Screen freeze every time an action happens

Posted (edited)
  1. Hi, I have been having this issue for a long time so now I am posting this on forum to see if anybody else has the same issue or know how to fix it.

Description:

- Screen freeze up to half a second, usually happen in the first matches after the game is first launched following PC startup

- Constantly happen when a new action happens (e.g. cast spells, use courier, last hit creeps, use items... and also happen when opponents take those actions)

- It usually gets better after 15 minutes each game, but it will take between 2 - 5 of those games for the issue to acceptably disappear

- Sometimes (once or twice a day), the freeze can be as long as 10 seconds, following a genocide, or a concede vote

My observations and possible reasons:

- When open the console, i found lots of warning, lots of errors, lots of downloading and lots of resource loading. Some examples (console log available upon request):

Net: [12:20:21] Request failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer ()
Net: [12:20:23] Request failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer ()
Net: [12:20:28] Request failed: Failure when receiving data from the peer ()
Resource: [12:21:10] Loading ResourceReference '!http://s3.amazonaws.com/naeu-icb2/icons/4/280/4280990/1.cai'
Net: [12:21:10] [Web] Starting download on http://s3.amazonaws.com/naeu-icb2/icons/4/280/4280990/1.cai
Net: [12:21:10] [Web] Finished download on http://s3.amazonaws.com/naeu-icb2/icons/4/280/4280990/1.cai

- My PC build is decent enough to play the latest RPG games on High settings

- I tested in various HoN settings from Max Settings to Lowest, with the lowest settings experience slightly less but still considerable amount of freezes

- My FPS on both settings are around 150. Regardless of the settings, FPS usually drop to 30 during big fights and only recover to 80 after the fight ends

- Popping the early game confetti usually result in 1 second freeze

- Issue is worse when I use Google Chrome for Youtube music

Could it be due to my HoN installation drive being different from my Windows drive?

Could it be due to shader cache?

Could it be due to the fact that I use my phone 4G internet to play? (situational, can't change wifi, don't have cable, don't ask why)

My system info:

Client System Details:
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz (2901 MHz)
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (4.00 GB)
RAM: 25.65 GB/31.94 GB
Virtual Memory: 3.10 GB/4.00 GB
Page File: 31.09 GB/39.94 GB
Drive C:\ 46.83 GB/118.45 GB
Drive D:\ 212.16 GB/1397.22 GB

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Acnowlogia
Posted (edited)

Try practice mode. It's a local server so you can see if internet connection is a factor. If it is fine in multiple practice mode games, it's likely your internet connection. 

Other than that, I imagine it's CPU related. You need a CPU with strong single core performance. 

Edited by ElementUser
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ElementUser said:

Try practice mode. It's a local server so you can see if internet connection is a factor. If it is fine in multiple practice mode games, it's likely your internet connection. 

Other than that, I imagine it's CPU related. You need a CPU with strong single core performance. 

If nobody else has this issue, and according to your suspicion, I think it is likely my internet then.

My CPU is quite strong.

and so my problem will not be solved...

Edited by Acnowlogia

I used to experience this every game but no longer did much after the 64 bit client. Only upgraded my GPU I am using the same internet with no change to my knowledge. If you're not using the 64bit client try it. Only hardware change was a gpu upgrade to RX 580, but I still experienced it afterward so. I might've reinstalled windows 10 too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gimj said:

I used to experience this every game but no longer did much after the 64 bit client. Only upgraded my GPU I am using the same internet with no change to my knowledge. If you're not using the 64bit client try it. Only hardware change was a gpu upgrade to RX 580, but I still experienced it afterward so. I might've reinstalled windows 10 too.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm using GTX 1070 so I doubt it's a problem.

I also want to try 64bit client but too lazy to update it atm... we'll see