Slither wards have been bugged for a long time.

The old way Slither wards worked roughly was that you drop one and it starts attacking whatever it can.

Since some time ago Slither wards when dropped now may decide to attack something when they are dropped but then they stop attacking and sit there even if enemy units or heroes are within range. The wards can be individually microed to attack a new target but at 10 dmg a pop it's really inefficient and inelegant.
The expected result is that once placed wards will attack anything they can any time they can.
This current issue seems to make Slither's wards skill about 85-90% useless and a pain to use. They are no longer much of a viable skill build because of this issue or bug.
Please fix this or revert this so wards don't just sit and watch enemies by default.

I'm playing MW exclusively btw if that matters.

Ok after messing with this in a bots game I figured out the problem.

Auto Select Summonings is Enabled by Default so if you don't know what that's doing you drop wards and then move your character around and press Cancel and Hold button. This causes all your wards (or any summon I guess) to stop and sit there doing nothing because by default they've been added to your control group without your knowledge.

I'd love it if Auto Select Summonings was not on by default due to issues like this where new players (or even me after thousands of games) would not know why the wards just stop working and sit there doing nothing. If people then want to learn to use it for more efficiency they can up their game by turning it on.

This seems like a "feature" that will be assumed to be a bug in future unless people go out of their way to practice and figure it out and then find this Option which is buried in the extensive options menus.

Edited by BadEnufDude

It's technically working as intended. You are allowed & intended to issue Hold commands to wards in case you wanted them to not attack anything.

Auto select summonings are allowed by default because of pets & such.

I can perhaps look into flagging certain pets/gadgets as exceptions for the auto-select feature somehow though. Perhaps in the future I can find time to do so.

Edited by ElementUser
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, ElementUser said:

Do you have disable auto aggro enabled in your options? 

Hey Elementuser, I am somehow unable to open up my own thread about a bug, what should I do? 

13 minutes ago, Flensbrieost said:

Hey Elementuser, I am somehow unable to open up my own thread about a bug, what should I do? 

If it's not obvious already, the chances of addressing a bug at this time is slim to none. You are free to try to report it, but honestly unless it's something gamebreaking, it's best to just not report it at this point of the game's life cycle.

Alright, I am unable to use my left mouse button outside any UI parts like the shop, left hero portrait, settings menu, inventory, etc. If I try to target any heroes with spells or just selecting them nothing happens. Also I can't bind Alt+r but all other binds work. Do you know what could cause this? 

I've tried repairing the game, but I am unable to uninstal it somehow since it says the file is not associated with anything. 

2 hours ago, Flensbrieost said:

Alright, I am unable to use my left mouse button outside any UI parts like the shop, left hero portrait, settings menu, inventory, etc. If I try to target any heroes with spells or just selecting them nothing happens. Also I can't bind Alt+r but all other binds work. Do you know what could cause this? 

I've tried repairing the game, but I am unable to uninstal it somehow since it says the file is not associated with anything. 

Sounds like a local issue, so it's not worth looking into. 

Try this: