What vs. Riptide?

I've noticed in the past couple patches, Riptide has become overly powerful. I usually do pretty good playing Gladiator in the middle but the last couple times I've faced Riptide I just get crushed, can't do sh*t to him. 

I usually beat 1500 - 1600 mmr players mid using Gladiator, Riptide is the only one I have a problem with. No matter how many whips and pitfalls I hit him with, he always has full health. And he can last hit everything with his passive. 

Riptide doesn't have any innate regeneration ability, so if he's always full health then he's either bringing a lot of regen or he's controlling the runes much better than you.

Do you control runes properly?

It would help if you could post a match ID just for reference

I watched a little bit and I think you just played sub-optimally, for example you rarely try to get last hits by throwing your hatchet, also you never try to deny creeps exploiting the bonus damage from E (altho it's harder to deny against riptide).

Also sometimes you missed the whipstrike on riptide while you were going for a last hit. Try to position yourself in a better angle.

Another thing i noticed, you never retaliated after riptide jumped on you (W+Q): when he does this, after he's done autoattacking you, you W him and then Q him for a guaranteed pitfall, then you whip him. It will cost you the same amount of mana that it costed him for W+Q, doing this I can guarantee you can trade efficiently with him and eventually outclass him thanks to whip damage.

Rune control was a bit meh since no wards but whatever, it's very low game (and probably the riptide you faced is a gold player statmanipulating to stay silver 5).

Anyways, work on those points and you'll see that gladiator has a favourable matchup against riptide. If you can't make it work, then just go Lord Salforis against him, it's autowin.

It's not easy to find specific matchups like that manually, need someone that can filter out the stats (maybe through the hon api). Anyways you can try to fetch game history of GOD`THON`P and GOD`THON`Q, he played riptide often on those accs and maybe you can find a matchup against a gladiator

Iam 1700 and already won a mid vs a 1700 glad. You just need to harass him WHOLE time you have the 3 skill. Use your mana too to W and Q to harass more, and build armor itens, armor boots its a must! And astrolabe can help too. Riptile has a lot of armor duo to his agi gain, but you have true strike on 3 skill.. so use it 🙂

18 minutes ago, devoautist said:

Iam 1700 and already won a mid vs a 1700 glad. You just need to harass him WHOLE time you have the 3 skill. Use your mana too to W and Q to harass more, and build armor itens, armor boots its a must! And astrolabe can help too. Riptile has a lot of armor duo to his agi gain, but you have true strike on 3 skill.. so use it 🙂

Yeah true, I don't know about armor boots though. Ghost Marchers are pretty standard on Gladiator, the damage boost helps with your true strike and it's really handy for going in and out with Glad.

4 minutes ago, Froschbein said:

str heroes with high autoattack dmg are good vs riptide.

for example: Deadwood, Kraken etc.

True, I have better luck playing Deadwood mid, he is just a stronger mid hero than Glad I think. I play Gladiator because he's fun, with all his different combos. 

55 minutes ago, LeahhGotti said:

Yeah true, I don't know about armor boots though. Ghost Marchers are pretty standard on Gladiator, the damage boost helps with your true strike and it's really handy for going in and out with Glad.

i see.. did you buy phase boots vs a riptile on mid? Try to make armor boots, will be much better vs him. Dont forget to use the boots when he start on you

Hi there,

I play alot of riptide myself -  I find Salforis to be the strongest counter as he is the only melee hero who can box me out of lane. 

Magmus and Wretched Hag are also strong.   Deadwood / Kraken arent the best since riptide has greater movespeed than both of them and can easily kite their abilities with W.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Imho generally it would be hard for a Gladiator to fight a Riptide. Riptide gains too much bonus armor from his passive being in the water. Gladiator can only take shots with his whip with true damage and then run back to hide.  He cannot fight Riptide hit for hit. Also Riptide can evade your pitfall easily with his 2nd ability. 

I would say anyone with a lot of burst damage can beat Riptide mid. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tried another game as Gladiator vs. Riptide, still couldn't beat him, can't seem to do it with Gladiator. Another game I tried Lord Salforis vs. Riptide and crushed him easily, Q + W damn near kills Riptide mid. Thanks for the help guys.