Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Sandkar

Total damage done/DPS/Average DPS done by Spell Sunder on it's own

Posted (edited)

I was a bit bored again and the result was some heavy mathing. More precisely, Spell Sunder's "remove x% of current health" mechanic and how much raw damage/dps it does on it's own:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ni7eggdnxk

I won't put the particulars on how the equations were derived, they may seem simple but the path to them was not that simple!

We can see that after e.g. 10 seconds of a target with 3000 HP getting damaged by the Spell Sunder 4% version, it has done a total of ~1005 damage to the target, at the specific time 10 seconds in it's dealing ~81 DPS to the target. And overall it's average dps is 100.5 after 10 seconds. Note that this is pre-magic armor values.

As expected, to double the damage done from 1005 to 2010, the time it takes is not 20 seconds but instead around 27 seconds. And the current dps at that time is around 41. This is due to the "4% of current health" removing less and less each second because there's less health to remove.

Needless to say, the more HP the target has, the more total damage it will deal over a certain period of time, and the more dps it will have etc. But for a modest health value of a late-game tank of 3000 it's dealing a ton of damage. 1/3 of the tanks health gets removed in just 10 seconds from nothing but the Spell Sunder effect.

Of course, if there are other sources of damage being dealt to the target in question, then purely Spell Sunders overall DPS will decrease, because of the "4% of current health" mechanic. The target will die faster, but less of the targets "death" will be due to Spell Sunder. To figure out it's exact total damage done/dps at a time/average dps up to a time, you'd need to know how much damage the target is receiving from other sources. But I still thought it would be quite interesting to see the raw values and power of Spell Sunder on it's own, and it sure is strong. Good for dealing with those pesky Armadon's and 5k hp Devourers.

Edited by Sandkar
Changed graph.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the Graphs :

I don't know much about Desmos, but can you change the X axis or does it have to be the same scale of Y ?

Just so we can see like from 0-1000 on Y and 0-10 on X in a normal computer frame.

---

Otherwise, pretty cool. You could even introduce Magic armor of the target to calculate post-mitigation.

Edited by Tartalacame

6 hours ago, Tartalacame said:

On the Graphs :

I don't know much about Desmos, but can you change the X axis or does it have to be the same scale of Y ?

Just so we can see like from 0-1000 on Y and 0-10 on X in a normal computer frame.

Yeah, you're right. I updated the scaling a bit.

Not accurate without health regeneration reduction - the most important thing about this item.

1 hour ago, EngineerT said:

Not accurate without health regeneration reduction - the most important thing about this item.

I said in the very first paragraph that the post was meant to calculate the raw damage/dps. And in the last paragraph I talk about other sources of damage (which basically is like health regeneration reduction). A word of advice would be to read the post before posting!

6 minutes ago, EngineerT said:

I read everything before posting.

As any (former) (HoN) dev should 😄

Seriously I am happy to see you back from the dead ^^
Doubt you'll remember on this alt but once again, wb.

7 minutes ago, merryhonmas said:

As any (former) (HoN) dev should 😄

You are mistaken because I have never been a HoN developer.

1 minute ago, EngineerT said:

You are mistaken because I have never been a HoN developer.

I am fairly certain I have seen you among Staff tho, was it Tech Support by any chance? Yeah I think it was unless your name is extraordinarily close to someone from the original hired Tech Staff.

Apologies in any case