[LOCAL TEMP FIX] "Login disabled for virtual machines" fix for certain Windows Virtualization features

Binary files to download: https://cdn.naeu.patch.heroesofnewerth.com/files/HoN64_HyperV_FIX_4.9.3.1.zip

For version 4.9.3.1 only, download this file and extract it to your Heroes of Newerth x64 folder (default path is C:\Program Files\Heroes of Newerth x64). When prompted to overwrite the pre-existing files, accept to overwrite those files.

Please note the following restrictions/conditions:

• This fix will only work for patch 4.9.3.1
  • This fix will only whitelist Hyper-V/WSL/Virtual Machine Platform on Windows. Other VMs will not work (this is to prevent griefers from bypassing our targeted bans on their systems).
  • This fix will only work for the HoN NAEU 64-bit Client. We cannot produce a set of working 32-bit binary files on our own at this time, and 32-bit HoN players who also leverage Windows' virtualization features will have to wait until the next patch (sorry!)
  • You will be able to patch normally once the next patch is released, do not worry.

We apologize for the inconvenience - this issue will be resolved naturally in the following patch. You should be able to re-enable your virtualization features after applying the above temp fix locally.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Edited by ElementUser
  • Thanks 1
  • ElementUser changed the title to [LOCAL TEMP FIX] "Login disabled for virtual machines" fix for certain Windows Virtualization features

I even disabled WSL but I still get the error. What do I need to do? >.<

I mean, besides downloading the 64-bit client and using the above patch...

Edited by Zedekul
5 minutes ago, ElementUser said:

You may be using some other form of virtualization that isn't whitelisted.

Please send me your console.log file (I left PMs open temporarily).

I am using no virtualization to run windows, at all. I have docker and wsl 2.0 installed. I disabled wsl in "turn on/off windows features" and rebooted my machine but still the same. I cannot find a console.log in the heroes of newerth folder but I'll try to see how to generate one.

7 minutes ago, Zedekul said:

I even disabled WSL but I still get the error. What do I need to do? >.<

I mean, besides downloading the 64-bit client and using the above patch...

You have to follow the above steps first. 

If you don't install the 64 bit client, then you're out of luck and have to wait 5 weeks until the next patch comes out officially. 

1 minute ago, ElementUser said:

You have to follow the above steps first. 

If you don't install the 64 bit client, then you're out of luck and have to wait 5 weeks until the next patch comes out officially. 

But as I said, I don't run any kind of virtualization to play the game, so I am not sure what triggers the error then. I disabled WSL, but no go.  What is it reacting to?

4 minutes ago, Zedekul said:

I am using no virtualization to run windows, at all. I have docker and wsl 2.0 installed. I disabled wsl in "turn on/off windows features" and rebooted my machine but still the same. I cannot find a console.log in the heroes of newerth folder but I'll try to see how to generate one.

Since you mentioned you disabled WSL2, did you also disable Virtual Machine Platform?

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Zedekul said:

But as I said, I don't run any kind of virtualization to play the game, so I am not sure what triggers the error then. I disabled WSL, but no go.  What is it reacting to?

Those 2 forum posts should help you. 

Got Hyper V and WSL2 running. Game won't let me log in as it detects the VM. Disabled all VM stuff as instructed. Game still says i'm on a VM. Installed the 64bit client and the hotfix. Game lets me log in and I can play now. Like 15 min ingame I get disconncted because server files dont match mine. Instant disconnect after reconnect afterwards. Cannot join games now.

Posted (edited)

Try repairing the client, then overwrite the binary files again with the contents from the downloaded file in the original post afterwards.

Otherwise, if nothing works you might just have to wait 5 weeks until HoN gets the next official patch. We can't deploy a patch whenever we want to and it's difficult to get a time scheduled with Garena. 

Edited by ElementUser

Hi, I was able to resolve on my HP by disabling 'Virtualization Technology' from the BIOS, which I had previously enabled it to run some VMs. 

Once I disabled the option from the BIOS I was able to log in no problem. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04760917

Could be different steps/ options for other brand machines but figured this might be helpful to anyone forgetting or unaware that option is enabled. 

@DrusDeus Very sorry about this, but may I ask why you're not using HoN64?

Tho it's not official, we do plan to deprecate HoN "x32" ( 32-Bit / x86 is correct name ) eventually anyway, its becoming overshadowed by HoN64 in terms of even stability at this point, the one thing it had over it originally, now's the time to move man.

@ucute_bro I have reached out to you in DM's recommending mac64 beta 🙂 mac 32-bit is no longer supported and we no longer have time to fix bugs on it, we're probably finally pulling life support on it now in favor of mac64!

Edited by HyperXewl

macOS deprecated 32-Bit entirely from its operationg system years ago, and ARM chips are completely obliterating it from its architecture *ENTIRELY* in a year, it's time to move up to the good stuff boys, if you're still running 32 bit hon I highly suggest you take this opportunity to upgrade.

1 hour ago, HyperXewl said:

@DrusDeus Very sorry about this, but may I ask why you're not using HoN64?

Tho it's not official, we do plan to deprecate HoN "x32" ( 32-Bit / x86 is correct name ) eventually anyway, its becoming overshadowed by HoN64 in terms of even stability at this point, the one thing it had over it originally, now's the time to move man.

@ucute_bro I have reached out to you in DM's recommending mac64 beta 🙂 mac 32-bit is no longer supported and we no longer have time to fix bugs on it, we're probably finally pulling life support on it now in favor of mac64!

When I try to download the HonClient it says, the default path is Program Files (x86)/Heroes of Newrth
Where Could I download the HoN's x64 installer?

42 minutes ago, DrusDeus said:

When I try to download the HonClient it says, the default path is Program Files (x86)/Heroes of Newrth
Where Could I download the HoN's x64 installer?

Hi @ElementUser,

I work in IT and with Hyper-V so understand this a bit. HoN should be able to determine the root partition (your main management OS that a user boots into) of a windows computer vs a guest VM when the hypervisor layer/feature is installed.

Surely the Devs can look through some Microsoft Hyper-V documentation so find a way to whitelist the root partition.