Welcome to the Heroes of Newerth forums

The forums have received a complete makeover. Click the button below to read more about it.
Read more
Eidetik

How to improve your player experience

Posted (edited)

I took a very long break from this game. On my old account I had probably 3k hours on it, and the community drove me out, and to DOTA2. However, this game is still the most difficult MOBA on the market.

Now, coming back, nearly 10 years later, I can say that I still love its difficulty. I love how intense and fast it is.... but this game has a lot of unacceptable things going on in it that need to be fixed.

For one, as a returning player, I have little eagerness to stay for several reason:

1. The user interface and UI is STILL clunky. It seems to not have changed at all in A DECADE!  In GAME it is fine. Im talking about the selection menu, stores, Pinko, etc... its cluttered, disgusting, and looks like a market Id find in Thailand.

2. You need to give players an option to turn off the annoying announcer banners on the top of the screen, and the announcers in other voices, and leave the game at its standard announcer ONLY. If the player wants to.

That level of trolling does nothing but create a super toxic environment. This game is a TEAM game, so TEAMWORK should be promoted. Not teased and diminished. Nor should rage be promoted along side indifference, and incentivized leaving....

3. LEAVERS NEED TO BE PUNISHED HARD. And I MEAN HARD. You leave once, you get a 5 minute ban. You leave twice in a day, you get a day off. You leave three times in 3 days, you get a week off. You are considered not a leaver again after having played 10 games to completion. I played 8 games tonight, and my carry on bot left after 1 death, 7 times. THATS UNACCEPTABLE TO HAVE THAT KIND OF STATISTCAL OUTCOME!  Why are you as developers not doing your jobs and regulating a competitive game?

4. You need to restrict player chat to team only. There is no need for teams to be able to talk to one another since there is nothing good being said to one another, and no need for the teams to interact. Teams only troll one another. Especially on remakes. So what is the point? Its stupid and irresponsible.

5. Remakes need to be team vote only, 3 out of 5 to pass. Queue times, even on US servers which are already 8 minutes long, NOT 2 MINS EVER, even though it advertises itself as such, are unaffected by such an option as remakes. In fact, they will improve! Anyone afk or disconnected by the time the remake vote is cast, is punished as a leaver; which, refer to #3.

6. There needs to be a report system in place that is actually effective. Meaning if I have a player who is absolutely toxic, players can report him. You are only able to be attached 1 report per match, but if you are reported more than 7 times in 15 matches, you will be banned for a day.

7. There needs to be a much more clear structure of your ranking system. It is loose at best. If a team has a leaver within the first 7 minutes of play, only 5 MMR should be awarded, and none should be taken away. It is completely ineffectual and inaccruate to award a team for wins and losses when you have a plague of leavers in your matches. It is such a high leave rate that it has turned me off to your game within 10 matches. Im not saying I WONT play, but I am disinclined to spend money, which supports you. And I am sure many people feel the same way.

This game has endured. sure. I saw this on a post below. But it has done so with a very poor approach to salesmanship, and what appears to be limited effort in marketing and no effort in evolving. Which is sad, because while LoL is running strong, DOTA2 took a hard hit last year when it patched its game into a completely different animal. It is absolutely HORRIBLE now. And LoL is reaping the benefits of that, while this title sits theres slowly dying like a stroke patient.

This time here is a chance for this title to make a few BIG updates, clean up its interfaces and attack its toxic player base. in doing so you will create a truly competitive player base that is looking to be skilled at this, not just yelling and leaving in 5 to 8 minutes every single match. There are players like me out here. Players who put THOUSANDS of dollars into DOTA, and 7k hours into the game, who remember this title, and like this title, but need you to actually engage us as players with something more than rage and ineffective UI choices.

I was on a discord with several of my semi pro and pro players in games, and a few streamers; two nights ago. We were talking  about this game, and they had memories of it; but they all agreed they WOULD NOT stream it and show support, because of the level of toxicity in the matches. Worried that their streams would suffer from the amount of negativity, racism, overt leaving, and rage that happens in every single match.

THAT SHOULD BE A RED FLAG for you devs. Stop promoting trolling and hate by doing nothing and by releasing racist sounding and annoying announcers, and put you money back into the title in a respectful and SERIOUS way to make it bigger and better. 

I have a feeling its all going to Cobra whiskey and... well if you watch Archer... you get the rest. Fix the title. Or your grand kids definitely wont be playing your game, it will continue to be the idiot stepson of the original DOTA developers.

Edited by Eidetik

1. Maybe try out the old interface. It is better imo, however not supported.

2. Noone would buy announcers if only you would be able to hear them. Imagine you buy a skin and only you see it, not the other players...

3. We have a Leaver strike system. The first Leave is forgiven tho. So if you leave the second match you get a one hour ban. This effect is ascending.

4. No, just no.

5. No. 

6. Imagine you have this scenario im real life. You can put someone into prison just because enough people voted for it. Without a clear evidence. Very dystopian.

7. You lose -2,5 MMR and get +10 if you win with a dc in your team. Perhaps we can increase that a bit.

I don't know what your rank is, but the higher it gets the better your gaming experience will become.

