped being angry at each other.  "X and Y bffs 4ever :D"  I also tried to calm it down a bit when it got over the line. 

And obviously none of them were wussies enough to report the other, at least they didn't make those kind of threats. 
That's one of the things I hate online the most, people baiting each other not to induce some lulz-worthiness but then to cancel the other for stepping over the line. And as you said yourself, it happens though it's not super common here at least. 

Overall I have nothing to add, I'm suggesting the guy leave rather than the game and community change. 

Of course there are outliers. One of my accounts, possibly this one but maybe one of the other sub accounts has a ban that is an example of where everyone start insulting everyone to the point where it's really disgusting and there's no way to stop it because it gets so infected. But that's a real rarity and everyone got banned there in the end. I think about 7 people out of 10 got banned. Me and a GM had a laugh about the shitshow before he checked the replay and told me "RIP" 😄 Though I don't think it was him that ended up banning me in the end.  It's like a bar-fight irl. 

Edited by Ondis

The stuff I'm personally more annoyed by is the stuff that never will get the person banned. 
"omg you noobs where the fuck is the team" when some idiot runs into 4 guys alone and dies.
or  "WTF where are the wards trash support" when the enemy team has just dewarded. 

It just gets tiering and there's no hilarity in it nor no way to argue with these people. Just bruised egos. But so what, mute them and play on. 

Edited by Ondis
6 hours ago, Ondis said:

The stuff I'm personally more annoyed by is the stuff that never will get the person banned. 
"omg you noobs where the fuck is the team" when some idiot runs into 4 guys alone and dies.
or  "WTF where are the wards trash support" when the enemy team has just dewarded. 

It just gets tiering and there's no hilarity in it nor no way to argue with these people. Just bruised egos. But so what, mute them and play on. 

You can't ban for stupidity. How would noob games be playable otherwise? The problem here is you have to prove maliciousness behind the intent which is hard to discern from the objective standpoint. Of course it's different in games that get budget for moderation like League of Legends where a pattern of this kind of behavior is punished, so it all comes to the lack of resources.

13 hours ago, twoscoopsREE said:

You can't ban for stupidity. How would noob games be playable otherwise? The problem here is you have to prove maliciousness behind the intent which is hard to discern from the objective standpoint. Of course it's different in games that get budget for moderation like League of Legends where a pattern of this kind of behavior is punished, so it all comes to the lack of resources.

Yeah exactly, just mute and move on 😛