"Login disabled for virtual machines" but I'm not using one

STAFF EDIT: please visit this thread for a solution: 

===================

You've got a bug in your (new?) VM detection code. Not sure what it is but I'm not running in a VM. I've got Hyper-V installed but this is the HOST OS, not a guest. This OS runs VMs it isn't in one itself.

Problem: HoN x64 4.9.3.1 won't let me log in anyhow.

Started with the new version that just dropped tonight (4.9.3.1, x64). Game worked fine on 4.9.3.

OS is Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Insider build 21390. Client Hyper-V is enabled but not in use (no VMs running, not even WSLv2 or Docker, though both are installed).

I've got some virtual reality drivers installed, if the problem is that you're looking for drivers with "virtual" in their name? Don't do that; tons of stuff installs things like a "virtual keyboard device" (for sending keystrokes when you push buttons) or "virtual audio device" (for mirroring audio out multiple speakers at once). None of that's a sign of running in a VM.

MODERATOR EDIT FOR VISIBILITY:

To be absolutely clear, if you have either:

Virtualization Platform

WSL2 / Windows Sub System for Linux

Hyper-V

Your system is a virtual machine, you can disable these in windows features, and then reenable them after you've done playing.

We would like feedback on this if possible, so let us know!

Edited by ElementUser

Disable Hyper-V. 

Apologies for the inconvenience, there are very few users who use it legitimately. This was done to mitigate people from changing their HWID easily to bypass bans.

Hyper-V makes your whole machine a VM, just FYI. 

Edited by ElementUser

We will consider it in the future, but first we need to see how many users actually use it legitimately. I also have to verify if users can bypass the hwid bans with hyper v. 

If they can, we will have to unfortunately leave this the way it is, as it's the only way to get rid of serial griefers at the moment. 

Edited by ElementUser

Removed Hyper-V from the system, same message, i'm also using VirtualBox and other virtualization tools, i guess game over for me.

I'll take a break, there is no way i can remove all my virtualization tools.

Cheers and thanks for your support!

1 minute ago, SirGirre said:

Why i cant login? I installed the game on my computer as normal, it still says that im using a virtual machine. I have no virtual machine.

Yeah we'll reconsider, the reason why I made this decision is because the next patch is only in a month. So we can make a change if we consider it appropriate by then. 

• Sad 1

spacer.png

Check Task Manager, if this says you're using a virtual machine, you're under one.

This can be either because you're running a KVM, You have Hyper-V enabled, or some sort of virtulization is in place.

If this says False or this string isn't here and you cannot login, please let us know.

You can temp remove all virtualization in Windows Features, if you are a developer you can reenable them after you're done playing, this is what I do in other competitive games that flag VM's.

To be absolutely clear, if you have either:

Virtualization Platform

WSL2 / Windows Sub System for Linux

Hyper-V

Your system is a virtual machine, you can disable these in windows features, and then reenable them after you've done playing.

We know this is a little inconvenient, but it isn't prohibiting you from playing entirely, disabling them and a quick restart later and you're playing, and you can reenable these features for development/work when you're done.

Edited by HyperXewl
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

What the actual f@%k! I can't play HoN if I've got Hyper-V installed on my machine? I use virtualization for so many things, not to mention that Docker and my anti-virus actually REQUIRE it! Are you actually suggesting I enable/disable virtualization on my machine every single time I want to play? Who the hell came up with this brilliant idea?

We’re the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression.

Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives.

Jesus effing christ, undo this immediately!

We’re the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression.

Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives.

This is just so weird. When i am programming locally using hyper-v, docker and vmware - then i need to disable hyper-v. Fyi for doing this i will need to disable it, restart - disable again (thats the way it works sometimes) then go in and play. After this, i will need to re-enable it and restart twice again. Amazing stuff ! Just started to get into the game again.

Fyi for those who dont know how to disable it - https://gist.github.com/lorenadl/8b117f1a1bef46aad23e5b5f021ea8ea

Guess i will jump to dota2 again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HyperXewl said:

spacer.png

Check Task Manager, if this says you're using a virtual machine, you're under one.

This can be either because you're running a KVM, You have Hyper-V enabled, or some sort of virtulization is in place.

If this says False or this string isn't here and you cannot login, please let us know.

Task Manager says I have "Virtualization: Enabled", and does *not* say that the machine is itself a VM:

spacer.png

That seems in line with what I'd expect for the VM host (though I suppose it makes sense for the management OS of a "native" hypervisor). I note that Task Manager also shows a virtual Ethernet device, but it's not in use (at present; I would guess it's for WSL or something) and indeed Windows' list of network adapters doesn't even show it.

I'll see if there's any simple thing I can turn off. Unfortunately, I use this machine for both hobby and professional work that really wants a VM sometimes (I can switch back to WSLv1 for some things, but that won't get me Docker and I need that).

RIP... We knew this day would come sooner or later. Guys, just uninstall the game and move on. I'm pretty sure no other MoBA has any of these problems. As someone who's approaching his 11th anniversary (someone who's actually paid for the game when it first came out) I think it's time that we respect ourselves as players and move on to other games. I know it will be a difficult transition, we should try to get our friends (few or many) and find ourselves a new game. There's no way i'm giving up on programming just so I can play this broken game.

• Like 1

RIP.

Why i have virtualization,

WSL for programming/sysadmin stuff
Docker for hosting testing various shite i find funny. 

So now you are making me chose between havin a computer that fits the purpose, or stop playing HoN?

I can see this is greatly upsetting alot of people, this is not an official statement, but I'll look into getting this reversed.

Apon reflecting, this may not have been the greatest move, please understand that our objective was only to deter cheaters, but I can clearly see this wasn't the way to go about it, and I don't want people quitting over it.

I'm honestly very sorry, please understand I come from the perspective of a programmer too, so I *really* do understand 🙂

However, I have DM'ed you all in regards to this with a solution that you'll like, so please check ( if you have not recieved one yet, please wait )

Edited by HyperXewl
  • Thanks 1