At least I am not annoyed by leavers because it does not happen very often in +1600mmr  games. And if it happens, and you don't see a way to win, just leave as well and go next?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Eidetik said:

Remakes need to be team vote only, 3 out of 5 to pass. Queue times, even on US servers which are already 8 minutes long, NOT 2 MINS EVER, even though it advertises itself as such, are unaffected by such an option as remakes. In fact, they will improve! Anyone afk or disconnected by the time the remake vote is cast, is punished as a leaver; which, refer to #3.

dude so , we will never get a game then, cuz every game would be remaked, dont like your team pick? just remake, some1 from your team died fast ? just remake. dont like player's stats in your team?  just remake , its would be 99.9% of games remaked. so no , its a bad idea,

Agree about interface

Edited by BeatFactor``
  • Like 1

Why are my games so low-level people? I am almost 1700 mmr, but I am calibrated with people with 1500 mmr. They do not have the experience or the ability to play in these types of games. Could you please fix your matchmaking system and stop putting silver together with gold or diamonds?

i play since beta.. and this matchmakin is making me quit.. i have to play with monkeys and all my efforts are gone.. hours of game trying to improve my stats wasted by mediocre system and programmers. This game is dead.

4. You need to restrict player chat to team only. There is no need for teams to be able to talk to one another since there is nothing good being said to one another, and no need for the teams to interact. Teams only troll one another. Especially on remakes. So what is the point? Its stupid and irresponsible.

I actually both agree and disagree on that.

Lately I have witnessed a surprising and welcome amount of remakes when remakes were needed. not always but surely by far alot more frequently than all the other past years combined.
That aside, I would generally agree that teamchat only would reduce the toxicity to a certain extend, HOWEVER in that case pause durations would need to be hit to be 3, 2, 1 minutes instead of 1, 1, 1 minute as it currently is.
why?
occasionally you need a bit more than that one minute. and while there are sufficent people that unpause after a minute, or even rightaway abusing a certain bug, there are also plenty who actually wait.

and tell you what, those paused moments when everyone starts to chat actually hold the most memorable moments of chat interaction for me, i've ever had with this community.
and more often than not in a positive way!

Prio 1: IF a player gets terminated it should count as leaver even if RMK. There are No to low risk to leave Early or in picking phase currently

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, Netzpatron said:

I don't know what your rank is, but the higher it gets the better your gaming experience will become.

Have we been playing different games bceause I've had the same shitty experiences on Diamond /mixed Leg ranked games as on Silver/gold.
Out of fairness I would like to point out that I've also had a fair amount of satisfying games on either bracket.

The only statement regarding this I would agree on with anyone, is that on Silver or Lower people way too often ragequit after dying once or twice.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, Eidetik said:

Z button-> Team chat.... Some people love the interactions with others, some people love the banter, i myself like to say : ez , when i kill my mid 1 vs 1. and same time i can get frustrated. and coz i can use this, i just press Z-> TEAM CHAT( even sometimes set it to whispers), focus on the game, and if i win i copy paste the all chat banter back to them, oh boy it feels good 🙂

I have seen this complaint many times, the game offers you the solution already, dunno why everyone is crying about it. HoN is the best of its kind in terms of banters as there is direct communication.  If you can handle the banter then just mute it,the option is there.  

3 hours ago, merryhonmas said:

Have we been playing different games bceause I've had the same shitty experiences on Diamond /mixed Leg ranked games as on Silver/gold.
Out of fairness I would like to point out that I've also had a fair amount of satisfying games on either bracket.

The only statement regarding this I would agree on with anyone, is that on Silver or Lower people way too often ragequit after dying once or twice.

Leaving during picking phase because u didnt get ur role is very Common in higher brackets. Since there are low risk of the game not being remaked. 

I Always pass RMK vote IF someone disconnects. But it hurts My heart knowing hte leaver who left on purpose cuz of some disagreement in lane Up or w/e gets unpunished cuz match is deleted. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 7:28 AM, Eidetik said:

2. You need to give players an option to turn off the annoying announcer banners on the top of the screen, and the announcers in other voices, and leave the game at its standard announcer ONLY. If the player wants to.

Vaguely recall there used to be a mod for this.  Announcers can be turned off in-game.

3. LEAVERS NEED TO BE PUNISHED HARD. And I MEAN HARD.

I would accept a 50-100% increase in punishment.  Secondly, I would support votekick allowable straight away even for DC's.  Making the team wait 5 mins for a weak compensation is too much to ask.  Most will opt to pause for a DC then kick.

This is possible for a mod.  I asked Engineer (the primary mod maintainer) because, more often than not, All Chat encourages me to be toxic.  The only time All Chat is even useful is to explain pauses. I'm happy if this goes.

5. Remakes need to be team vote only, 3 out of 5 to pass.

No but it should always need only 1 vote from the opposing team.  Currently, it always needs 6 votes regardless of how many Leavers you have.

6. There needs to be a report system in place that is actually effective.

It already exists.  The only real problems with it are:
a) a lack of GMs.
b) problems for legit reporters getting their reports read.  Until you've reached a threshold of 10 GM-validated reports you need 2 people to report for anything which isn't chat abuse.
c) refusal to participate remains unclear.  As I understand it, AFK is allowed as long as you're not actively dodging the AFK detection.

THAT SHOULD BE A RED FLAG for you devs.

The game went into maintenance over a year ago.  ElementUser is doing more now but I don't know if any other the other FB staff are still involved.  Another problems is ElementUser didn't write much if any of the code.  So anything where the code is obscure, plus things like a new UI are unlikely to happen.

Edited by NubbyMcNub