Are there plans to fix -0.5MMR loss for high-ranked players leaving games?

Posted (edited)

Currently, the -0.5MMR loss makes it such that higher-ranked players e.g. Legendary/Immortal can leave games whenever they choose with minimal consequence. T

This is arguably the biggest issue plaguing Diamond-Immortal games, and it can be resolved simply by a mandated minimum MMR loss whenever solo q e.g. at least base -3MMR, which would double to -6MMR if the player leaves, even if they're an Immortal in a Diamond/Legendary game.

Doing so should significantly reduce the number of games where higher-ranked players would leave the game at the first instance of discontent and drastically improve the quality of games. And to prevent abuse, e.g. Immortal player queuing with D3 player to boost MMR, the +0.5/-0.5 MMR can still be implemented for the Immortal player with the idea being the Immortal player is less likely to leave the game in such a scenario since they're queued with someone else.

Happy to hear what people think and if there are challenges to implementing this on FB side.

Edited by a`pakattack
  • Like 1

It's really sad when talented players leave or crap on their teammates because they feel entitled to the highest quality standard in a matchmaking queue. I can tell you your lack of humility and respect (which is earned but it doesn't excuse you being a garbage person) is going to bite you in the arse at some point in your life, maybe then you'll have matured. Though I can understand that this community inspires the worst by enabling really shitty people, I genuinely hope you strive for something better than that at least on principle.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SupaPowaXXL said:

Not sure what bug you are referring to but afaik if someone completely disconnects and the game is then remade their leave won't count because no stats at all from the game are recorded. Correct me if I'm wrong

This is the bug I had assumed as well, and fixing this definitely helps.

Still, I'm of the mind that MMR matters more to high-ranked players, especially as many of the remaining players in the game have amassed hundreds if not thousands of games already and it takes a significant number of games to actually affect their leave%. Thus, I am still advocating for fairer MMR penalties for leavers, even if their initial MMR gain/loss is minimal. Like, a flat 5MMR loss minimum for leaving a game would imo be a good deterrence for Legendary/Immortal players from leaving the game since MMR gains become more difficult to attain at such a bracket.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, twoscoopsREE said:

It's really sad when talented players leave or crap on their teammates because they feel entitled to the highest quality standard in a matchmaking queue. I can tell you your lack of humility and respect (which is earned but it doesn't excuse you being a garbage person) is going to bite you in the arse at some point in your life, maybe then you'll have matured. Though I can understand that this community inspires the worst by enabling really shitty people, I genuinely hope you strive for something better than that at least on principle.

I agree - with a dwindling playerbase that still suffers from smurf and griefer issues, this problem with high-ranked leavers is at least something that can be more readily addressed with the direct benefit of improving the quality of games in Gold and beyond, which still comprises a sizable chunk of the playerbase. These penalties would also have trickle down benefits such that a Gold or a Diamond in a Silver game would also be disincentivized for leaving in spite of having a +0.5/-0.5 MMR status during the picking phase (though this is far less common).

Edited by a`pakattack

Bumping this - mostly hoping to get the attention of someone on staff to determine if this is feasible and could be a part of future plans, though I'm aware discussions on upcoming patch notes are also taking place atm.

Once again, other root issues in HoN have to be taken care of first before anything like this is looked into. There are many reasons for this (risk, resources, etc.)

Once we have the time and the resources to address these root issues, then we will consider changes like this.

However, it is worth noting that if such a change occurs, those high ranked players can just tank their MMR easily to re-stomp players in the lower brackets, etc. So it's not a healthy change on its own, and that is why the root issues have to be addressed first.