Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more

Posted (edited)

It is hard to believe but in May 12 there will be a Honiversary! This not being the regular one, we will be celebrating 10 years of HoN. How do you guys feel about it? I am nostalgic for sure but how do you feel about it? We came a long way guys, kudos to everyone still playing this game since the day one. Those boys at Garena better be making some serious changes cause HoN is getting older and bigger. 😄 Greetings to all of mine loyal Newearthians, may you celebrate this HoNiversary in peace and good health!

Edited by hemlock14

Didn't knew that. Well I wasn't even part of 1/10 of HoNs lifetime, still I like this game is still up, and working on Linux. 👍

I told my mate a lot about the first games just playing public games and having no clue about the game, picking Dark Lady, Chronos and Gauntlet all day, getting flamed for playing bad.

Makes me nostalgic, I even get a blues just watching my stats from that days.

What I miss most? The music! Arnej Šećerkadić did a great job with the song "Hope". Gosh I'm going to spread a tear if I don't get my **** together. Striding through Newerth with the tormented voice of Gauntlet, listening to "Hope". Ok, I need to stop!

I would love if just 5% of the awesome suggestions made throughout the forums would make it live. But I'm not that naive anymore to believe in it.

Greetings back my faithful fellow, may you celebrate this HoNiversary the same way you wished me!

PS: What about an online party? All of us enjoying a fresh beer together, eating cake, cheering at HoN with some balloons! HoN deserved it. With the pandemic going on, it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like I'm back just in time to celebrate 😉

HoN has been a lot of fun throughout the years and although I'm nowhere near as good as I once was, it still brings joy.

HoN always evoked the most intense emotions (highs and lows) of all the mobas out there.  The beautiful moments of perfect synergy with your teammates sticks with you - even when your teammates are total strangers!

On a slightly related note, for those of us that want an 'analog' moba experience, there is a really cool moba board game coming out soon: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolffdesigna/guards-of-atlantis-ii-tabletop-moba

PS: Long live Martyr!

Edited by VHD
  • Like 1

10 Years, wow!

I miss the extra picking sounds when ever a new Hero has been released! Always gave me goosebumps or a good laugh!

Alot of friends have left in the past and at this point i would like to thank those who have stayed and still enjoy this gem of a game!

spacer.png Take these balloons, Falk1

I wish you all the best, fellow Newerthians!

I miss the days of Honcast and the yearly 1v1 HoNiversary tournaments where the top teams and even the staff members themselves showed up to kick some ass! Good times.

• Like 1

10 years....damn. I remember when it was beta and then I bought the game some time in 2009
Only thing I regret is that I didn't pre-purchase so I didn't get the gold shield.
But it would be great to have some kind of event or some minor rewards or something for us who are here since those days.

4cYYJ7o.png

4 hours ago, zaharus said:

10 years....damn. I remember when it was beta and then I bought the game some time in 2009
Only thing I regret is that I didn't pre-purchase so I didn't get the gold shield.
But it would be great to have some kind of event or some minor rewards or something for us who are here since those days.

Well you got the Beta-Warrior icon just from playing before the initial release 😛 .

Anyways, I'm still waiting for the Developer-Announcer I suggested in the old forums - would that be a great chance now? 😏

• Like 1

Yeah, that's also good. Just....a...liiiiittle bit more 😄 😄
Developer announcer just for beta warriors? 🤩😅

• Like 2

4cYYJ7o.png

Wow, 10 years... I started playing in 2011, when I was at the lowest point of my life, I had nothing. Quite literally my only possession was a laptop I had gotten for my birthday. I randomly discovered HoN, got hooked and spent hours and hours and hours playing day and night, it was the one way I had to forget it all and really get immersed in something else. I introduced one of my roommates to it and we would play together all night long with our shitty laptops and terrible connection in the 1200s bracket. Not a cent in my pocket but honest to god the best nights of my life and some unforgettable laughs.

Today I'm a new person, I've recovered and moved on, I have a job, I'm a functioning adult. I still play and always will until they shut off the last server, then I'll play with bots. I know it's just a game but I have some great memories tied to it and I associate it to life events in my head.

I remember when I started playing free heroes would rotate, and you had to purchase them individually to unlock them. Plague Rider was the most recommended one for beginners because it only cost 90 silver IIRC and it was a very simple and solid hero. What a nostalgia trip.

Apologies for the cringey rant and have a great HoNiversary everyone. I'll play till my eyes bleed

• Like 5

It's nice of you all to hear such stories, it just shows how much this game means to people. I like how the people who started playing it when it first came out never actually stopped enjoying it. This game helped me through some of the most difficult periods of my life and for that sole purpose I will stay loyal to it until it dies. Now I just play this game for fun but back in the days I would be so stressed about that damn MMR. xD I think that in general people play it for fun nowadays and the community itself became more chill. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was only because of me, but that's the overall feel that I get. Anyway, hearing your stories about the good old times makes me wanna shed some tear. Love you all ! ❤️ 

“The 'good old times' - all times when old are good.” - Lord Byron

• Like 1

Hey Newerthians!

Throwback Thursday - ON THIS DAY, 2017 we introduced Version 4.1.0 - which we removed the concept of Attack Modifiers from the game. Can you believe there was a time when Shieldbreaker AND Frostwolf didn't work together?! This was due to Warcraft 3's attack modifier limitation, we just continued it on before thinking.. why?

Who remembers?

This week is a 2.1 patch preview by honcast when our very own [S2]DivA subbed in for Fnatic.MSI vs OKC in a classic preview match - our introduction of our new (and still current) spectator UI and the first time we saw Monkey King! Who remembers his broken wombo-combo? Whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNRAlkId6js

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 - 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤! 𝐓𝐚𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐆𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐂𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐬!*
*NAEU (int client) participants only!

We also have a special message coming up for our HoNiversary! 🤫🤫

Slif

That's written on the facebook page. So I think there will be something special 😉

Want to help the HoN Communitiy and the Devs?

Volunteer as a Mod or RCT!

Nice people included 😉

On 5/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, Falk1 said:

PS: What about an online party? All of us enjoying a fresh beer together, eating cake, cheering at HoN with some balloons! HoN deserved it. With the pandemic going on, it's worth a shot.

I'm up for the party! ^^

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since everyone shares something about what HoN meant for them in the past, I'll share something too:

So like 13 years back, I started to develop a DotA-clone. My plan was just a basic replication of basically everything, but without wc3 behind.
However I was active on DotA-forums and I saw the only advertisement of HoN I've ever seen: Someone announced that they are working on it and they will reach closed beta soon.
So naturally I applied for close beta, was frustrated because it took ages for me to get accepted - and once I joined I instantly stopped my own game because there was already a team developing the game I wanted.

If anyone's curious, after that I started to develop a "space game" similar to Freelancer. With a lot less time, since I had to play HoN. Guess what happened ..... Star Citizen
Kinda explains why I rather work on software instead of games nowadays :-D.

Edited by Manu311
  • Haha 6

On 5/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, Manu311 said:

If anyone's curious, after that I started to develop a "space game" similar to Freelancer. With a lot less time, since I had to play HoN. Guess what happened ..... Star Citizen

With the small difference that HoN left beta at one point

• Haha 1

Damn, was it already a decade since it started. Hot damn, time surely goes by if you're enjoying it. Anyhow, 🍻 for HoNiversary and hoping for many more

Posted (edited)

Happy HoNanniversary! Been a while HoN! Such a great masterpiece. love those days until now. with love from Philippines!

Edited by koko_pat